Newbie on 5th Wheel Towing

farside291

What truly amazes is when you back up, nail the kingpin first time in the coupler, use the remote to raise the front jacks and take off with the fifth in tow. Just make sure the kingpin latch is of the automatic type!

'Lil Guy'

Back to serious questions. I measure the base of the Kingpin from the ground and then the truck bed to the ground. The difference is where I set the top of my Q16 hitch. Ideally, it all should be hooked up and level. I'm sure Ill get some squat with the 1800 PW. I'm worried about my bed height with the ram 4X4. I need to get at least 5 1/2 of bed clearance. I may be worrying about nothing here. I'm thinking it might be high for the pin. I'm removing my toolbox because it's about 5" over the bed. I'll get the 40 gal tank box later. Has anyone set up their hitch on a 4X4 that seems high in the rear?

mobilcastle

I am not quite sure what you mean high in the rear. Do you mean the front of the 5ver (nose) high or low? It can be either and you try to make corrections to get it to be level. The truck will generally squat some if you are worried about that. Good luck.
Back to serious questions. I measure the base of the Kingpin from the ground and then the truck bed to the ground. The difference is where I set the top of my Q16 hitch. Ideally, it all should be hooked up and level. I'm sure Ill get some squat with the 1800 PW. I'm worried about my bed height with the ram 4X4. I need to get at least 5 1/2 of bed clearance. I may be worrying about nothing here. I'm thinking it might be high for the pin. I'm removing my toolbox because it's about 5" over the bed. I'll get the 40 gal tank box later. Has anyone set up their hitch on a 4X4 that seems high in the rear?

'Lil Guy'

My ram sits high in the rear (rake). It's the stock 4X4 stance. I'm probably worrying about nothing here. I'll set it up and let the dealer look at it when I get my rig.

Jim.Allison

I have 3650 RL and when loaded I intentionally maintain some of that rake you are speaking about. I have plenty of clearance.
My ram sits high in the rear (rake). It's the stock 4X4 stance. I'm probably worrying about nothing here. I'll set it up and let the dealer look at it when I get my rig.

ncrzrbk

My 2014 Ram 3500 came with 20" wheels. I to worried about the "nose high" but to my amazement it sat perfect with a new 25k B&W hitch. I went from a Ram 2500 short bed with a slider hitch.

I have 8" of bed clearance and everything is level. I do have my kingpin at the lowest point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

teasac69

I just wish I could get this bunch of story tellers around a fire pit and some adult beverages and listen to the whoppers. I'd give up a good nights sleep to hear these once the embellishment kicks in. Mr. Baker, seems like you've gotten some good info and the rest of us have been lightly entertained. No, don't have any stories about backing a big rig at the ripe old age of 5 but just love to fly upside down. :cool:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just wish I could get this bunch of story tellers around a fire pit and some adult beverages and listen to the whoppers. I'd give up a good nights sleep to hear these once the embellishment kicks in. Mr. Baker, seems like you've gotten some good info and the rest of us have been lightly entertained. No, don't have any stories about backing a big rig at the ripe old age of 5 but just love to fly upside down. :cool:

All you have to do is go to one of the Heartland Owners Club Rallies, and I'm sure your wish will be fulfilled!

'Lil Guy'

DW and I are so bad at backing our TT (due to communication) that the embers at the rally we attended were going to be there waiting with score cards. Thank the Lord I had a pull through.