New owner of slightly used BH 3160

genep777

Hi - just bought a new 5th wheel and really excited. The rig has a Reese airborne sidewinder king pin. I will tow the unit with a F350 with a B&W Companion hitch. According to B&W's website, I should not use any king pin that moves the swiveling mechanism further back of the hitch. I am looking at a Mor-Ryde but not sure of the actual part number. I do not know the original king pin that came on the unit and am traveling internationally for next two months. I would like to go ahead and order the new pin box, so that I can get it installed while traveling. Has anyone else replaced the pin box with a Mor-Ryde and if so, what part number did you use? Thank you, Donald Peters

danemayer

Hi genep777,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some feedback on pin boxes and hitches shortly.

SNOKING

Hi - just bought a new 5th wheel and really excited. The rig has a Reese airborne sidewinder king pin. I will tow the unit with a F350 with a B&W Companion hitch. According to B&W's website, I should not use any king pin that moves the swiveling mechanism further back of the hitch. I am looking at a Mor-Ryde but not sure of the actual part number. I do not know the original king pin that came on the unit and am traveling internationally for next two months. I would like to go ahead and order the new pin box, so that I can get it installed while traveling. Has anyone else replaced the pin box with a Mor-Ryde and if so, what part number did you use? Thank you, Donald Peters

Is there a way to lock the sidewinder function on the pin box? Do you have a short box truck? Is so I would convert your B&W to rail mount or puck mount. Chris

genep777

Hi genep777,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some feedback on pin boxes and hitches shortly.

Thank you so much. We look forward to our traveling in new rig.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to lock the sidewinder function on the pin box? Do you have a short box truck? Is so I would convert your B&W to rail mount or puck mount. Chris

Yes the kin pin can be locked and no I do not have short bed. The previous owner did have short bed and thought the king pin did a wonderful job. I will contact B&W to see if this is ok. Thank you for your reply. Donald

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you do order a pin box. Tell them you have a 1621 HD Lippert frame. Also give them the trailer GVW rating.

genep777

Thanks Bob, I will be ordering the new Mor-Ryde RPB72-1621 HD-05. Wished I could have used the airborne sidewinder, but B&W stated that the Companion hitch with turnover ball, used with sidewinder wasn't safe. The B&W works really well for me since I use the pickup for other purposes and the hitch is easy to remove and reinstall. Thanks again for your help. Donald Peters