New to our Heartland and we need new batteries

jimcat

Hi out there.. We are new to 5th wheel RVing.. and the seller noted that we would need two new batteries.. 12 volt since there is no room to add 4 batteries.. How does one take off the cover that has them covered up now. I looked at it yesterday, and seen a hose coming out of the top.. What is a good choice to replace? Not wanting to go to the lithium or those 900.00 ones.. thanks

Bogie

If you have the standard battery box Heartland uses, the top half should be held in place with two screws. Look around the outside rim of the box for these.

Once you get access, any Group 24 12 volt battery will work. Deep cycle batteries would be best. You could go flooded lead acid (cheapest option) or AGM batteries which would more expensive or even Gel batteries. For a short discussion of the differences, take a look HERE.

jimcat

If you have the standard battery box Heartland uses, the top half should be held in place with two screws. Look around the outside rim of the box for these.

Once you get access, any Group 24 12 volt battery will work. Deep cycle batteries would be best. You could go flooded lead acid (cheapest option) or AGM batteries which would more expensive or even Gel batteries. For a short discussion of the differences, take a look HERE.
Any brand recommendations? Duracell? Crown? Thanks

CDN

B and B
What ever is on sale at Auto Zone or UAP. Highest deep discharge amps, ranking amps mean nothing for RV use.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Either size battery will work but you will have fewer amp hours available with the group 24.
Me? I'd opt for the largest size that will fit.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

Go with the deka group 31 agm. They are excellent and maintenance free..
I took the factory battery box out and made a box to accommodate 4 group 31 batteries. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In certain markets, Sam’s Club carries a Duracell AGM battery that is made by Deka, which may be a little more affordable. We’ve had ours about 4.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

How do you use your RV? Do you travel from RV Resort to RV Resort, where you will always have access to shore power? Do you ever want to boondock without any services (ie..no shore power)? Most of the answer I saw above, are great if you are going from locations with power, however if you ever want to doondock (dry camp) you will need a more power battery bank than was folks are referencing above.

My video below will describe more about higher output Lithium batteries, but note, they are not cheap. For us the value of Lithium is there, as we boondock about 90% of the time and we can stay boondocking for about 10 days, while still using our Inverter for 110v needs.

Video Link

Last edited:

jimcat

Go with the deka group 31 agm. They are excellent and maintenance free..
I took the factory battery box out and made a box to accommodate 4 group 31 batteries. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
so 4 6 volts or 4 12s?

jimcat

How do you use your RV? Do you travel from RV Resort to RV Resort, where you will always have access to shore power? Do you ever want to boondock without any services (ie..no shore power)? Most of the answer I saw above, are great if you are going from locations with power, however if you ever want to doondock (dry camp) you will need a more power battery bank than was folks are referencing above.

My video below will describe more about higher output Lithium batteries, but note, they are not cheap. For use the value of Lithium is there, as we boondock about 90% of the time and we can stay boondocking for about 10 days, while still using our Inverter for 110v needs.

video is unavailable.

Bobby A

In certain markets, Sam’s Club carries a Duracell AGM battery that is made by Deka, which may be a little more affordable. We’ve had ours about 4.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2, I have had my AGM from Sams for several years, still goning strong.

taskswap

Seems you have to cut/paste video links here to get them to work. I've posted links in other threads and they don't work either. It's something to do with the forum software.

I concur on the Deka's if you can find them but any deep cycle group 31 (if those fit your box) are good choices. I just upgraded mine to Renogy Smart Lithiums which are amazing batteries (though extremely expensive), and I liked the old Deka's I had so much I just kept them. They're in my garage waiting for a project, probably a winch kit for my truck.

Lithiums are amazing batteries, a 100Ah lithium has twice the capacity of a 100Ah SLA for half the weight, and there are other benefits. But if I may add a counterpoint, they don't sound like the best first step for you. Lithium batteries have considerations you need to cover to use them properly, stuff like they aren't safe to charge below 0F. If you aren't in a position to dive into hours of Youtube videos by folks like Will Prowse (highly recommend) to educate yourself here, I personally feel just replacing your batteries with any good lead acid equivalents that will fit your battery box is a good choice at first.

You can do a lot worse than taking one of your current batteries to AutoZone and telling them what you're up to. You'll be done in 15 mins.

Oregon_Camper

Lithium batteries have considerations you need to cover to use them properly, stuff like they aren't safe to charge below 0F. If you aren't in a position to dive into hours of Youtube videos by folks like Will Prowse (highly recommend) to educate yourself here, I personally feel just replacing your batteries with any good lead acid equivalents that will fit your battery box is a good choice at first.

I'd counter your 0F remark. I did a video on AGM vs Lithium and their output/charging rates at low temps. Lithium batteries will still provide power to your RV down to -4F. The one issue to remember is charging them. Lithium will not charge below 30F...this is a function of the BMS. If anyone reading this does in fact camp in cold temps, understand Lithium will work MUCH better than FLD or AGM in cold temps (see this video for exact details). If camping below 32F is something people are interested in, then the best solution is to buy Lithium and have them inside your RV. Lithium batteries do not need to vent, as they do not produce hydrogen gas as they charge. A lot of folks on my Solar Power and Boondocking FB page have awesome setups with their batteries inside their RV....including Jim Beletti's (the man that started this forum) lithium setup under his bed. You can NOT bring FLD or AGM inside your RV.

100% agree that lithium is not for everyone, due to price. That is the reason I asked how the OP was planning to camp.

charging.JPG

Last edited:

taskswap

I'm not clear what you're challenging. I clearly stated "they aren't safe to charge below 0F," I didn't say they weren't usable (dischargeable) below that. And I'm not sure what you mean by won't charge below 32F. Mine certainly do, they charge down to 5F actually although I have heaters that kick in before that. The BMS has a low-temp disconnect to protect the cells. Relion, a lithium battery manufacturer, states clearly in their docs "if a lithium-ion battery is charged below freezing even once, it will be permanently damaged and must be safely discarded or recycled."

The OP made it clear they're both new to fifth wheels and "Not wanting to go to the lithium or those 900.00 ones." It's pretty clear rewiring their coach to move their batteries inside is not their goal. My reply was directed to the OP, not anybody else. I respect that you're a fan of lithiums - I am too. But I stand by my statement that a trip to AutoZone was their best option.

jimcat

It appears the batteries will be in the Indiana winter.Most likely covered up as we still have the home. I presume I just disconnect and bring them home. However, if these are the ones I am replacing, can i just leave them in the battery compartment of the rv? Using the battery disconnect switch?

jimcat

Either size battery will work but you will have fewer amp hours available with the group 24.
Me? I'd opt for the largest size that will fit.

Peace
Dave
55ah or 100ah,, price difference per battery, 189,99 for 55ah vs. 265.99 for the 100ah both with 48 month free replacement non prorated