New New Port Yesterday

Mike4401

Hi there,

My wife Paula and I picked up our new Newport at Sutton RV in Eugene Or yesterday. We are camped at Armitage County Park in Coburg for the next 3 days, then heading south, eventually landing in Cathedral City where the weather may be a bit toasty this time of year.

Our PDI at Sutton went great. The coach was in great shape. Spotless inside and out. Fit and finish look great, and everything that we tried worked fine.

We have stumbled in to a few issues today though....

1. Can't figure out how to turn on the front closet lights. Cannot locate an extra switch, and they do not activate with the switch for the other ceiling lights in the front bathroom. Hard to believe that the multiple lights in the closet are all burned out but no other ones are. Am I missing a switch somewhere, or do I need to start swapping lights around to see if I am getting power in the closet? I know the light covers come off by pulling straight down. Do the lads pull straight down to remover also?

2. There is a white plastic water device under the kitchen slide out that is leaking. It is on the refrigerator ice maker line, and I think it is the drain. The leak is where the white pex line goes in to the plastic valve. I am using a "Jess" approved PRV set at 40 psi. I did not notice this leak at the dealer yesterday when the coach was hooked up to water, but I suspect they had less pressure on their hookup. How does the pex attach to that device? There is a black plastic knerl type thing where the water line goes in to the valve? If I can get that apart, I can go over to Sutton and get a new one.

I have read just about everything on the forum, and have learned a lot. Prolly more questions coming as we move along.

Kip and Mike were great to work with at Sutton, and Kevin Atkinson, the west coast factory rep for Landmark was there to greet us yesterday as well. Great family we've all got here with Heartland Landmark.

Thanks in advance....

mike

hutchman

Congrats on the new coach! Sutton has a couple of units we are interested in seeing. I take it from your post that you would recommend them?

danemayer

Hi Mike,

The refrigerator water feed line is teed into the cold water line that goes to the kitchen island sink. Look under the sink, and perhaps to the side behind drawers to find the cutoff valve. Type/shape of cutoff could vary. I'm attaching a picture below that should help.

That'll stop the immediate leak assuming it's the refrigerator line drain as you suspect.

The drain valve may not actually be very useful. In testing a few years ago when Heartland starting shipping residential refrigerators, we found that the drain valve would not effectively drain all water. As a result, compressed air is recommended.

If you choose to bypass the drain valve, you can probably find a fitting at a local hardware store to join the to ends of the poly line.

Keep in mind that when temps drop, even if you're heating the coach, the poly line under the slide is exposed to outside air temps and will freeze and break if the water isn't evacuated.

Here's a link to our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

Attachments

• Refrigerator Water Line Drain Valve.jpg
    Refrigerator Water Line Drain Valve.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 62
  • supply line drain 2 annotated.jpg
    supply line drain 2 annotated.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 63

LTZ

California-N Chapter Leaders-retired
Hi there,

My wife Paula and I picked up our new Newport at Sutton RV in Eugene Or yesterday. We are camped at Armitage County Park in Coburg for the next 3 days, then heading south, eventually landing in Cathedral City where the weather may be a bit toasty this time of year.

Our PDI at Sutton went great. The coach was in great shape. Spotless inside and out. Fit and finish look great, and everything that we tried worked fine.

1. Can't figure out how to turn on the front closet lights. Cannot locate an extra switch, and they do not activate with the switch for the other ceiling lights in the front bathroom. Hard to believe that the multiple lights in the closet are all burned out but no other ones are. Am I missing a switch somewhere, or do I need to start swapping lights around to see if I am getting power in the closet? I know the light covers come off by pulling straight down. Do the lads pull straight down to remover also?

2. There is a white plastic water device under the kitchen slide out that is leaking. It is on the refrigerator ice maker line, and I think it is the drain. The leak is where the white pex line goes in to the plastic valve. I am using a "Jess" approved PRV set at 40 psi. I did not notice this leak at the dealer yesterday when the coach was hooked up to water, but I suspect they had less pressure on their hookup. How does the pex attach to that device? There is a black plastic knerl type thing where the water line goes in to the valve? If I can get that apart, I can go over to Sutton and get a new one.

I have read just about everything on the forum, and have learned a lot. Prolly more questions coming as we move along.

Kip and Mike were great to work with at Sutton, and Kevin Atkinson, the west coast factory rep for Landmark was there to greet us yesterday as well. Great family we've all got here with Heartland Landmark.

Thanks in advance....

mike

Congrats on the new coach Mike and Paula. How about joining us a rally in the future? All the rallies are posted on the portal page. We have sent you our contact information please feel free to contact us anytime.

Chuck & Donna

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey Mike,

Congratulations on the New Newport!! We also have a New Newport!!

The closet lights are in the bedroom below the TV and are titled "Closet" and are the 3rd switch down from the top.

Rod

Mike4401

Thanks for all the well wishes and replies.

For20hunter, THAT is the switch we were looking for. Thanks. Just my humble opinion, but that switch should have gone in the bathroom with the other 2 multiplex switches that are already there. We can live with it though. By the way, the multi plex switch system is slick. Never had one of those before.

Thanks to the folks at Sutton, I also have the water leak fixed. By pushing the black fitting "in", it allowed me to pull the pex tubing out. I blew in to the valve, wiped the end of the pex off, and put it back together. When I pushed the pex in to the drain valve, it became clear to me that it was not pushed far enough in at the factory. Easy fix. Does not leak now.

Thanks again for the help....

mike

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
That's good news Mike. Hope you join the Heartland Owners Club and join us at a rally or two!!

Rod

jbeletti

Great chatting with you today Mike!

For all, Rod is correct about the clothes closet being on the bedroom multiplex switch panel. In all other LM floor plans, the clothes closet is in the bedroom. The Newport is the exception. My guess is that in planning the multiplex system, the Newport clothes closet location was not considered.

I have asked Heartland, going forward, to consider removing the closet lighting from the multiplex system and adding a standard (load-switching) point-of-use switch outside the closet. Time will tell what their plan is.

FullSizeRender 228.jpg

Mike4401

One more thing for "hutchman". Yes, I would very much recommend Sutton. We bought from a guy named Kip, who has since moved on to finance manager.....great guy. After he promoted we worked with Mike Bissett.

I always like doing my "deal" over the phone. I hate sitting in somebody else's office arguing over prices. Worked out very well for us, and I am sure it will with you also.

The folks in the service department that checked us out yesterday were great also. No pressure, any where along the deal. You are welcome to say that Mike Schnarr recommended them.

thanks,

ms

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuclearcowboy

Hi Mike,

The refrigerator water feed line is teed into the cold water line that goes to the kitchen island sink. Look under the sink, and perhaps to the side behind drawers to find the cutoff valve. Type/shape of cutoff could vary. I'm attaching a picture below that should help.

That'll stop the immediate leak assuming it's the refrigerator line drain as you suspect.

The drain valve may not actually be very useful. In testing a few years ago when Heartland starting shipping residential refrigerators, we found that the drain valve would not effectively drain all water. As a result, compressed air is recommended.

If you choose to bypass the drain valve, you can probably find a fitting at a local hardware store to join the to ends of the poly line.

Keep in mind that when temps drop, even if you're heating the coach, the poly line under the slide is exposed to outside air temps and will freeze and break if the water isn't evacuated.

Here's a link to our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.
Dan,
On our unit, I replaced our ice maker line with a SS braided line - when doing this, I noted that the line is not exposed anywhere to the outside elements - it does run under the belly for a ways, which is heated, then comes back up inside the unit behind the cabinets to the refrigerator rear. Their unit may be the same. Not saying it won't freeze in really cold weather. Also, it doesn't have any drain valves on the line.

jbeletti

Dan,
On our unit, I replaced our ice maker line with a SS braided line - when doing this, I noted that the line is not exposed anywhere to the outside elements - it does run under the belly for a ways, which is heated, then comes back up inside the unit behind the cabinets to the refrigerator rear. Their unit may be the same. Not saying it won't freeze in really cold weather. Also, it doesn't have any drain valves on the line.

Nick - there are a couple of layouts where the ice maker line is not exposed outside of the frame. One is where the refer is not in a slide out. Another is where the refer is in a slide out, but where a cabinet at the end of the slide out is angled and flex lines (hot/cold/waste) travel in a space within a cabinet in that angle.

Looking at the layout of the BH 3970 RD, I'm not sure how the ice maker line isn't exposed outside of the frame.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz341.jpg

Nuclearcowboy

Nick - there are a couple of layouts where the ice maker line is not exposed outside of the frame. One is where the refer is not in a slide out. Another is where the refer is in a slide out, but where a cabinet at the end of the slide out is angled and flex lines (hot/cold/waste) travel in a space within a cabinet in that angle.

Looking at the layout of the BH 3970 RD, I'm not sure how the ice maker line isn't exposed outside of the frame.

View attachment 53407
Jim,
You are absolutely correct, my bad. It does exit near the frame area and runs about 4-5 feet on the harness before going up into the slide. What was I thinking?? 😳

Oldelevatorman

Hi there,

Thanks in advance....

mike

The closet light switch is in the bedroom with the bedroom lights to the side of the TV!
Underneath the kitchen slide is the water tank drain also. I'll look at mine again in the morning. We have a Newport as well, bought it in March in Phoenix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome! Glad your experience with Sutton went well. We bought our Key West from Kip a couple of years ago. Actually it was the first LM purchased from Sutton. Nothing but positive things to say about how we were treated during and after the sale.

Like Chuck and Donna said above, we hope to meet you at a rally in the not too distant future. The forum is great for information but it doesn't hold a candle to the friendships made at rallies.

Take Care,
Kristy