New Purchase

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Alrighty then

Tomorrow is the big day. We drop off the truck ('05 F-250) at 0830 for hitch installation. We'll then go have breakfast/lunch. PDI is scheduled for 1230 to last 3-4 hours. Already have the checklist printed. Noted all recommendations given in this forum. We'll set up at Holiday Travel Park in Va. Beach for shakedown (about 3 miles from the front door of the house- 15 miles from dealer Chesapeake RV Solutions). Any final recommendations/hints/what to do/what not to don't do/what to say/what not to say? One more time to all....Thanks!!!

Don't be afraid to ask questions. You've made a big investment. No question is dumb (except the one you don't ask). Look under all the sinks, etc for water leaks/drips (have them rachet the pressure up a little). Run water in the sinks and look for drips under cabinets as it drains. Turn on the outside shower and check under the bathroom sink for leaks. Run the shower full blast and look for seeps around the seals (these are notorious for leaking). Lastly, make sure you know how to light the oven if you have one. Those are hard to get lit! And then...go out and have fun. Also, don't forget to call Camp Hatteras Campground and sign up for the Spring Heartland Owners Rally!

JoeKat

OK

The shakedown cruise is over. We did the walkthrough on Saturday at Chesapeake RV Solutions with very, and I do mean very few issues. It took the full 4 hours and then some. Todd the tech that walked us through everthing was great. Had answers to almost everthing we asked, and we asked alot of questions not ever owning a 5'er before. We were also sure to look at everthing that was suggested in the thread. After the PDI Todd and I went on a test drive and the rig pulled great. Couldn't be happier, but need a better understanding of how to set the brake controller. Drove it down to Holiday Travel park in VB and as I drove up to the guard shack the guy (dressed as a pirate) asked if I was checking in. I thought, "nope I'm checking out...here's your sign". Anway, we got our sight and were set up in less than 30 minutes. I think that's pretty good for the first time! (How long does it take most folks)? Kathy and a friend then began storing everything inside while I hooked up the TV's. Mrs had to go to work on Monday so I had to break down by myself. Just was very deliberate about the whole deal and checked and double checked everything I was doing. My only concern was getting the trailer hooked up to the TV correctly. Again I took my time and checked and double checked and it all went over without a problem. Drove it to the storage area close to the house and quickly realized that I will need to practice on my maneuvering in reverse skills but I got it backed into the space without hitting anything. Took my time and got her unhitched and away I went a very happy camper. Thanks to all for sharing your experience and suggestions.

Joe