Newbie asking advice on truck match-up

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Dodge offers an engine/exhaust brake in 2007.5 and newer. It is a great feature.

JanAndBill

I have found that you will get most if not all your money back on a 4WD at re-sale. Especially if you sell it yourself. They are in much higher demand than 2WD, at least around here. The fuel mileage difference is negligible. Better to have it and not need it than ……………..

We had to have 4 wheel drive to get up our gravel driveway, but I never really thought about needing it any place else until this past week. Pulled into a campground with paved roads right after a rain, and as we turned a sharp corner there in front of us was a short but "Steep" grade with wet grass clippings. I really don't think we would have made it up without 4 wheel drive because we didn't have any speed.

Eddhuy

Whether Ford, Chevy or Dodge, they all work well. If you plan on upgrading to a bigger fiver later on or if you think you may upgrade, get the truck for it now. It will save you money in the long run. My fiver has a GVWR or 14K with dry hitch weight of 2.2K and my F350 single rear wheel does not need air support and is rock steady in windy conditions and oncoming trucks give it no grief. I like to be able to easily excelerate when needed whether on the level or uphill and the F350 6.7L diesel does just that. Even my 2004 6.0l F350 did well, just not as easily as the 6.7l.

TravisJen

We have a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW and pulls our 5er great. After having an exhaust brake, I would say its a must. I only really use the brakes under 50 km/h when coming off the highway.

GOTTOYS

a 3/4 ton will pull it just fine........
Disagree...SOME 3/4 tons will pull it just fine and some 3/4 tons might haul it just fine but others may not...They just don't have the load capacity. Why even consider a 3/4 ton? The price is about the same as a 1 ton single rear wheel..the only difference between them anymore is the sticker on the door and the rear springs. Same frame, axle, tires, shocks, drive train. You won't notice any difference in the ride. There is no reason or advantage I can think of to ever purchase a 3/4 ton for hauling a fifth wheel...JMHO...Don