Newbie to 5th wheel trailer

swburbguy

My wife and I have been camping for 2 yrs. We presently own a Jayco 25RKS and are looking to upgrade. I'm impressed with the insulation on the BIG Horn trailers. I'm looking for a few tips from the gang. If you were to buy another 5th wheel is there anything you would do different as in options you would and would not get? Any help would be appreciated. Dave and Sandy

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Welcome to the forum!
We recently moved up from a Heartland North Trail 21fbs (bumper pull) to a new Bighorn 3570rs with several bells and whistles. At this point we are very happy with it the way it is, we added as options the following: 6 point hydraulic leveling / dual pane windows / 2 low profile a/cs with heat pumps / hidden safe / Goodyear G614 tires / bike hitch / fireplace / 4 door refrigerator / convection oven / mor-ryde hitch / theater seating / 8,000 pound axles with upgraded brakes / 2 dinette folding chairs and of course the 2 forced option packages being the king of the mountain package and the bighorn premier package. At this point we are not missing any of the other options that we did not buy and like having the ones we did buy. The tire upgrade is a must IMHO.

jimtoo

Hi Dave and Sandy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Also if there is something you want as an option, don't take your dealers word for it not being available. You might call Heartland Customer service and ask for brand manager of which ever unit your looking at and they may be able to help you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Yes I was wondering if the whisper quiet ac units are available .

Only on the Landmarks.

The low profile a/c with heat pumps on the Bighorn are the dometic penguin II ... Not so whisper quiet! But they do cool it down nice.

Mizmary

We have the big cyclone. No whisper quiet, but we turn on the bedroom a/c when we are in the living room. A well placed fan funnels the cooler air down and it's close. When we are in the bedroom - we run the living room a/c and that is ducted to the whole place.

It is NOT whisper quiet, but it does the job- and functions almost the same way. 😄

gebills

Pretty much what Inviszatu said; ditto..... The tire swap is of significant importance. The items we wish we would have considered more carefully are:
1) 6-point lift
2) dual pane windows
3) brake upgrade

I feel the theater seating is an upgrade we will be doing but with our 3455RL, we swap positions with the sofa and two recliners if staying for more than 1 day. This plays into how we want our furniture setting and as we'll, the size of the furniture, so as to allow the slides to move past the furniture when sliding in & out. I think I would rather do this one myself.

Another option I will b putting on is a solid mounted satellite dish. We currently set out a Direct tv manual dish; works well but kind of a pain in the behind though.

The most important item though; swap the tires to an upgraded tire..... Happy Trails... GBills

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Glenn, ditch the satellite dish. Get a Wineguard "carry out " dome and ladder mount. Under $900 and easy to install. Put one on the Horn 3 years ago. best thing I ever did (well almost). The issue with the roof mount...besides the cost, are trees. Heavy trees ...no satellite.

Jim.Allison

Hi Everyone

I too am a newbie, but you are way ahead of me in that you already have a Jayco and have been using it. But here is what I would tell someone, if they were to ask me.
1. YouTube the heck out of each of the subjects that you are contemplating.
2. Get your price online and beat your local dealer up with it, have no mercy.
3. 25% discount from list is the negotiation starting point these days. Aim for 30%!
4. Get a great deal, and put down a large down payment so you are not financing things that wear out (you would not finance a couch or washer dryer for 20 years would you?).
5. Read the truck size problems and opinions on this site. Many (including me) purchased a marginal truck for towing the fifth wheel, it is spilt milk in many cases, just don't let it happen to you. Lots of guys on here that know what they are talking about on that subject.
6. The Onan genset is expensive, but it is even more expensive from Heartland. Buy it off the internet (no sales tax, no freight) and have local install it for you or install it yourself. Since it last a lifetime it is all right to finance an equivelant dollar amount of non durable items such as couches and TV's. The washer and dryer was not even considered in my purchase. If Amy decides she wants one then we will buy one.
7. Consider service policy, "Couches RV Nation" had a great deal for my Big Country and a great extended service plan.
8. Let the dealer finance if you can, they make a little off the note and will make a little off the service policy. If this helps them make me a deal then fine as long as I get some value for it. Its a balancing act.

I hope this helps you or someone else.

Last edited:

danemayer

6. The Onan genset is expensive, but it is even more expensive from Heartland. Buy it off the internet (no
sales tax, no freight) and have local install it for you or install it yourself.
Two things I'd point out about local or self-install:
1. Installation can be difficult. If considering local installation, make sure you know in advance who can install it. Not every dealer will be able or willing to do it for you.
2. Order the generator prep. Without it, local installation will be more difficult.

swburbguy

I already bought a 2013 Silverado 3500 HD ,CC, SRW, 4WD, Its got the exhaust brake on it too. I'd get the upgraded tires, possibly the bigger brakes and axle, 4Dr frig, 2nd ac unit , 6 leg levelers. I've been thinking of the gen set wiring. I'd want the hard wired surge suppressor. A friend works with a guy who's old trailer wiring burned up at a camp ground. So that would be a must.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I already bought a 2013 Silverado 3500 HD ,CC, SRW, 4WD, Its got the exhaust brake on it too. I'd get the upgraded tires, possibly the bigger brakes and axle, 4Dr frig, 2nd ac unit , 6 leg levelers. I've been thinking of the gen set wiring. I'd want the hard wired surge suppressor. A friend works with a guy who's old trailer wiring burned up at a camp ground. So that would be a must.

Get an EMS (electrical management system) not just a surge protector. Great unit made by progressive industries... yes a must.
You can type in the advanced search box for other post about these systems.

Grey Ghost

Welcome aboard, nice group of people here and always willing to help out. Enjoy your rig and be careful out there!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would be very leary of most "service" contracts. Some are only good at your selling dealer. Others you pay out of pocket and hope they pay you back. Most of these have "weasle" clauses so they don't have to pay. Most "service" contracts can be puchased after the 1 year runs out from HL. Your appliances have a 2-3 year warrenty. So why would you want to pay for something that your not going use anyway. Look at Good Sams service policies and road side service. Your auto policy my leave your 5er sitting along the side of the road and only tow your TV. Make phone calls and do research before you buy anything. BTW, DO NOT buy any interior or exterior protection. They are a total rip-off. A $5 bottle of stuff that costs $1000 to apply? You talk about "weasle" clauses...these protection products are run by "weasles". You can buy Scotch guard in spray cans at Wally World and do it yourself. JMHO

teedub

Thank you for some helpful posts above. My husband and I are researching about 5th wheels...upgrading from a travel trailer with manual everything. What recommendations would you all give for me to add to our lists of what we might want, and what are absolute must-haves for a 5th wheel EXTERIOR?

danemayer

Thank you for some helpful posts above. My husband and I are researching about 5th wheels...upgrading from a travel trailer with manual everything. What recommendations would you all give for me to add to our lists of what we might want, and what are absolute must-haves for a 5th wheel EXTERIOR?
Hi teedub,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get questions answered and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of suggestions shortly.

Stormvet

Sorry, I'm another new guy to 5th wheeling and not even sure how to start a thread on this forum so I will jump in here until I learn. 2009 Cyclone 3950.
2 questions, (1) what is the trick to leveling when you have 3 axles? and (2) Since I have a moderatly used rig, I purchased a extended warranty. Is anyone familiar with "ExtraRide" I got a platnum package and I figured if any one major component fails withing 5 years it will pay for itself, and a little piece of mind.
Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Stormvet,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

For leveling,, side to side,, place boards, that's what most of use. under the low side wheels. Front to back, use the front jacks till level and then deploy the rear stabilizers. A good chock at the wheels will help in movement also.

As far as extended warranty,, read the fine print.. most all have a way out of paying for anything.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you Cyclone.

Jim M