New Owner 31QBS Hitch Question

Imn2vws

Hello All,

New to Heartland with a new 2013 Heartland North Trail 31QBS Caliber Edition. Love the camper, but hate the sway. My sway bar/distribution hitch came "free" with the camper. I don't know the name of the tow bar, but the distribution hitch is connected by chains and has the small brake pad sway control. I tow with a 2009 Expedition 4x4 Limited with 7700 lb tow rating. P Rated tires with 40 lbs while towing.

This thing sways so bad that I don't want to go above 55 even on the freeway. If the wind blows or a big truck goes by, the whole truck and trailer will sway terribly.

Now the big question, what sway setup do I need to correct this? The website lists the GVWR is 6900 lbs, dry weight is 5540 lbs, tongue weight is 675 lbs. I don't have anywhere to weigh the trailer or tongue properly where I live, but we don't carry too much and always camp with full hookups so tow with no fluids. I will be making a 7 hour trip soon and need to fix the sway issue.

I would appreciate any help.

Mark in Raleigh, NC

jimtoo

HI Inm2vws, Mark,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would think you should be OK if your level when hooked up and have the anti-sway bar nice and tight.,, But I do not tow a TT. I am moving this thread to a better area for more help from out other family members.

Enjoy the forum and keep us informed.

Jim M

priorguy

Sounds like you have a trunion bar or round bar WD hitch. The ball height and angle can play a huge factor in how the combination of tow vehicle and trailer perform. Also the numbed of chain links hanging or pulled up can help or hinder performance as well. Look for YouTube videos on setting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imn2vws

Since the Expedition has rear air suspension, something I should have mentioned, the tow vehicle and camper are level. But this tow bar setup, even when the distribution bars are super tight, and the sway bar brake is very tight, sways terribly. I may be doing something wrong, but as far as I know I'm following the setup instructions properly.

Mark in Raleigh, NC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It may be that the tow vehicle wheelbase is too short for that length of trailer. I would look into a better hitch designed for no sway, like the Hensley or Pro-pride. We experienced similar symptoms, and ended up buying a truck instead of the 4-runner we originally used to tow our NT.

dapeqyjy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DonnyB007

Hello All,

New to Heartland with a new 2013 Heartland North Trail 31QBS Caliber Edition. Love the camper, but hate the sway. My sway bar/distribution hitch came "free" with the camper. I don't know the name of the tow bar, but the distribution hitch is connected by chains and has the small brake pad sway control. I tow with a 2009 Expedition 4x4 Limited with 7700 lb tow rating. P Rated tires with 40 lbs while towing.

This thing sways so bad that I don't want to go above 55 even on the freeway. If the wind blows or a big truck goes by, the whole truck and trailer will sway terribly.

Now the big question, what sway setup do I need to correct this? The website lists the GVWR is 6900 lbs, dry weight is 5540 lbs, tongue weight is 675 lbs. I don't have anywhere to weigh the trailer or tongue properly where I live, but we don't carry too much and always camp with full hookups so tow with no fluids. I will be making a 7 hour trip soon and need to fix the sway issue.

I would appreciate any help.

Mark in Raleigh, NC

i noticed you have P rated tires on your trailer! That is dangerous - get those off ASAP and put on ST trailer rated tires. A dealer did the same thing to me on a previous trailer when I was young. I blew two tires before another dealer spotted the huge error - that I had P rated tires on my trailer. That alone will give you a fair bit of sway because of weak side walls.

I use the Husky Center line WD hitch system on mine and am happy with that - no sway at all and I tow a trailer similar to you. Your truck is OK. Angle if truck hitch is critical. Go to a hitch dealer to get them to fix you up, even if you have to travel an hour or so. You sure don't want to get in an accident. Yes and keep your speed low until you get fixed up correctly. (Hitch and tires)

CeeCee99

I picked up a Caliber 30RKDD last weekend and experienced the same sway sensitivity with WD and one sway bar installed by dealer. it wss not a fun ride on a windy day. Considering a Pullrite or Hensley. Anyone have experience with these? Have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 8 ' bed.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I picked up a Caliber 30RKDD last weekend and experienced the same sway sensitivity with WD and one sway bar installed by dealer. it wss not a fun ride on a windy day. Considering a Pullrite or Hensley. Anyone have experience with these? Have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 8 ' bed.

I pull my NT 31BDSS with a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab I use a Equal-I-zer hitch and have not had issues with sway. even with 25+ MPH winds.
I don't even notice the semis passing me. http://www.equalizerhitch.com

Come to the Iowa chapter Rally in Altoona June 20-22 and I would be happy to show you my setup.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...0-2014-to-6-22-2014/page2?p=338988#post338988