New owner of 3585 RL

vicrider

Howdy All, Since we started narrowing down the field and really focused on a Bighorn, I have been spying on this forum for a few weeks now and just wanted to say how great it is. Tons of info and everyone seems to try and help one another with issues.
Well, we pulled the trigger and picked up our new 5th wheel this last weekend and boy was I surprised at how well it pulled. Our old 2003 Komfort 24ft'er bucked a lot more than this one, but I guess it's because this one is quite a bit heavier, and seems to be one solid unit along with the truck. I was sweating it, but was relieved after I got going. The corners are definetly a lot trickier to judge, but I'll get that down. The wife and I are looking forward to getting it out and spending a weekend or more in it. We'll plan on joining as members when we get a minute or two.
It was funny because I have some scales not far from the house and I thought I'd weigh it. So I pull up where I thought the rear tires would be on the scales, got out to see if the wheels were on there and holy cow, they were still 10 feet father back. I got back in, pulled it up some more, thinking I was on the scales and got out and was still 3 feet short. This sucker is LONG!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
vicrider, congrats on the new rig. Yeah, an extra 15 or 16 feet of trailer can be a bit of a surprise. It's really great though to be able to stand back away from the rig and look at it and go, Wow! What a rig! Enjoy!

Firerad1

Congratulations! We're envious, ours is still about a month away from being done. You are so right on how much help everyone on the forum has been when it comes time to actually pull the trigger. Sure makes you feel confident when making such a large purchase, that it's exactly what you want. I'm glad to hear how well it tows. You have my interest peaked now on how much it weighed. Don't leave me hanging. Also, what is your tow rig?

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Congratulations! We're envious, ours is still about a month away from being done. You are so right on how much help everyone on the forum has been when it comes time to actually pull the trigger. Sure makes you feel confident when making such a large purchase, that it's exactly what you want. I'm glad to hear how well it tows. You have my interest peaked now on how much it weighed. Don't leave me hanging. Also, what is your tow rig?

Congratulations to you guys!!! Give some thought to joining the Heartland Owners Club and bringing that bright shinny new rig to our spring rally in Cody.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...1-2012-to-6-24-2012/page2?p=208419#post208419

vicrider

Firead1, I tow with an '02 Duramax, only mod is the airbags. But seems to haveb enough HP at this point. The challenge will be when we head down to Tucson in Feb. I am thinking about getting a chip put in it though.

vicrider

So we took it to the Long Beach peninsula in WA for 3 days last week, and as soon as I hooked up the city water it leaked. I opened the basement storage it had a strong smell of propane, when I went to use the saniflush on breaking camp it leaked......I was not happy. But it's my own fault because when I went for the PDI at the dealership, they talked me out of hooking up the water and testing everything, saying it was winterized. I should have followed my instincts (and what I have read on this forum) and made them hook up EVERYTHING and tried it all out.

The good part is on the way home the wife called the dealership and they said bring it in and they'd check it out. Sure enough they found 2 propane leaks, and repaired the bad connections on the saniflush and the city water. I brought it home last evening and now were are waiting to head to Tucson at the beginning of Feb.

funntheson

So we took it to the Long Beach peninsula in WA for 3 days last week, and as soon as I hooked up the city water it leaked. I opened the basement storage it had a strong smell of propane, when I went to use the saniflush on breaking camp it leaked......I was not happy. But it's my own fault because when I went for the PDI at the dealership, they talked me out of hooking up the water and testing everything, saying it was winterized. I should have followed my instincts (and what I have read on this forum) and made them hook up EVERYTHING and tried it all out.

The good part is on the way home the wife called the dealership and they said bring it in and they'd check it out. Sure enough they found 2 propane leaks, and repaired the bad connections on the saniflush and the city water. I brought it home last evening and now were are waiting to head to Tucson at the beginning of Feb.

Pick up a 90 degree brass adapter, and hook it up to the city water connection. That will allow the hose to hang straight down, thus relieving a lot of pressure. It took care of any leaking problem I had in that area of the trailer.