New to Heartland

johnlance

I just bought a new 2010 Landmark and found a blown seal in one of the living room rams. Is this a common problem and can I expect more? Also, how do I over ride the hydroulic system to either retract the slides or raise the jacks?

jimtoo

Hi johnlance,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I have never heard of a blown seal, some that leaked but would still work. I think on the Landmark you have a set of control valves for each slide, but not sure. Look in the compartment with the battery and you should be able to tell for sure. Also you say 2010 year and your profile says 2012 year model.. It might make a difference also. But tell us for sure what you have and which floor plan.

I'm sure some of our Landmark owners will jump in soon to help out.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Welcome to the Forum & Family John. I must say, I have never heard of a blown seal on the hydraulic slide system in all the time I've been a part of this forum. I guess there's a first time for everything. As Jim mentioned, you can isolate individual slide which should allow you to at least get the landing gear to work. Have you contacted your dealer yet? Are you in MI now? At the very least, call Heartland Customer Service with your VIN in hand. Are you still in warranty?

JJOren

Welcome to the Heartland world John!

I have to echo what has been said so far. I have never heard of a Heartland slide with a blown seal. In your land mark owners manual there is a whole section devoted to retracting the slides manually. Unfortunately, as nearly as I can tell, it assumes that you have oil pressure and can operate the pump manually. Before doing anything at this point, I would make that call to the dealer or to Heartland. You have something unique there!!!

danemayer

Hi John,

Our 2011 Rushmore has auto-hydraulic-leveling with individual jack control as well as individual slide controls. If the hydraulic pump fails to operate under electric power, it's possible to turn it with a drill while opening/closing the individual valve controls as needed. This procedure is described (at a high level) in your manual. Figuring out which valve does what is the hard part. Slide control valves are on the pump assembly and on our rig landing jack valves are on the landing jack posts. But I'm told that varies quite a bit.

If by "blown seal" you mean that hydraulic fluid is spurting out when you try to move the slide, and there's not enough pressure to operate the slide, I don't believe there's any override for that. You'll need onsite service. If you mean that it's leaking fluid but still operates, I'd get to a service location soon, before you get stranded.

We had a hydraulic fluid leak from the pump last summer. It was enough to make quite a mess, but by adding fluid a few times I was able to nurse it along and continue our trip. I was taking a chance that if it got worse, we might need onsite service. It probably leaked 16-24 oz of fluid at each campground (setting up and then packing up). An o-ring on the pump was the cause of the leak.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta ask, what makes you say that you have a blown seal?
I had a ram go bad on my Bighorn last year. It was a bad seal internally. It allowed the fluid to leak by and not hold pressure when the slide was in. There was no external leak. It crept open while I was traveling. I had to use ratchet straps under the slide to keep the slides in till I got it in for repair. I used it like that for about two months till I got it in for repair. I was not going to let that stop us from traveling. I had it fixed at Lippert in Goshen.
There is a procedure for checking the ram seals. Your dealer should be able to do that.
Bad seals happen, just like on my truck, but it is not a common problem.

Peace
Dave