New owner

RyY2016

Hi everyone, my husband and I just bought a new HL Orlando 365. We were very excited, but after read many of the post, I am getting worry if we did the right thing. Please can someone tell me what to do on the walk through? What should I take care the most?:(/

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi RyY2016,

Congratulations on the new Landmark and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

When you read forum posts, keep in mind that human nature is to report problems and ask for help. If there's nothing wrong, or only minor adjustments are needed, you don't hear those stories very much.

One of our owners has put together a comprehensive pre-delivery checklist that you should follow. It's about 1/2 way down in this folder.

I'd suggest that before you sign off on the paperwork, you go through the checklist and make sure everything works correctly, noting anything that needs correction. Prior to signing the acceptance paper, in which you agree that everything is as it should be, you'll have the dealer's full attention and resources to fix things. After signing, some dealers aren't as attentive. If repairs are needed, the dealer won't be happy to wait on you signing, but it's to your advantage to get things right before signing off. If parts have to be ordered, and you feel that you'd like to take delivery, make sure you note the issue on the acceptance paperwork.

Even if everything seems perfect, it's a good idea to stay at the dealership, if possible, or nearby for a day or two. Before signing, ask to meet with the service manager to gain agreement that if you find anything in the day or two after purchase, that the service dep't will work on it while you wait, rather than asking you to drop the trailer off and come back in a few weeks.

Finally, we have a large collection of owner-written user guides in this folder that pick up where the Heartland and appliance manuals leave off. You may find them very helpful.

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the HL forum and family. Like Dan said, most people don't take time to post up about the positives of their rigs, just the gripes and problems causing some serious anxiety on new owners.
Youi should expect the storage bay walls to be removed to access all of the electrics and plumbing and the rig to be hooked up to shore power and water. As you move from faucet to faucet operating all of them, take the time to come back and look at the p traps which might be loose underneath. When you are done inside, look at the underbelly for signs of leaks or water on ground.
Have them explain the auto level and demonstrate its operation. Open and close the awning all the way. Found a tear in ours at this time. Have them explain and operate your slides a couple of times to ensure smooth operation and complete closure. A good PDI can take time so make sure you're comfortable before acceptance. Hopefully you have a good dealer who will do a proper make ready and walk thru with you. Remember, take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Make sure to print out the PDI that Dan referred to . Maybe there are some HL owners in your area that might go with you for the inspection. Be comfortable with everything before signing the acceptance sheet for the rig.
Congrats again on your purchase and don't be a stranger on the forum. Attend a rally in your area and get some 1st hand instructions and help with any minor issues that might arrive.
Hope to meet you down the road or at a rally so relax and enjoy that beautiful new rig.
Later and have a great day.

RyY2016

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the HL forum and family. Like Dan said, most people don't take time to post up about the positives of their rigs, just the gripes and problems causing some serious anxiety on new owners.

Ok thanks for your help I will definitely let you know How things are going. :D

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Congratulations on your new Landmark! I would insist that they have it hooked up to 50 amp power, water and sewer with the basement wall down. Then I would do a thorough walk through testing inspecting EVERYTHING and while I was behind the basement wall and under each sink checking things out, I would hand tighten each water line fitting. I recommend not signing any papers until that entire process listed above was done and the repairs completed. Here is a PDI form to help you through the process.

One thing I would say, is that the quality control in the RV industry is very lacking. However, with that being said, I believe that Heartland really stands behind their luxury lines (Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country). Insure that if you feel like you are getting the runaround with repairs or anything with your rig, reach out and contact Heartland Customer Service directly. You will need the last 6 of your VIN when you call. The other thing that sets Heartland apart from others, is that you can take your rig to any licensed service repair person and get warranty work completed and do not have to take it to your selling dealer.

If you live near Ripon, CA, Phil Starkey at Starkey's RV Repair is very fair, honest and when you have an appointment with him, your rig will be worked on and completed quickly. His number is *(209) 505-4834. Their address is 984 Goodwin Dr., Ripon CA

Last but not least, we are on our third Heartland product and could not be more happy with them. We have had some warranty repairs that were needed and yes, we also suffered from some quality control issues (lack there of), however when it is all said and done, we really have had no major issues and the few that we had, Heartland stood behind it and took care of us. Like others above said, most of the posts you read, are folks who have problems. Not many people take the time to write about their lack of problems or how happy they are with their rigs. We however LOVE LOVE LOVE ours!

Welcome to the Heartland Family and please don't hesitate to reach out with questions and we would love to have you join us at an upcoming rally this year. Chuck and Donna are having theirs in Jackson California this coming September and Bill and Irene are having theirs down in Temecula the following month in conjunction with the Nevada Rally in Pahrump Nevada (those should be posted on the forum soon). In addition, we have two rallies coming up in May in Spokane (Deerpark) WA and McCall Idaho.
View attachment RV Inspection Checklist.pdf

Rod

david-steph2018

Hi everyone, my husband and I just bought a new HL Orlando 365. We were very excited, but after read many of the post, I am getting worry if we did the right thing. Please can someone tell me what to do on the walk through? What should I take care the most?:(/
If you have never own a RV prior, take a video recorder with you. Record items you have questions about, this way later when you have a lapse in thought review it. Even if you have had a RV in the past use the video.
Take your time with the walk-thru, if you have questions ask. If the tech can not answer it, then tell them find somebody who can. We are on our 3rd RV and we still had questions about items. We also had to call later and ask friends, questions about how this or that worked. We have been camping since 2000, we still asked questions today about things. This thing has so many upgrades over our first 2 it is like just great, it is fun.
Don't let them rush you thru the PDI.
When we bought our Road Warrior in October 2017 the dealer insisted we stay in the unit 1-2 days on the lot. In the end we gave them a list of items we seen that had problems then gave them a day to repair before we picked it up since it was minor items to repair.

RyY2016

Guys, my husband and I are very sad. After we finally found the floorplan we like and gave the downpayment now the RV parking at KOA in Salinas CA dosen't have a spot for a 42ft long RV. We dont know what to do.we dont have the SUV to move that RV around places.

Kbvols

Guys, my husband and I are very sad. After we finally found the floorplan we like and gave the downpayment now the RV parking at KOA in Salinas CA dosen't have a spot for a 42ft long RV. We dont know what to do.we dont have the SUV to move that RV around places.
That sucks for sure. You still have options however. The difficult part is always deciding the best one. When purchasing an RV you have to have a solid plan on how/where it will be stored when not in use. Of course, dealers will rarely if ever mention it.

A- find an alternative RV park that can accommodate.
B- cancel the sale. Imagine will lose down payment but is an option.
C- buy a truck that you can use to transport the RV.

Good luck in your decision making. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

carl.swoyer

Congratulations on your new Landmark!
As for things to inspect,
Apply power, water, cable and run everything! If you can check it out in the rain to look for water leaks on all you windows and doors and slides. Run all the water faucets and inspect the plumbing for leaks. Turn the fireplace and furnace on ( furnace will smell because it's new. The smell will disappear)
Run the entertainment center. Raise and lower the hydraulics. Inspect before you sign for it.
I own a 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel and I'm certain that you have a great rig. I purchased it brand new.
As with any rv from Prevost to pop-ups you will experience warranty work. How do I know ?
While I was sitting in a service bay having warranty work performed on my rig I saw all brands from many different manufacturers with the same issues.
Heartland will fix everything.
I'm extremely happy with my 2012. After all the bugs are worked out it's maintenance and upkeep.
Prepare! To have fun!
127269ad12dc757e8082be3f7e51e2d5.jpg
064af8f3a8ccafc7661c5c2f05e29cdb.jpg
187bb937857770b98f0d6b97436ba990.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk