Newbie to forum looking for owner input.

smittyams

Hello Cyclone community. Me and DW are looking at TH's and are concidering the cyclone among several other brands. We have made a list of must haves and this brand has everything as standard or optional. So what I am looking for is how is the quality? Is there an abnormal number of issues? I'm trying to get all my homework done on all of them so I make an educated buying desision, not an emotional one. Make too many of them already. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you for your time.

jimtoo

Hi smittyams,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

No one builds a perfect rv, but Heartland does support us really well. Also the Heartland Owners Forum is the best there is for help if or when needed. We have lots of Heartland Owners Guides (HUG), that are written by owners and actual users of the equipment.

I'm sure you will get more comments soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

remoandiris

IMO it is a LOT less about the build quality and MUCH MORE about dealer support. If you buy a new unit, HL (and most other brands) gives a 1-yr warranty. If you expect a dealer to fix the issues, you better find a VERY GOOD service dept. My coach is at the 3rd dealer (La Mesa in Port St Lucie, Fl). The other 2 (Camping World in Cocoa, Fl and Lazy Days in Tampa where I bought the coach) failed miserably. Even when they actually fixed something they screwed something else up or the repair didn't work.

I won't go into details because admin sent me a nasty gram, so if you want details about my coach's problems, PM me.

If you're going to fix problems yourself, just make sure you are VERY handy, regardless of what marque you buy.

TXTiger

Most all of the manufactures use the same components. Lippert frames. Lippert or Dexter axels and brakes, Domectric or Norco refer, Atwood or Sunbeam water heaters etc. All, no matter what you pay $50,000 to $500,000 class A's will have some problems. The difference is in the customer service after the sale. Heartland is very good at customer service. A lot also depends on the dealer, some are great, some are good and some are awful. Heartland will also let you use a independent repair shop if pre-approved. Remember also that regarding warranty, each component manufacturer (Lippert, Dexter, Domectric, Norco, Atwood, Sunbeam etc.) will also have a separate warranty and customer service you will get assistance from. Get the make, model and most importantly floorplan and options that you feel are important to you and find a dealer that has a good reputation and will give you the best price.

remoandiris

Heartland will also let you use a independent repair shop if pre-approved.

Interesting you say that. HL has NEVER allowed me to use an independent shop. When I ask, they require I jump thru so many hoops I simply succumb to dragging my unit to a factory dealer where it sat for 4ish months at a time.

Maybe it depends on what the issue is, but I've had plenty of problems and the only support I got from HL was a voice on the other end of the phone typing the problems into my file. That is it.

danemayer

Interesting you say that. HL has NEVER allowed me to use an independent shop. When I ask, they require I jump thru so many hoops I simply succumb to dragging my unit to a factory dealer where it sat for 4ish months at a time.

Maybe it depends on what the issue is, but I've had plenty of problems and the only support I got from HL was a voice on the other end of the phone typing the problems into my file. That is it.

Lots of people have posted about being permitted to use independents for warranty. All of my warranty work was done at a non-Heartland dealer except where they shipped me the parts directly so I could fix it myself. I have no idea why that's not worked for you.

scottyb

That is so opposite of my experience with HL. When my dealer under performed and even caused more problems than they fixed, HL stepped in and forced the dealers's hand on one issue and bypassed them altogether and sent parts directly to me on a couple others. I will never return my rig to that dealer for service. If I can't make the repair myself, i will seek an independent repair service. Their reputation and lively-hood survives solely on their service, unlike the dealer's.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One other thing to note. You can download a CY build/order sheet from the forum. Pick the model you like...then add up all the options you want. Then take that price and deduct 30% off that price...then go make your deal. RV dealer make up their own MSRP's. BTW, order it with the Goodyear G614's tires....you will be glad you did.

remoandiris

I have no idea why that's not worked for you.

I have no idea either. All I know is whenever I asked to use the independent shop close to me, I was given a bunch of himming and hawing from HL.

I have nothing but disappointment with HL cust svc and the 2 dealers who have failed to fix the problems. I hope the 3rd dealer gets everything done right. So far a month has passed since I dropped of the coach.

smittyams

Thanks everyone for your input. Me and DW are going to be at the Milwaukee RV show and plan on bringing our "required" equipment list and see what everyone has available. Then it comes down to looking at floorplans. Not worried about weight, will be towing with a 1 ton dually. I have several good dealers within a couple hours drive, some several minutes, all have good feedback for service and sales. I'm happy to hear from real owners about the good and bad, not just the hype from brochers or dealers.

FiremanBill

Hello Cyclone community. Me and DW are looking at TH's and are concidering the cyclone among several other brands. We have made a list of must haves and this brand has everything as standard or optional. So what I am looking for is how is the quality? Is there an abnormal number of issues? I'm trying to get all my homework done on all of them so I make an educated buying desision, not an emotional one. Make too many of them already. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you for your time.

We have had our 3110 since Feb of '13. We Love, love, love everything about it except for the tires that came on it. If you research this it won't take you long to find out the towmax, aka blowmax tires are downright dangerous. DO NOT get one with them on it or plan to replace them right away if you do.

The one design feature we do not like on ours is the bedroom closet slide. When it is closed it eliminates access to the bathroom and bedroom. And if you are larger than the average man you can't get to those with the main slideouts closed also. Anytime we stop for whatever and need access to those areas out come the slides which can be a bit inconvenient at times.

Other than that we are extremely happy with our 3110. The build quality is good. the look is outstanding, and knock on wood everything still works. Only warranty issue I had was one of the drawer slides broke and the ball bearings went rolling across the floor. One call to Heartland and a replacement was on the way.

jbeletti

smittyams,Thank you for your interest in Heartland. Would you be interested in speaking to a Cyclone team member by phone? If so, I can make that happen. Just PM or Email me your cell and I'll ask the Toyhauler team have a Cyclone team member or the Midwest Rep reach out to you These guys don't sell RVs to retail customers, so they can't talk costs, but they can answer NEARLY ANY product question you might have. Armed with that info, you can make your time at the show as efficient as possible.

Miltp920

Smittyams, we bought a 2014 Cyclone 3100 in August 2013. There are just two of us (TH sleeps 8) I replaced the Towmax tires (a must). Otherwise, I would say minor tolerable issues. There is some issue with the LED awning lights. They burn out, last about one year. It took a few months, but my dealer finally got them shipped to me with a few other items I needed for my 1 year warranty fix. My spare tire holder under the coach behind the axles failed, I almost lost my spare swinging on the cable. This may have happened when I pulled up into a gas station with a pretty steep incline- tire bottom out against pavement and bend the mechanism. I did not see any scuff marks on tire, but it seems the likely cause. HL gave me the parts. HLsent me the whole mechanism that mounts to frame beams, so I only have to remove about 8 bolts to replace unit. That impressed me. They sent me replacement LED strips for my awning. I heard it is an easy fix. I had a vent fan switch fail. I just had to take some pics so they sent me the right switch. We had toppers put on the slides at the dealer. Keeps the leaves and twigs off them. We are weekend campers, now were seasonal for 8 years. Make absolutely sure your truck can pull the camper you want to buy GCVWR, AND AXLE RATINGS, and Pin weight. 1 ton dually does not always mean you are good. F450, maybe. We love our Cyclone. It screams high end RV, and the quality has been good. Not exceptional, but good. It tows like a dream. Ours is only 36 feet, 2 axles. This site is a wealth of knowledge. Do your research! If I had it to do again, after hearing the witness that GY paid $4000 for their 7 year old G614 tire failure, That sold me. I am pretty sure Carlisle would NOT do that, and I heard someone say Michelin did NOT do that. DW and I dream of upgrading to a Cyclone 4000, tripple axle, but I will need a different truck. Until then, we enjoy what we have. We are not sure if the TH is the right RV to part time full time (winters) but that is the direction we are going in a few years. and we love 6 point hydraulic level...push a button, camper levels itself. There is a popping noise issue with this Lippert system, but Lippert says replacing the fluid will solve this issue. I have my coach registered at Lippert in case their is a recall. There are cheaper (cost) RVs, but we did not feel the same luxury outside of Cyclone. That was important to us, worth the extra $$. still got a pretty good deal, shop around, get a price from 3 dealers. Then pick the best deal. Price out exact same options. They will know you are dealer shopping. Why shouldnt you feel like you are getting the best deal? We live in Michigan, bought in Indiana. Indiana beat Michigan on same coach by a few thousnd dollars.

smittyams

I've learned quite a bit from this and other sites. I know my trucks "factory" ratings and are looking according to that. I may be a newbie 5ver owner, but not to towing. That I am greatful to say that I have decades of experience towing various different trailers including 5vers over the last couple years. So the little owner tips and tricks of big units help but I'm happy I'm not completely in the dark.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have no idea either. All I know is whenever I asked to use the independent shop close to me, I was given a bunch of himming and hawing from HL.

I have nothing but disappointment with HL cust svc and the 2 dealers who have failed to fix the problems. I hope the 3rd dealer gets everything done right. So far a month has passed since I dropped of the coach.

When my rig was under warranty two different independent repair facilities were authorized by Heartland to fix problems. Customer service for me was very good. The repair facilities worked with HL directly and it never cost me a dime out of pocket, (other than one service call, for a mobile technician).
Don't understand when you say hemming and hawing. Either they will authorize the shop, or they won't. There isn't any middle ground. Trace

remoandiris

When my rig was under warranty two different independent repair facilities were authorized by Heartland to fix problems. Customer service for me was very good. The repair facilities worked with HL directly and it never cost me a dime out of pocket, (other than one service call, for a mobile technician).
Don't understand when you say hemming and hawing. Either they will authorize the shop, or they won't. There isn't any middle ground. Trace

K. Then to be crystal clear, I asked HL cust svc reps several times if I could take my coach to an independent repair facility I had used on my previous coach. I was told "NO". Before the "NO", the HL cust svc rep gave me a few other options, such as pay out-of-pocket for a mobile repair tech and then apply to HL for reimbursement, or pay out-of-pocket for a mobile repair tech to diagnose the problem then wait on HL to decide of they'd authorize repairs.

In the end, it was such a headache and too much trust required on my part that HL would pay me back, that I opted to drag my coach to the dealers I have cited in other threads (and perhaps in earlier posts in this thread).

To those who have had good response from HL, congratulations. I am happy for you. In my experience, that has dragged on for over a year, HL cust scv has been less than helpful. When prospective buyers ask me about my 2014 coach, I do not mince words about the quality, cust svc, comfort or whether or not I'd buy another one.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
K. pay out-of-pocket for a mobile repair tech to diagnose the problem then wait on HL to decide of they'd authorize repairs.

Yes, this is the way HL handled my mobile repair visit. The "waiting for authorization" consisted of a five minute phone conversation between the mobile tech and HL customer service. HL authorized the repair without any cost to me, other than the service call. I felt it was worth the five minute wait. Trace

remoandiris

Yes, this is the way HL handled my mobile repair visit. The "waiting for authorization" consisted of a five minute phone conversation between the mobile tech and HL customer service. HL authorized the repair without any cost to me, other than the service call. I felt it was worth the five minute wait. Trace

I don't know how many different ways I can say it. I am happy you got good service. I, on the other hand, did NOT get good service.

You failed to state what issues you were having. I, on the other hand, spelled out the laundry list of problems I've had in another thread.

In closing, glad you are happy with HL. I am not.