New Owner and Member from North Georgia

nfa1eab

Greetings!

Just purchased a 2015 Road Warrior RW 305 and plan to do some extensive travel with our HD Road King and Labrador Retriever. I am a total rookie and hope to learn much from the group here. Tow vehicle is a 2015 Ford F250 Short Bed Crew Cab 4x4 with 6.7 Diesel. In the process of selecting hitch, mount, and pin box for the rig. Thinking of using a Reese Elite 18K hitch, under bed mount, and Reese Airborne Sidewinder Pinbox. Any thoughts on this combination as opposed to a slider and Mor Ryde pinbox. I am going to install air bags on the truck as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

North Georgia Mountains

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions and info from our other members soon.

Enjoy your new toy and have lots of fun.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels". Hopefully in your travels ya'll can come to a couple of rallies. Great way to meet fellow Heartlanders and see what if any modification they have made to their coaches. And also join the Heartland Owners Club. I would like to invite you to the Tn rally in Nashville October 16 - 18 at the Nashville KOA on Music Valley Rd. Sorry but being overseas right now, I don't have the phone number but on the event tab above you can find this information and other upcoming events. There's another rally the weekend before in KY that alot of us are going to and then head on down to Nashville. Enjoy and travel safely.
As for hitches and pin box, we have the B&W turnball Companion hitch and MorRyde pin box.

'Lil Guy'

Welcome to the forum and to the Heartland family. Enjoy your new toy and hope to see you down the road. I have the 5th Airborne pin box and really like it. I'm to new at this to make any recommendations. Again, enjoy that new rig.

danemayer

Greetings!

Just purchased a 2015 Road Warrior RW 305 .....Tow vehicle is a 2015 Ford F250 Short Bed Crew Cab 4x4 with 6.7 Diesel. .... I am going to install air bags on the truck as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

North Georgia Mountains

Hi Ed,

The RW 305 has a GVWR of 15,500 and an empty (no options) pin weight of 2,467. You should check the payload capacity of your F250. The max load it can carry will be on the label inside the driver's door. That payload has to include the actual pin weight along with weight of hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, cargo, pets, and passengers.

For planning purposes (in advance of getting an actual weight), you should expect pin weight to run around 20% of GVWR. That would put the trailer pin weight at around 3,100 lbs. With your other gear in the truck, you could be significantly over the payload rating of the truck.

You wouldn't be the first person to tow in an overloaded condition, but you'll need to consider whether handling in adverse weather conditions will be safe for you and yours, and those around you, and whether you may have excess wear on the truck. Adding air bags may level out the truck and trailer, but won't correct the weight distribution or other issues. Having the garage loaded will help some by reducing some of the pin weight.

Let me suggest you visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing for more detailed information. And once you get the trailer loaded up, you should stop at a CAT Scale to find out the actual weights.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Welcome to the Heartland Family!! You should definitely look up and attend some Heartland Owners Club Rallies in your neck of the woods and meet some like minded folks and I am wiling to bet, develop some lifelong friendships! If you every find yourselves out west you should try and attend one of our Rallies out here and spread some of that Georgia kindness and friendship our way. We have some pretty fantastic people out here and have a great time at our Rallies.

We have a Fifth Airborne King Pin and absolutely love it!

Rod