New tires needed? 2010 Bighorn 3610RE

8amps

We have a new-to-us (this year) 2010 Bighorn 3610RE. It currently has Freestar LT235/85/R16 tires. There's heaps about Towmax tires but not much on Freestar, though I believe these are the original tires. The born-on date doesn't correspond with the DOT codes since the last four digits which are usually week and year. When I went to look at tires on the other side, there was only a the 1st four digits, so apparently they are on backwards? (Meaning the outside is on the inside). Does that even matter? (Sorry, probably a stupid rookie question, but I'd still like to know). We are about to set off on full-time expedition so we are thinking of replacing the tires regardless since I saw some cracks on the sidewall and since we don't know how tires were cared for (proper pressure, excess speed, etc)... Getting estimate of +/- $1500 for 4 Goodyear G614. Goodyear said they could replace the tires. There was also another thread/discussion of where to put the jack (with a photo of a 5th wheel on jacks outside what looked like a tire shop). Is this something the shop wouldn't know???

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a new-to-us (this year) 2010 Bighorn 3610RE. It currently has Freestar LT235/85/R16 tires. There's heaps about Towmax tires but not much on Freestar, though I believe these are the original tires. The born-on date doesn't correspond with the DOT codes since the last four digits which are usually week and year. When I went to look at tires on the other side, there was only a the 1st four digits, so apparently they are on backwards? (Meaning the outside is on the inside). Does that even matter? (Sorry, probably a stupid rookie question, but I'd still like to know). We are about to set off on full-time expedition so we are thinking of replacing the tires regardless since I saw some cracks on the sidewall and since we don't know how tires were cared for (proper pressure, excess speed, etc)... Getting estimate of +/- $1500 for 4 Goodyear G614. Goodyear said they could replace the tires. There was also another thread/discussion of where to put the jack (with a photo of a 5th wheel on jacks outside what looked like a tire shop). Is this something the shop wouldn't know???

Note, the picture of the jacks at the tire shop are mine. I insisted that they NOT JACK the AXLES, which is what they attempted to do. My husband and I have used this technique to lift our trailer on at least 5-6 occasions, so we did it while the tire guy watched. Once this side was raised the tires were 1/2" off the ground, they used their tools to remove and install the new tires. Each side of the trailer was raised about 10 minutes. We then lowered this side and did the opposite side. After 50 miles, we checked the torque on the lug nuts as required.

Upon Edit: Yes, please get the tires replaced, especially if you see cracks. What I thought was a start of some cracking on one of our Maxxis turned into the start of some separation in a few short miles, but we caught it before it was a blowout.

IMG_1193.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

branson4020

Icantre Member
Where you place the jacks is a religious argument and I'm agnostic. BUT - replace those Freestar tire. They are just an accident waiting to happen.

Zedd

Don't think they were original if the said LT in front of the size the previous owner was probably smart enough to get rid of the ST that came with. DOT number on the inside doesn't mean there backwards just a poor choice when they mounted them. Most tires now have complete numbers on both sides but that hasn't been around too long. I would also second the replacement now not just because of the cracks but you, as a new owner, don't have any idea what they have been through it is truly a case of its better safe than sorry! Oh and add TPMS any brand of TPMS to the trailer it won't prevent EVERY issue but it can sure give you peace of mind!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don't forget the spare tire . . .

You should replace that, too!

Oh . . . and don't forget to get all five tires balanced!

8amps

Well.... local Goodyear shop says that this type of tire doesn't need to be balanced... Thoughts???? The date code on the G614 is 4513, so are those are sufficiently new? If I understand the code correctly, that is the 45th week of 2013. There is some more wear (in my uneducated opinion) on the rear left tire, that is not on the other 3 tires, I have weighed the trailer and TV (GMC 3500 DRW) which is under the max however haven't been able to find anywhere in Colorado to weigh tire by tire. Could that be an overload on one tire/side... or possibly out of alignment?

8amps

1411753606182.jpg1411753798940.jpgLeft pic is the cracking I see on the sidewall. Right is DOT code but last 4 are 078L which don't come up as a correct code.

8amps

1411753684145.jpg1411753725895.jpg
left rear tire (nearly down to wear bar), Left front tire,
normal wear or something amiss?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that I would say that your dealer should not be selling tires if he tells you not to balance.
Do balance.
Your one tire shows more wear. Find a big rig trailer shop and get an alignment.
IMHO

Peace
Dave

Jim.Allison

I dont want to get the argument started again, you can read it on another thread if you have doubts. Does it make sense to you to pick up any vehicle by the frame to remove and replace a single tire as opposed to lifting the axle 1.5 inches to remove and replace a tire? What will you do on the road? Will you have a giant jack handy to lift your trailer or will you simply use a jack, probably your TV jack to gently lift the axle a replace the tire? IF I were to apply jack to my frame to lift it, it would not be at a single point but rather several jacks along the entire side to reduce the risk of torquing the frame of my trailer.

That having been said, $1500 is not bad, mounted and balanced. perhaps they will give you a deep discount if you buy 5. Another way to get a set of 614 is to buy them from a online tire dealer, (normally no sales tax but freight instead) then have them mounted and balanced at a tire shop somewhere, might save a 100 to 150 bucks. I dont know if I would go online to same that little bit of money or not, but hey, $100 buck is a 100 buck to the very frugal. You seem to be frugal or you would not be thinking of the 614. They are a good buy but more expensive on the onset.

But to answer your question, if you do let the tire company lift the axle, just make sure they lift it under the axle at the spring or real close to that point. You can bend or crush the axle tube if you are careless, it is not likely that an experienced tire dealer is going to harm your rig installing a tire. Just tell them outright that you are concerned about it, If he is professional he will note your concern and address it for you. If you have a level up system then you can pick it up for him. I used my TV jack, on the axle tube next to the spring and did not even put a mark on the paint. So decide for yourself if this rates this level of scrutiny for such a simple task. Jacking up a trailer axle has been the most common procedure to change a tire on trailers than any other procedure. There are a lot of trailer axles and wheels out on the road, and I doubt that you can find very many who will tell you that they ruined their axle changing a tire, or who have ever heard that you are supposed to jack up the frame.

Jim.Allison

They don't need to be balanced in the sense that you won't feel it in the passenger compartment. But if you dont want to shake the screws loose, shorten shock life, shorten the bearing life, shorten the spring bolts life, or shorten the tire life then you should balance them. Yes balance the trailer tires.

Birchwood

If your new unit has been sitting for a few years change the tires.I have the 614 tires and haven't had any problems with them and we
have traveled to Florida and Texas from eastern Canada for the last 5 years.

MTPockets

Are the Freestlye 110PSI tires?.... I assume they are, but if not, make sure your rims are approved for 110PSI for the Goodyear tires. P.S..... Regarding your tread wear... I have two tires that seem to have a bit of edge wear more than the other two. Just a couple weeks ago, I had the alignment checked and it checked out O.K., so I can't really say what is causing my wear. Could be loading, turning, or slight mis-alignment that didn't show up when they checked. In any event, I have three years of travel and still ots of tread left, so I don't concern myself with it anymore. I'll probably need replacements due to age before they wear out anyway.

Last edited:

caissiel

I am very satisfied with our Free star tires that can on our new 2009 BC unit. But I am surprised that you are seeing cracks. Mine though 6 years old still look great with 50k miles on them.
I did balance them on the first year and there are heavy weights on each tire.
But since you are seeing cracks I would be concerned.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have my original Freestar tires, mold date 5207. The photo you put up looks like the mold code might be 2508 on your tires. The placement of my code is different. The Freestar mold was retired sometime in 2010 or 2011, when it reached the end of its service life. They did not have any history of problems with the tire, though. I was told this by the rep from Tredit Tire at the 2011 Goshen rally.

My tires have relatively low mileage since we primarily tow it 200 miles to a summer seasonal site and return it home for storage over the winter at the end of the season. When the tires aren't rolling, they're covered. No cracks or other defects noted a couple of days ago while covering them for storage.

Yes, they are a 110 psi, load range G tire.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well.... local Goodyear shop says that this type of tire doesn't need to be balanced... Thoughts????

Hey you guys . . . how is Yellowstone?

I pulled our Trail Runner the first summer (including a trip to South Dakota) without having the tires balanced.

This spring, before our first outing, I took it to my local Big O Tire shop and had the tires (including the spare) balanced, and I could feel a difference and seems to get less sway than before.

They said that all of the tires were seriously out of balance.

Also, they discovered that one of the wheels was warped (not bent), so that was removed and is now my spare tire.

This winter I will be replacing the BlowMaxes, which have less than 4000 miles on them.

They look like new, but I just don't think I want to trust them on the road anymore . . .

Last edited:

8amps

Hello all, thanks so much for all the Info and advice. it's a lot to take in being rookie RVers. We decided to go with the G614s and supposed to have them installed tomorrow. Will have them balanced :). Asked the shop the born on date. 4513. Is that sufficiently new? (new tires obviously but dont want to lose more than reasonable life sitting on the shelf). Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated.

jimtoo

4513 means they were manufactured the 45th week of 2013. So they are about 1 year old now. I would ask for newer tires.