Newbie on 5th Wheel Towing

'Lil Guy'

Getting set up to close on new Elkridge E289 with Mor/Ryde pin box. They want to install the B & W receiver. Is this a good combination or would the Curt Q16 be better? I'm pretty much at their mercy on this. I did want the new pin box after reading through the forum. These hitches bolt directly into my bed of my 2014 Ram 2500 short bed crew cab. Was told I don't need a slide. I've read a lot of pros and cons on this site about this subject so no need to start again The dry weight of rig is 8,287. My question is whether I need air bags or not in the rear. The salesman says no. The hitch weight is going to be at least 1800 lbs. He says if it doesn't sit the truck down more than 1 inch, I don't need them. I'm thinking that 1800# will put more than an inch of squat. What air bags are people using on this model truck? Any advice or help would ease my mind on this. Moving up 1 foot at a time.lol Is there a learning curve on towing a 5th wheel or is it easier than pulling a TT? Thanks again in advance.

AKDallBH

You will not "need" the airbags, but you may want them. I would say wait until after you tow the rig a few times to see howbit sits and howbit tows. There are always lots of things to spend money on. Good tires for the trailer and maybe a chip for the truck are two others that would be competing against airbag. But with this lightrr trailer, you may find you don't need any of these.

Scot

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
1. We have a B&W. Either hitch is good.
2. Firestone Airbags, or add a leaf. Our son has these airbags on a Dodge 3500 shortbed Mega. Shortbed tow vehicles sit down more than a long bed.
3. Fifth wheels do tow much better.

Good luck with your new adventure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have air bags on our truck and the Trailer Saver TS3 hitch which has air bags and shocks. However our pin weight is 4400 lbs. If your hitch weight is that low I wouldn't think you would need a hitch with air bags. You might want to put the air bags on your truck to level it out it the truck 'squats' because you don't want your headlights shining in the trees. But I would check it first to see. Don't let the dealer 'oversell' you. BTW our daughter had a 32 foot Trail Runner travel trailer (which she just sold) and I have towed it a number of times for her and find our 42 foot Landmark is easier to tow than the travel trailer. Backing the 5er takes some getting used to as it responds slower than the travel trailer to the steering inputs. Good luck and Happy Travels.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats! IMHO towing a 5th wheel is much easier and less stressful than a TT. Just remember the 5th will cut corners sharper than your TV. Be mindful and take wide cuts. You will get used to the way it tracks quickly and it will be second nature. Backing will take some getting used to as well. The 5th will not react as soon as a TT. My most important rule is use the GOAL method. Get Out And Look. It will save you everytime! Have fun.

EPaulikonis

I'm running a Ram 3500 dually long bed with a Landmark (3,400 pin weight) and run Firestone air bags. Second set I've owned on two different tow vehicles. Excellent product and very easy installation, even for the not so mechanically inclined user.

Another benefit beyond handling of the TV and trailer is driveline geometry. Have seen several posts on multiple forums where air bag installation helped eliminate chucking and other takeoff issues. Good Luck!

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the replies. I can't picture where the delay in steering is coming from when backing up. I guess I'll see soon enough. Thanks again.

whp4262

Thanks for the replies. I can't picture where the delay in steering is coming from when backing up. I guess I'll see soon enough. Thanks again.

It's a leverage thing, the 5th wheel is mounted over the rear axle and the TT is attached at the rear bumper which has more side to side travel when turning. You will probably tend to over control the 5th wheel at first when backing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

Turning:

When you turn the truck it pivots around the only fixed point on the ground, the rear wheels and axle. The rear bumper not being on the pivot point moves through a larger arc providing a greater amount of turning movement. The front wheels, being further from the pivot point, moves through an even larger arc. The front bumper, even larger.

'Lil Guy'

Makes sense. Let's see, swing wider on turns and needs more input when backing. I'm probably making a bigger issue on this than need be. I'll see soon enough. Thanks again. Changed the hitch to a Curt Q16 that fits the pucks in my bed. Looks easy to remove. Will Pull the new rig out on Thursday. Didn't like the B and W hitch they wanted to sell me.

whp4262

Makes sense. Let's see, swing wider on turns and needs more input when backing. I'm probably making a bigger issue on this than need be. I'll see soon enough. Thanks again. Changed the hitch to a Curt Q16 that fits the pucks in my bed. Looks easy to remove. Will Pull the new rig out on Thursday. Didn't like the B and W hitch they wanted to sell me.

Because the pivot point is over the rear axle the 5th wheel will initially react slower to steering wheel inputs than a bumper pull will. So the natural tendency is to give it a little more but then when it does react a little more ends up being a little to much. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, you'll figure it out soon enough.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The first time we attempted to back into our driveway on a cul-de-sac, it took us over an hour. Granted, we were avoiding a brick mailbox, a metal transformer box, a shrub, and trying not to hit the curbs or go into the yard... But we did it. Over the next three years, we finally got it down to under 2 minutes. Also note that we live within an HOA that prohibits trailers staying more than 72 hours, so we didn't store it at home. Thus, very little practice over 3 years! Most of the time we loaded/unloaded it on the street, but when we decided to take on some larger upgrade projects, we had to park it in the driveway.

It takes time, but it can be done!!

I have seen a video that can be purchased from RV Education 101, that has some specific exercises to do to learn how to turn and back. You practice in a parking lot with cones.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Getting rid of the "little guy" all ready??? Well.... looks like a nice floor plan. Amy wants to see it. Bring it up to Wyoming and we'll philosophize over some marinated ice cubes.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have yet to pull a 5th-wheeler . . . but when it comes to bumper pull trailers . . . I've been doing it since I was 10 years old!

I started pulling manure spreaders behind a 1942 Willie's Jeep on the ranch in northern Indiana when I was a kid to a 22-ft Vagabond Travel Trailer when I was 10 . . .

I can back a trailer in a spot that most people hire a professional driver to do it for them . . .

A few years back I was getting ready to back our old 1978 24 ft. Coachman TT into our side yard when my neighbor asked if I needed some help . . . I said "Sure . . . Why not?"

CampSite-P9030033.jpg

I proceeded to swing my trailer into a very tight spot between my garage and the fence in one attempt without any direction from him . . . and he said "That was the coolest trailer backup I've ever seen!"

Last edited:

whp4262

JohnD, I started on the farm too. Good place to learn stuff like backing trailers. Several years ago when I was living in Colorado I hauled a load of chips from Suncoa Foods in Greeley to the King Super warehouse in Denver. They gave me the wrong address and I ended up on a one way street in downtown Denver. It was all good until I came up on an overpass that was 12 foot something and my trailer was 13'6". I had to back all the way back down the street to get out of there. Good thing it was about 04:00 am, not much traffic and no cops so no ticket either.

scottyb

Yep, same here. Learned how to pull and back up a 26' gooseneck horse trailer well before I had my learners permit. I remember taking driver's education course offered at high school, and couldn't believe the number of city kids my age that didn't even know how to start the car and put it in D. I once towed the gooseneck loaded with horses and gear about 240 mi to a race in Brady, with just a lerner's permit and my Mom sitting in the passenger seat. Not sure if that is allowed these days, or for that matter if it was legal then.

'Lil Guy'

That's nothing JohnD. When I was 2 years old, I would sneak my dad's station wagon out and hook up to the neighbors 75' Airstream and back it all over town, returning it to it's original location and being back in bed by dawn. My only problem backing up now is I have a stiff neck and can't really turn my head very much. Once I'm out of the mirrors I have to depend on DW. That's another story. That young man from Wyoming has a pretty good cure for my neck. Didn't hurt a bit after our last meeting. Dave, I doubt Amy will be too impressed with our new toy after seeing what you have. But if she is, we might work out a swap. I hope to run into you again in the near future and I'll supply the ice cubes this time. I'll yell before we go that way and hopefully you'll be around. Might even catch up to you at a Heartland rally. Don't know whether to put "Lil Guy" on the back of our new rig or "The Fireball Express". Later

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That's nothing JohnD. When I was 2 years old, I would sneak my dad's station wagon out and hook up to the neighbors 75' Airstream and back it all over town, returning it to it's original location and being back in bed by dawn. My only problem backing up now is I have a stiff neck and can't really turn my head very much. Once I'm out of the mirrors I have to depend on DW. That's another story.

Well, when I was 6 months old, I used to pull . . . :cool:

Well, lets just say that the Daytona 500 was just one pull away! :p

That young man from Wyoming has a pretty good cure for my neck. Didn't hurt a bit after our last meeting. Dave, I doubt Amy will be too impressed with our new toy after seeing what you have. But if she is, we might work out a swap. I hope to run into you again in the near future and I'll supply the ice cubes this time. I'll yell before we go that way and hopefully you'll be around. Might even catch up to you at a Heartland rally. Don't know whether to put "Lil Guy" on the back of our new rig or "The Fireball Express". Later

I was going to have "Trailer Trash" painted on the back of our old 1978 Coachman Cadet 24-foot travel trailer . . . which is one of the reasons why my wife decided we needed a new travel trailer!

Thus our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner!

Camper10767.jpg CampSite-P9030033.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg TruckCamperGlewoodSprings-P1050162.jpg SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg Camping11MileSmall-IMG_0420.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg

Jim.Allison

I learned at an early age down on the ranch. Grandpa would take a nap, and I would hook up the gooseneck and drive all over the ranch, smoking his "Lucky Strikes." Those were the days. It WAS different back then.