New member and New Big Horn 3070RL 2012

djgarcia

Hello,
We are looking forward to joining and meeting members of the Hearland Owners Club. We are also interested in participating in the Northern Calif. Chapter rallies and activities.
Dick and Diana Garcia

jimtoo

Hi Dick and Diana,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed

Check out the Portal Page for the rallies, go and have a great time, meet great people and they always have lots of great food at the rallies.

If you have questions, your Heartland Family is here for you.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Horn.

Jim M

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Welcome Dick and Diana! So happy you finally found a model to suit you!

The Nor-Cal rally will be held in the Spring, but in the meantime, the OR campout is in September and lots of folks from Nor-Cal will be going. The Central Chapter is very active as well, and Teresa does an awesome job with her activities. You'll find there are a lot of overlaps in Chapters because we all enjoy going to each other's events. If you can, plan on attending the National Rally in Gilette Wy, in June. There are many members going from CA and will most likely be a few caravans and you are welcome to join any that suit your schedule. Keep watching the forum as it get closer to the event.

And as always, feel free to call if you have questions I can help with. My boss's son is bringing home a new Cyclone Ti this weekend that we'll be decking out, so should be fun to see.

djgarcia

Thanks for the warm welcome to the Heartland chapter of Northern Calif. I am sure we will have many questions after we pick up our new Big Horn and will know where to go to get answers:) I am curretly in the process of picking out a 5th wheel hitch and as looking at the "Pro Series Fith Wheel 20K hitch" and would like some opinions. Thanks
Dick

djgarcia

Hi Deb,
Thanks for the reply. Your previous e-mails were invaluable to us while we were trying to sort out what were really wanted in a 5th. wheel. We stopped at a RV dealer in Grand Junction, Or. on the way home and met a great salesman who was willing to take the time to answer all our questions especially when it came to negotiating the price. They actually beat the price of the dealer back in Mich. :) Whats your opinion of the Reese Pro Series Fifth wheel hitch 20K? I like the double jaw and the fully floating head pivots 4 ways. Our 5th wheel has a GVWR of 1400K but I figure the extra weight capacity of the 20K hitch won't hurt. Keep in touch.
Dick and Diana
Chico

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome to the family! As Deb said, there is an informal campout in Oregon the end of Sept. That you are welcome to attend. The national rally in June will be a big event and worth trying to put into your schedule.

Deb and I work together on our rallies and campouts a lot of the time. I'm sure we'll run into you at some point.

Kristy

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels". CA has a couple of active HL groups which will be glad to have ya'll join in. Enjoy and travel safely.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the Reese 20k with the big head and single wrap around jaw.

Like this,http://www.etrailer.com/multi-produ...up&hhyear=2006&vehicleid=2006303794&hunter=5w

It is many times easier to hitch up than my previous Reese 16k with the small head and 2 jaws. I know others have opinions, but I absolutly love this hitch.

BTW, you are specifying "northern California". Feel free to venture further south to central, or southern as well. :) Plus, there is a rally in Las Vegas in September.

Enjoy your new rig. Trace

djgarcia

Thanks for the reply Trace. Can you explain the advantages of the "single wrap" vs the "locable double jaw"? My new trailer has a GVWR of 14,000lbs., is there any disadvantage or reason not to go for the 20K hitch as opposed to the 16K hitch, other than the difference in money. Thanks again for your input.
Dick

djgarcia

Thanks Nathan. Did your Big Horn come with 2 or 4 dinning chairs? Heartland is telling my dealer that the 5th wheels now only come with 2 chairs and that you have to buy the other two?? What have you heard? Thanks
Dick

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dick, I think that is normal now to only have 2 chairs. Lots of people did not like the space they would take up. We have 4 chairs and they do come in handy at times. Otherwise they can be a PITA. Most people,we did, have unscrewed the table from the floor so it can be moved out from the wall. Never had a problem with it moving around. We did ours and it does help with room to set at the table.

As to the hitch....I would go with the 20K. Cause ya never know when you might get a heavier trailer.

BTW, there is a rally in LV in September. Its posted in the rally section.

djgarcia

Dick, I think that is normal now to only have 2 chairs. Lots of people did not like the space they would take up. We have 4 chairs and they do come in handy at times. Otherwise they can be a PITA. Most people,we did, have unscrewed the table from the floor so it can be moved out from the wall. Never had a problem with it moving around. We did ours and it does help with room to set at the table.

As to the hitch....I would go with the 20K. Cause ya never know when you might get a heavier trailer.

BTW, there is a rally in LV in September. Its posted in the rally section.

Bob,
Thanks for sharing the information on the chairs. Our dealer was going to check out the chair issue with Heartland. So can i assume that "screwing and unscrewing" the table is not a big time or difficulity issue?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dick, just to be clear on unscrewing the table. We left it unscrewed. The only thing we did was make a strap to hold it in place. We placed a strap over the table and used the "D" rings on the floor that hold the straps for the chairs.

Westwind

I have a 2012 and it has 4 chairs and a expandable table so everyone is comfortable. I think I would rather have the 4 chairs, or at least give me two collapseable ones. I would join the forum and ask the factory about that, of course certain floor plans might dictate 2 chairs.