New Oregon Big Country Owner

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
WOW..bummer it worked out that way but where there is a will, there is a way!

The first thing that comes to mind when you mentioned flipping the axles is, the hitch may also need to be raised (or pin box lowered) so that you can continue to keep the rig in a level mode while towing!

Let us know how things go!

Best Wishes!

Razduck

I just got off the phone with our Salesman about 1 hour ago. He has additional ideas, that we can try next week. We will try doing a driveway build-up using wood blocks to get the RV's axle up onto the driveway quicker, and then causing an earlier lift on the low side, which hopefully will provide enough height to clear the trouble spot. Our Salesperson has been very, very helpful and assures us he will do everything in his power to enable us to get this resolved, and hopefully not have to flip the axles on the RV. He's actually more than just our Salesperson, he's also a good friend, and I know he will get this resolved to our satisfaction.

Gaffer

I carry my spare inside the belly for that very reason my spare rubbed and I didn't want a compromised spare if I ever needed to use it. My driveway is not all that steep but with a pretty good amount of crown on the street, my rear stabilizer on the drivers side will rub if I didn't build up the transition from street to driveway apron with some lumber. I have considered heavy duty casters at the rear of the frame and you can see comments and opinions including pictrues about that on an earlier thread. If you are seriously considering altering your suspension (I believe your axels are already under your springs) I would leave that job to a shop speciallizing in truck and rv frame and alignment. One of the best is Hendersons in Grants Pass. Altering your suspension will void your frame warrenty but it is only good for one or two years anyway. Don't rush into anything. Do your homework and best of luck.
PJ

Razduck

PJ,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will also remove the spare and put it the belly storage area. Our biggest problem is the bottom of the ladder. After reading your comment about voiding the frame warranty especially, flipping the axles is out of the question. Not something I want to do. I will also look into adding heavy duty casters to the frame at the rear corners. I believe that adding casters and building up the driveway approach with wood, that we will clear and make it into our storage area. We have an area along side of our garage that is 14' wide and 40' deep, and a 30amp circuit to plug into. With this fantastic space for storage, we will do whatever is necessary to use this space, and not pay for a storage space at $75/mo.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just noticed this thread and your idea of casters on the rear. That was an idea I just posted in another thread you have in the factory area. Since you have this topic going in two different threads, I may merge them once the Factory has a chance to see your comments.

Razduck

Thought I would post a picture of the new 3355RL hitched up for the first time when we came to pick-up at the Dealer on Saturday.

IMG_3955.jpg

SJH

Razduck...what actuates your bedroom slide? Is it hydraulic, electric or cable electric? I am just curious...ours is cable!

PS Great looking combo!

Razduck

From what I understand, ours is Hydraulic. There is a hydraulic reservoir and slide activation switch in the first compartment on the door side of the RV.

SJH

From what I understand, ours is Hydraulic. There is a hydraulic reservoir and slide activation switch in the first compartment on the door side of the RV.

That's what I thought I was getting too. Even though we did tour a 3450TS before purchase, for some reason I didn't notice that the bedroom slide is cable electric. The main slides are hydraulic. It is not really an issue just mad at myself for not noticing before I purchased!

Best Wishes!

Razduck

Now that we have been able to get the BC home and in our storage area, I will check out the slide mechanism on the bedroom slide on Thursday. I will get back to you then.

Razduck

Razduck...what actuates your bedroom slide? Is it hydraulic, electric or cable electric? I am just curious...ours is cable!

PS Great looking combo!

I don't see any exposed cable on the Bedroom slide, so I can only assume that ours is hydraulic activated. Does your bedroom slide have cables exposed?

Razduck

We have been able to get everything loaded into our new Big Country, and are ready to hitch-up and hit the road. Now all we need is some time off work to get out for our Maiden Voyage, maybe in early May.;)

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We won't make it until Memorial Day unless we get lucky. Good luck while you watch the days tick by.

bluebirdsnfur

Razduck that's beautiful! That gives me a real good picture of what our's will look like. We just bought a black GMC HD 3500 with towing package but won't pick up our BC for two weeks yet. Having hitch and Firestone air bags installed next week . Still up in the air about which hitch to get.:confused: May I ask which brand and size you have?

Razduck

DebnAl,

We have installed the Pull-Rite 20.5 K Super Hitch. The dealer had just taken this in on trade from a guy that just bought it, then turned around and bought a big MotorCoach. The hitch is not a slider, and after doing some really sharp turns, I see no need for a Slider Hitch. The best part about this hitch, is that it didn't cost us a dime, the dealer threw it in, along with the installation.

From the picture, you can see how level and flat our truck and BC sits when hitched up. I worried about needing Firestone Air Bags, but at this point I think we'll do fine w/o them. We shall see when I get hitch-up now that we have the BC all loaded and ready to hit the road. Hope this helps. :)

bluebirdsnfur

Yes, Thank you. Will check that one too (and price). We were thinking of 18K tho. Do you think 18K is big enough for a BC?

Razduck

Our dealer told us that the 20.5 K hitch was overkill, but it was the best hitch they had. When they offered that hitch to us, my response was Yes!!

They told me that a 16K hitch would be their recommendation, so I think the 18K you are considering should work out great.

What model BC are you buying? Our is the 3355RL, and has a dry weight of 11,200, and 36' 8" in overall length.

bluebirdsnfur

That's good! We will probably go with the 18K then. We bought the 3450 floor plan, 38ft and dry weight of 11,950. We have 'never' hauled anything before and to me that's big! Excited and scared of it all at the same time.

Razduck

I would hitch-up and have an experienced person go with you for the first time. I know you'll be fine, just remember how big an RV you are towing, and take turns wide, and watch the mirrors faithfully. Taking someone with you would help with questions and offer advise. Before long you'll have it down, and be off hitting the road every chance you get. When backing the unit into an RV space make sure you have one person behind the Rv using a two way radio to communicate between each other.

I have towed boats, and RV's for many years, and I find that towing a 5th wheel is easier than towing a boat, or travel trailer. The 5'r follows much better, has a better turning radius, and smoother ride than any travel trailer I have ever towed.

Don't forget that you have a lot of friendly folks here, with years and years of towing experience to help you.