New Owner Cyclone 2013 3110

MonsterRide

Hello Everyone,

We graduated from tent camping to a Toy Hauler 5th wheel with nothing in between. We love the unit, and as I speak we (me, my wife, and three kids) are escaping the Phoenix heat up in Williams, AZ for the 4th of July weekend.

I would definitely consider myself a novice RV owner but I'm a quick study. I'm pulling this RV with a 2012 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4WD. It pulled this unit up the mountain like it was nothing.

I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some more experienced owners may be able to provide some insight to:

I noticed that there is some water coming out of the AC unit draining into the rain gutter and dripping on the ground. I suspect that this is simply just condensation and nothing more. Any thoughts?

Also, we purchased this unit in Utah and it looks as though it was not kept clean by the dealer. There is a lot of dirt/grit/sand underneath that I had to clean. I also noticed that there is a substantial amount of rust on the axle and various other parts underneath. I'm not overly concerned about this, but I would like to apply some treatment or something to limit the rusting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who has any perspectives!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mizmary

The dirt/gravel inside can be an issue. Watch that you try to get as much of it out as possible. It can chew up the rollers and that can eat the floor. Our brand new 2013 cyclone had that issue.

Someone else will pipe up about the rust and stuff underneath.

Congratulations!! You will enjoy it. We say this isn't camping- this is living. ;-P

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Water dripping out of ac onto ground after ac cycles off is ok and just condensation.

Is the grit inside or outside the unit?

As far as the rust, I would take out the wire brush and clean it off and put some rust oleum or something similar on that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonsterRide

Thanks for the feedback. The dirt/grit doesn't seem to be interfering with the rollers and I cleaned it out pretty good. I'm hoping a once-over with the rust will be enough.

sbryan

After you brush the loose rust off the axles and frame you can use FluidFilm to protect the metal from future corrosion. Google it. We use it in the rust belt to keep salt away. Environmentally friendly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TXTiger

Welcome to the Heartland family. The water from the A/C is normal. It is just condensation. Mine drips all the time while running and just after shut off. If it is not dripping then you will have a freeze up problem and need to leave the A/C off to defrost for awhile.

When I first got my Cyclone it had a lot of sawdust everywhere from its construction that the factory did not clean up. My dealer did a good job getting most of it vacuumed up but after one year of ownership I still find some especially in the window tracks. Its normal and you just have to vacuum it up once in a while.

Not sure about the rust. I would be more concerned with this issue. I would call the selling dealer and see if they would help in removing/treating this issue. You may also call Heartland customer service direct and ask them if it can be covered under the warranty or if not what they suggest you do to remove the rust and treat the affected areas. Have your VIN number when you call.

FiremanBill

Hey there! Congrats on the new rig! We've had our 3110 since February. Still learning a lot of stuff about it but am pretty sure we have most of it all figured out now... lol

If you have any questions fire away. The A/C draining is normal as others have said. A light coat of WD-40 can help the surface rust thing on the axles as well. Get them good and cleaned up first.

oscar

Hi there....... I'm a repeat new purchase offender......

AC condensate = normal. Usually we like to perfectly level our rigs, me I park it just a hair off in the direction I want the water to go.....ie not in the grill.

Sawdust = normal. Unlike myself the factory doesn't clean EVERYTHING as they assemble. (suction nurse!) Problem is you clean it, then you drive and more rattles out..... After a few years it gets a lot less....

Rust. As they are bought in bulk many of the chassis sit out in the Elkhart weather for quite some time before a house is put on top of them In addition the rig may have been transported out of Indiana in winter conditions.....(salt).....sooo, I wouldn't worry about the cause too much. I do think it would make sense to wire brush it down and hit it with a rust inhibiting paint. I also think you have a case for making a dealer do just that. Whether you'll be successful is another story.