New Garmin nuvi 700 series GPS

jpmorgan37

Dave and Dewey:

I use two. I have a Magellan 760 and MS Streets and Trips. I like them both and the Magellan gives me a 2 mile warning, a 1/2 mile warning and gives me street names and route numbers. I like the MS Streets because I can adjust the maps from big picture (100's of miles) down to a couple of hundred feet. The two work great together 99.9% of the time. Occasionally the disagree on which route is best, but not often and this is usually due to a current download of road construction or a new route just opened. My 760 is two years old, so not the most current information.

John

Jimmyt5

Dave Tressell said:
I purchased a 360 nuvi and am very unsatisfied with it. I have used a laptop in the truck before w/ DeLormie in the past and plan on going back to that. I like the fact that you can see all the surrounding roads and names. The 360 tells you to go so many miles on a street in a town and you don't know if it is the route # you want.

I have a TomTom one XL that was given to me as a gift. I had been useing DeLormie also, I am going back to it, easy planing, always see were you are going, you can install all sorts of POI like Passport,Flying J, WalMarts and they all show up on the laptop....

Jim

I have the Nuvi 860 and like it pretty much. The new multiple way points would be nice but I can work around that easily.

The neatest thing I like is the bluetooth for my cell phone. I can actually see who is calling, or make a call without my dang glasses :)

The traffic info would be nice if you lived in a big city but otherwise not needed for country wide traveling I think.

I would recommend the upgrade to a 760 just for the the Bluetooth.

Dean

snuffy

Jim Beletti said:
Holy cow Mark - that's cheap!

Thank you for the link. I just bought two of them :)

Jim

Well, I couldn't afford two, but I did get one for a Christmas present. Best price by far.

jpmorgan37

Now they say, We're sorry, this product is not available.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

John

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Go and visit Jim, ply him with adult beverges and some ladies with no cloths on, well you get the drift.......
hahaha

jbeletti

Even easier. First person to post a request for my second unit for my cost plus shipping (about $340) gets it. Turns out my wife does not want one of her own to use all the time but only to use one when she travels.

Takers??

Jim

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Garmin nuvi 750

sjrellis said:
sislv - Have you received your gps from J & H?
We haven't received our 750 yet. I'm beginning to wonder where the hold up is........with Garmin distributors or.......with J & H Products.

Garmin had informed me the units were available while J & H said Garmin played games a year ago with the release of the 650. Seems they weren't really available when they said they were.

I'll probably contact J & H this week and see what they say......

Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's funny how this happens to me after I've bought something else. I bought the Garmin C340. I think they have the same software though. That being said, my Garmin has led me astray a few times. I've been close to tossing it out the window once or twice. I wish there was a smaller laptop that was affordable and use it with MS streets & trips/GPS.

Tom of Ypsi

Ray, I agree with you on being sent on a wild goose chase. We have the Garmin 650 bought in June 2007 and it sends me the long way, wrong way any way it wants to go. I have tried to update but I am told there are no new updates available. Before I leave on a long trip I cross reference with my DeLorme on my laptop and my Garmin plus the Rand McNally Atlas. Seems to help but does take some time.

jpmorgan37

Ray;
I don't remember if you saw my laptop mount. Here's the Link I have a 400 W inverter that runs the laptop and I keep MS Streets going all the time. I also have the Magellan 760 and between the two of them, I can find my way without much problem. Occasionally, they argue with each other, but not often.
John

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Garmin Nuvi 750 on its' way

I wound up canceling our order with J & H Products for a Garmin nuvi 750 GPS as we waited a month and still couldn't get a date that they could get one.

Searched the Internet again for another online supplier and found Megagps had them listed at a good price.

http://www.megagps.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1416

I sent them an email Saturday inquiring if they had them in stock, and got a quick reply that they were getting about 95 of them in on Monday and to order one if we wanted to get it before Thanksgiving. UPS wasn't going to be working Thanksgiving nor the day after they said. So I ordered one Saturday and got an email today (Monday) that our order was scheduled to ship today by UPS 2 Day Air for delivery on Wednesday 21 November !

Garmin has been great to deal with also as I had called them to get their City Navigator NT (North America) cdrom and they sent it free of charge. You need it to be able to set up or edit maps on our computer then to be loaded into the Nuvi 750. There was also good news on their Web Site announcing they had just completed an agreement with NavTeq to continue to use their map databases, and they withdrew their offer to buy the 'other' competing Map Database company.

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/111607.html

I'll keep the forum posted when I receive it and my thoughts on it....

Tom