New North Trail, 30RKD

Amity

We have had our new RV now for 2 weeks and took it out Labor Day for its first excursion. I am new to this forum so if this has already been covered let me know and direct me to the answers please. We have noticed that there is not cut off switch to the battery and continues to power lights, etc. We don;t want to have to keep the power running to the RV when parked at home, but don't want to run the battery down. Has anyone found a way to install a cut off switch to this battery? Second we notice that there is quite a bit of movement while parked and on the stabilizers will corner jacks help in this regard? We placed about 6 inches of blocks under the stabilizers which helped some but there still seems like there is a lot of movement. Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Amity,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some answers to your questions soon.

Enjoy the forum and your new North Trail.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Amity, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & family. We hope you had a great 1st experience with your new trailer.
A cut off switch for the battery si normally an aftermarket add on. There are several types available and can be added to a convenient location. On a travel trailer, the battery box is somewhat exposed so finding a good location for a switch may be fun. If you can locate the converter for your system, you may be able to install one there if the access is easy for you. Otherwise, an external switch LIKE THIS may be the answer and can be mounted to an external box.

jimtoo

Also,, if you do install a cutoff switch make sure you install it after the connection to the emergency disconnect switch for the brakes,,, or you have some positive way of making sure it is turned on before you tow the trailer. This is just incase of a disconnect while towing.

Jim M

pegmikef

Here is a real simple one I used to use before I started keeping it hooked up to shore power. I was using the 5.99 model that just attaches to your terminal. I used it because it was easier than trying to mount one of the others since it is a travel trailer. The down side is you have to open your battery box to turn it on or off, but I would only have to do it once when I picked up the trailer and again when I stored it. I always had to turn it on to hook up because I have an electric tongue jack so as Jim M pointed out, the emergency switch for the brakes always had power.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=battery switch

CliffP

CliffP

We have had our new RV now for 2 weeks and took it out Labor Day for its first excursion. I am new to this forum so if this has already been covered let me know and direct me to the answers please. We have noticed that there is not cut off switch to the battery and continues to power lights, etc. We don;t want to have to keep the power running to the RV when parked at home, but don't want to run the battery down. Has anyone found a way to install a cut off switch to this battery? Second we notice that there is quite a bit of movement while parked and on the stabilizers will corner jacks help in this regard? We placed about 6 inches of blocks under the stabilizers which helped some but there still seems like there is a lot of movement. Thanks

Amity,
Congrats on your new North Trail and welcome to the forum and family! This is a great place for info! Just ask and someone will have the answer.