New tires for the Bighorn

vangoes

Boca,
Lippert did check my suspension for the Lippert components, but as I have Mor Ryde they did not check those components nor the alignment.

jimtoo

Hey Jimtoo, is the switch from 235/80 R16 to the 235/85 R16 still working out for you? I would like to do the same; currently there is 2&5/8 inches between my tires, and I'm wondering if I will have room to make the same choice you made.

Has anyone else made this change?

Hi Sthramann, Yes it is working OK for me. I have aprox 1 3/4" between the tires and have no evidence of rubbing on shocks or anything. Just completed a 4100 mile trip and not a problem. Have towed aprox 8000 miles since installed.

Jim M

My 08 Bighorn had the 235/80/16 tires from the factory.
The 235/85/16 Michelin fit just fine.
The factory also told me I couldn't put the Goodyear G614's on .
When we took the wheels off to mount the Michelins the rims are stamped for
110# tires. Sounds like someone at Heartland didn't do thier homework.

Lonestar

TXN4LIFE
I had replaced the Karrier tires on my 3400 RL after all 5 went bad 1 or 2 at a time + one of the new replaced ones. Unfortunately not before having major damage when 2 blew out. Found a good used set of Goodyear 614's that were, by date code 10-14 months old. Still looked almost new. Lucky to find them on a Sunday afternoon in Kingman, AZ. I have since traded for 2010 3410RE and took off my G's & put E's back on it for trade. I had 7K axles installed and it has Freestar G's on it. Has anyone had any issues with these tires? Would I be miles ahead to put the used Goodyears on and keep the Freestars for spares or sell possibly sell them while they still are new? Don't want another large repair bill and downtime when I'm on a run with a time deadline.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
My original Mission Tires were E rated 235/80/R16's, and my new Goodyear G614's are 235/85/R16's and they fit just fine. I have 16" aluminum rims. And as a bonus, my rotochoks fit just fine. The spacing is great and the ride is superb. Like I said before, when my leaf springs broke, I wonder which hospital I would be in if I had E rated tires not 14 ply G rated Goodyears on. I was amazed that even after the frame sat on my new tires, they were in fairly good shape, with alot of sticky rubber but still usable. I did have to change one tire, but it didn't blow under that pressure which can't be totally attributed to my wonderful karma.
Lonestar, keep those barely used Goodyear 614's.

DMitch

When we ordered our new unit I ordered the Goodyear 614's on it. Sure glad I did they seem to be a great tire. $700 option is really cheap when you consider thye cost of blown tires and damage.

All the best,

porthole

Retired
When we ordered our new unit I ordered the Goodyear 614's on it. Sure glad I did they seem to be a great tire. $700 option is really cheap when you consider the cost of blown tires and damage.

Not offered on the Cyclones - I sure tried though.
I guess toy haulers are not "luxury" enough.

porthole

Retired
The difference is you have 3 axles. That makes a big difference in tire weight, 3 versus 2 axles.

I have two axles.

Goodyear 614's versus whatever has nothing to do with # of axles, I read enough on many forums to know there is a serious issue with trailer tires.

Our friends "new last year" Cedar Creek had a blowout on the way to meet us in PA. $5000 worth of damage to the trailer.

He made out OK though in the end. All damage repaired and ??? replaced all 5 tires and wheels and upgraded him to the 614's at no charge. Even the spare was aluminum.

StevenJ

Tires

Well, this is our 3rd year with the 08 3600RL, and I thought I would miss out on the tire issues until this weekend. One left rear has a buldge on it. I put on the spare. They are Goldway LT235/85R16, YTR05 tires on 7 spoke aluminum rims. Are these the china bombs you are talking about. Should I change all four:confused:. Also my unit seems to bounce and sway a lot, my wife says it's the way I drive but I think it's more than that. Thanks for your reply.

Does Heartland check the alignment and other things at these rallies, we are thinking of attending one. We live in Iowa.:D

Bill1374

Well, I guess I'm a member of the blown tire club. Picked up the new to us trailer on a Thursday and left for a short trip on Sunday. Didn't get 50 miles before I shredded a tire. I've blown tires before but never had one come apart like this. Biggest piece I saw flying was about six inches. Only left 3 inches of sidewall on the inner and outer bead.
I took a slightly different tack. My last 2 fifths have had Goodyear Wranglers on them. Made the deal that dealer bought 2 and I bought 2 so now have new rubber on the road. Same OEM stuff as from NuWa and Newmar so I'm happy.

Bill