New to the board

Mike_

Hi, I'm new to the board, I found this board while researching Big Horn 5th wheels. I do not own an RV yet but hope to have one in a year or two. I really like the Big Horn but I may have to get a smaller one first. I have learned a lot from this board just by reading your post, this site is the best I have seen and everyone is so nice.

jimtoo

Hi Mike_,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

If you have any questions, just ask and someone will have an answer for you. We really work to have a great forum with good information and great people, and the best in RV's, Heartland products.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome, Mike! Our first RV was a North Trail 21 FBS. It was small yet very large for our first RV! We loved it. Once owning and using it for a while, we realized we needed a bit more room. Like a true living room, and more counter space. And a separate bedroom. We were not in the market to upgrade, but while visiting the dealer, we noticed a new line of 5vers from Heartland. Walked in, and fell in love (again), 1 year later we had our Elk Ridge 5ver.

Good luck in your research, you cannot go wrong with a Heartland product.

rarnold

Welcome, Mike.
I have been researching Titanium fivers for the last year or two. Was ready to order the BH Ti32 when I found out it was 37 ft overall. Looked at the Big Country units but it wouldn't fit into my 31-32 foot spot. We fell in love with the Sundance 2900MK and ordered one last week. It is slightly smaller than the BH and BC units but still has all that Heartland quality and options.
Good luck with your searching and welcome to this forum. It is SO impressive that they have factory reps and so many knowledgable owners on this site that will give you great info & insight in a very short amount of time.
Hopefully, we will all see you down the road very soon, in your own Heartland rig.

Last edited:

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Hey Mike, welcome!! we purchased our Big Horn last August and love it more now than when we brought it home. You can't go wrong with Heartland. Good luck

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome Mike - we started our Rving world by buying a very small 5th wheel (24' made by another brand) and love camping but didn't like the quality or the way the balance was on the trailer while pulling. Then we moved up to the Sundance which was a world of difference. Stayed with it for a year before moving up to the Big Country 3250. We have been in it for 5 years now and still love it as much as the day we bought it. We also have a shed that's 35 feet long which the BC barely fits in but it works. Good luck and I know once you get into a RV, you will never turn back.

Mike_

Thanks for all the advice, I love the Big Horn but I will look hard at a Sundance to start with. I have never pulled a trailer as long as a Big Horn so I will have to start smaller.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You don't have to start smaller just because you haven't towed before. We had never owned a trailer before and we went directly to the 3670RL which is the longest of the Big Horns. Sometimes you just have to jump into the deep end of the pool and get really wet. We decided it was better to get what we really wanted instead of settling for something we would just want to trade up from in a couple of years. We made that mistake with boats, we didn't want to do that again! :eek::eek:

Kristy

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I couldn't agree more with Ziggy. Your future dealer should be more than happy to help you out with the basics and a ride along until your comfortable. If not, keep looking until you find one. Just make sure your TV matches up with the coach you like, take it easy and you will be fine.

Mike_

I never thought of it that way, thanks Ziggy. Now to convince the wife. By the way I've noticed ya'll refer to your better halves as DW, what does that stand for.

bacaye

Mike...Make sure you ask the girls what that means and not one of the guys!!!! You might see several definitions to that question. Then again, the girls might have their own definition too...LOL Barb

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Barb, When Kenny says DW he means Dear Wife or that's what he tells me it means!!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Yep. It costs a lot more to upgrade after a couple of years than to buy what you want to start with.
Kristy

rick_debbie_gallant

You don't have to start smaller just because you haven't towed before. We had never owned a trailer before and we went directly to the 3670RL which is the longest of the Big Horns. Sometimes you just have to jump into the deep end of the pool and get really wet. We decided it was better to get what we really wanted instead of settling for something we would just want to trade up from in a couple of years. We made that mistake with boats, we didn't want to do that again! :eek::eek:

Kristy

Ditto on that. we made several mistakes when we got into RV'ing.

1. Made the mistake of getting the TV before the 5er. Not once but twice! 1st time was buying a 1500 for our 27ft sob. Should have gotten the 5er first then the truck.

2nd time we bought a 2500 before we bought our next 5er. After we got the 3670 RL we decided we would rather have a 3500 DRW. Don't get me wrong, the 2500 is more than enough truck to pull the 3670 with but we went ahead and traded the 2500 in for the 3500.

Bottom line, instead of doing the "2 foot, 2 step" find the rig you like, and jump in. Pulling a 36' or 40' is really not any different than pulling a 27 or 30. But oh the difference in creature comforts, room, and did I say creature comforts? Oh, and the fuel mileage thing, there will be just a slight difference but then you only live once. Jump in the water is fine, and Texas in the winter time is way better than Michigan in the winter time.