New member considering Bighorn or Big Country

NHCelt

Hi all. Presently have a 2010 Carriage Cameo 32FWS that we have had since new, and we have been very happy with the unit (our second Carriage)...but we are starting to get the new rv bug. We spend about 5 months a year on the road putting on quite a few miles (8-10,000 year) so we are looking for a unit that will stand up to the road.

Our goal is to keep the unit in the 35' range, and have found both Bighorn and Big Country floorplans that look good.

So thanks for letting me lurk...and any guidance is much appreciated.

I know all units have issues, but for those of you that use your rigs for heavy travel, how are they holding up? Also, I have "never lube"
axles on the Cameo, and love the zero maintenance. I don't see them offered, so what is the routine with the ez lubes????

Also, the Cameo still looks almost new with a once a year waxing...and that includes the graphics. I have noticed some brands (Keystone) that have problems with graphics fading and peeling...so how do the Heartlands hold up?

Lastly, where is the best East coast place to buy...is there a consensus? I probably will be trying to trade rigs while traveling to FL from NH in the spring and price us the big consideration for me as we don't really have a local dealer to support.

Thanks!!!!!
NHCelt

MTPockets

We've been very happy with our 35 ft Big Horn, full time now about 3 1/2 years and well travelled, from Florida to Washington, to Arizona and again twice and Ohio and in-between. We've had non-issue problems. Awning motor replaced under warranty by mobile tech., microwave/convection replaced under extended warranty, grey water dump valve replaced under warranty by mobile tech.. All non-Heartland issues.. Unit still shines like new, no fading decals. We're outside in sun year around and apply Rejex every 10-12 months. We ordered our unit with the optional high gloss finish which may be why it shines, but I'm sure the Rejex helps keep it that way. You'll be happy with whatever you choose.

danemayer

There are a few of us who use the EZ Lube fittings to grease the bearings, but I would say that most of us don't trust them to do a good job lubing the bearings and to not unknowingly blow out the inner seal.

RoadJunkie

It is interesting that some of my graphics on a '10 Bighorn didn't hold up. What is interesting is that the same graphics on the door side and off door side are curling and falling off. The upper cloud, for example, is failing on both sides of the coach while the good non-peeling graphics are good on both sides of the coach. So there was something about the material, shape, or colors of some graphics did not hold up.

MTPockets

It is interesting that some of my graphics on a '10 Bighorn didn't hold up. What is interesting is that the same graphics on the door side and off door side are curling and falling off. The upper cloud, for example, is failing on both sides of the coach while the good non-peeling graphics are good on both sides of the coach. So there was something about the material, shape, or colors of some graphics did not hold up.
Could be sides don't see the direct sun rays like the front cap?

RoadJunkie

Nope, even graphics that adjacent to the failing graphics are holding up...exact same light/ UV stress.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Len, they are made from different material. Mine are the same..dark blue and maroon ones are going bad. "Heartland" ones are still good. Go figure.

RoadJunkie

Well I was able to get some replacements, but they are running out of the entire line. I guess the bad ones were the first to become sold out. Time for full body paint!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Len, take the $10K money and get a new BH. I have heard that HL changed the graphic provider to get better quality ones.

Nichols

It might be a little out of the way but give Wilkin's RV in Bath, NY a call. If you can wait till September then you might want to go to the Hershey, Pa. RV show, it will take at least 3 days to see it but you can save some money there.

Good Luck