Newbie fifth wheelers PDI/ walk thru

Rjmchamp

Hi everyone we are almost a week away from taking delivery of our New 2017 Bighorn 3970rd from La Mesa. We're really excited but don't want our ethusiam to get the best of us during our inspection. We are both new into this fifth wheeling life style so you could imagine joy and nervousness are at their fullest. What suggestion could you all provide that we showed really be looking or asking during our inspection also are there any major concerns with this model. Any insight would help tremendously. Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Rjmchamp and welcome to this great forum. Lots of great information here.
Excitement must be building.
Forum user Oregon_Camper has a great PDI list.
Check post number 3 in this thread then look at his signature for a link to his PDI.
Or just click HERE.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Rjmchamp,

Congratulations on the new Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There are 2 aspects to your PDI: learning what's what and how to operate everything, and checking that everything works. Take your time and don't sign the acceptance paperwork until you're satisfied that everything works, or for anything that can't be corrected on the spot, that it's noted in writing as an exception that needs to be corrected.

It's pretty easy to miss things, so if at all possible, you should arrange to stay at the dealer or nearby for a day or two so you have a chance to try everything while using the coach. Before signing, talk with the service manager (with sales at your side) and explain that if you find anything that needs to be corrected, that you'd like to bring it back and have it fixed while you wait (barring items that might need parts not on hand). That'll save you having to drop off the trailer and wait for them to get around to fixing it.

If one person can pay attention to how things operate, while the other videos the walk through, you can refer back to that video to refresh your memory.

Being new to 5th wheels, pay special attention to hitching/unhitching.

We have a number of owner-written user guides that may help you prep for the walk through. Here's a link.

Rjmchamp

Dave thank you for the link this should give us a start for a game plan going into the inspection

- - - Updated - - -

Danemayer I appreciated the feedback and advise that's exactly the direction we were seeking. Wow second day on this forum and the learning lessons are so valuable.

Oregon_Camper

Hope my PDI is helpful. If you find something I might have missed...Please let me know, so I can continue to add value to folks using it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Rjmchamp

Everyone we just had our PDI this past Saturday and wow we came out of it with two full sheets of major issues (Slideouts/AC water leaks/ exposed wiring/ loose fireplace/ electric GFI blowing etc) that needed to be corrected before we signed any final papers. Had it not been for you all we wouldn't have been so prepared and probably would have walked out happy later to find out we had a lemon. I absolutely recommend the PDI provided to me from the group. Now here's hoping they fix everything or I might be looking for a different fifth wheel.

Everyone we just had our PDI this past Saturday and wow we came out of it with two full sheets of major issues (Slideouts/AC water leaks/ exposed wiring/ loose fireplace/ electric GFI blowing etc) that needed to be corrected before we signed any final papers. Had it not been for you all we wouldn't have been so prepared and probably would have walked out happy later to find out we had a lemon. I absolutely recommend the PDI provided to me from the group. Now here's hoping they fix everything or I might be looking for a different fifth wheel.
Wow - 2 full sheets of major issues! Good for you for holding their feet to the fire. I'm curious -- what was the dealer's reaction when handed your list of corrections? Did they bend over backwards and promise that everything would be fixed, or did they cop an attitude?

Oregon_Camper

Comments like this are EXACTLY why I put the time into creating that PDI document. I am so happy it helped you find problems before you left the dealer.

Kbvols

Hope my PDI is helpful. If you find something I might have missed...Please let me know, so I can continue to add value to folks using it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

We recently used your PDI document it was great! Thank You for putting together and sharing. It was funny my wife and I split it up. She was into checking it in detail the tech helping us commented that your wife sure knows about RV's ....lol. We showed him the list and he started checking in advance of us. Against Thank You!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rjmchamp

So update: La Mesa called on Wednesday to inform us that there isn't anything on the list they can't fix. One thing he mentioned which I would love for some help on is the slide out toppers. He mention since there New they are causing the slide out to not extend all the way so we have a two inch gap on the inside slide out in not flush with the wall the gasket hit the wall but the trim doesn't , hes recommendation was to leave it alone and after a few retract and extends the fabric would stretch otherwise if they loosen them they might be saggy after a few times. Really I have no idea it seem legit but let me ask you all. Also we did offer him the list we would be going by before during the PDI there response no need we have our own quality check list lol REALLY.. finally yes we had a team of three my wife and father each one had there own printout and task. Nailed it on finding defects so thanks to everyone who helped. Very curious about the slide out toppers

danemayer

So update: La Mesa called on Wednesday to inform us that there isn't anything on the list they can't fix. One thing he mentioned which I would love for some help on is the slide out toppers. He mention since there New they are causing the slide out to not extend all the way so we have a two inch gap on the inside slide out in not flush with the wall the gasket hit the wall but the trim doesn't , hes recommendation was to leave it alone and after a few retract and extends the fabric would stretch otherwise if they loosen them they might be saggy after a few times. Really I have no idea it seem legit but let me ask you all. Also we did offer him the list we would be going by before during the PDI there response no need we have our own quality check list lol REALLY.. finally yes we had a team of three my wife and father each one had there own printout and task. Nailed it on finding defects so thanks to everyone who helped. Very curious about the slide out toppers
The fabric on our slide toppers didn't stretch appreciably in 4 years and I doubt yours will stretch.

To verify their theory that puts the problem on the toppers, all they have to do is manually wind up the roller until there's a few inches of slack in the fabric. Pin the roller so it doesn't rotate. Then see if the slide goes out all the way. If their theory is correct, they'll have to take the fabric off and unwind the roller a few turns to reduce the spring tension.

Rjmchamp

ATF: Bighorn - Slide-Out inside gaps

Hi everyone, looking for some assistance in identify wether this is normal. Dealership is telling me that since the slide out toppers are new they will stretch with use and at that point the slide out gap will fill in. They also mentioned if they lossen the tension then theyre worried the toppers would be to lose when it does stretch out. I've provided a photo of how it looks and since this is our first fifth wheel we aren't sure how it's suppose to look. Plus does the fabric stretch like they are saying it does?

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 71

Rjmchamp

Danemayer

Thanks for the advise I just finished sending the dealership an email stating that I wanted all slideouts adjust that had been identified during the PDI and if any tension adjustment to the topper were needed after that then that would be fine but first a line the slideouts. I'll tell you this has been a learning experience and we haven't even finalized the deal yet. I'm just glad that this community exist because had it not been for you all I would be died in the water. Thanks

Rjmchamp

Hi all

I wanted to update everyone on the status of this long drawn out process. As I had previously noted we had found multiple issues all in my opinion major (electrical, heavy water condensation etc) during our PDI utilizing the information provided by the forum enough to fill up two sheets. As a result we opted to not take the fifth wheel at that time not finalizing any deal. Well it's been officially one entire month and a day since we became a pending buyer and FINALLY Friday we will be conducting a follow up PDI inspection and if all goes well we will be proud owner of a Bighorn 3970rd.

This process has taught me so much and I feel like its important to share. To anyone interested in purchasing a fifth wheel just some helpful DO NOT's :

1. Have the dealership plug in the unit prior to even suggesting this is the one ( test the AC, slideouts, awning, refrigerator) spot a lemon before you even get started.

2. Be prepared to conduct your PDI your way don't allow the orientation rep to dictate the flow of your PDI remember his or her job is to zip you by all the problems so you sign and leave. In my case I had a team of three all given the same check list and assign tasks, I stayed with the guide while my wife and father checked everything inside and out from the roof to the USB ports. It your time so use it all

3. Most importantly DO NOT take the unit if it has problems. Trust me we learned the in's and out's of the business here. After refusing to take the unit until all the problems were fixed and trust me they try underplaying the issues so defend your stance if it's not to your liking or looks wrong then don't budge. We spent 3 weeks dealing with the service department it wasn't til we went in and spoke to the Sales Manager and they figured out they didn't have our money that the ball started moving really quick like one week. So when I say don't take the unit I mean don't take it, it's their problem and they will move at a lightening pace but once you own it then they start with the run around waiting on parts. Also demand that they take parts from other new models on the lot if they want your business once again since the unit belong to them and not you they will.

Thats pretty much it so far. I still can't believe come Friday it will have been 34 days since we said yes and we just might be finally taking it home. I can tell you what should have been an enjoyable moment turned into a nightmare but at least I wasn't making monthly payments along the way I guess that's a blessing

Oregon_Camper

LOL...I should put your last post at the top of my PDI, just to ensure folks really understand the value of doing it properly and taking your time. :cool:

Happy you almost have your RV home. You will forget about 34 days you had to wait...as you relax on your next camping trip KNOWING everything will work as it should.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Glad you finally got it going!

Be prepared to find more things as you use it as every problem can't be found during the PDI, but not until you are out actually using the camper.

And you are right . . . once you take the trailer home the dealership will give you the run-around when it comes to warranty repairs.

Although I found a way to put a fire under them . . .

Our dealership kept playing phone tag with me for weeks.

So I went on their Facebook page and wrote a review about their awful customer service . . .

Not even five minutes later my phone started ringing!

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on your Bighorn! Your delivery is always exciting and things do get missed. You have alot of good advice here.
Wishing you all the best and safe travels.

Terri

DirtyMax88

Glad you finally got it going!

Be prepared to find more things as you use it as every problem can't be found during the PDI, but not until you are out actually using the camper.

And you are right . . . once you take the trailer home the dealership will give you the run-around when it comes to warranty repairs.

Although I found a way to put a fire under them . . .

Our dealership kept playing phone tag with me for weeks.

So I went on their Facebook page and wrote a review about their awful customer service . . .

Not even five minutes later my phone started ringing!

We did a similar thing and left a long negative (but not mean or nasty) google review. Thought it would light a fire, like you said. It actually did the opposite. They hit something with our trailer which left large paint chips in the rear cap. We told they they did it and needed to fix it. Their response was "you cant prove we did it, and why should we help you out, you left us a bad review." Needless to say if I were at the dealership that day, I may have been arrested for giving that service manager a beating....

- - - Updated - - -

Rjmchamp Congrats on your new 5th wheel, they are very very nice!!! Hope to see you down the road!

Rjmchamp

We did a similar thing and left a long negative (but not mean or nasty) google review. Thought it would light a fire, like you said. It actually did the opposite. They hit something with our trailer which left large paint chips in the rear cap. We told they they did it and needed to fix it. Their response was "you cant prove we did it, and why should we help you out, you left us a bad review." Needless to say if I were at the dealership that day, I may have been arrested for giving that service manager a beating....

- - - Updated - - -

Rjmchamp Congrats on your new 5th wheel, they are very very nice!!! Hope to see you down the road!

Thanks