No dogs left unattended?

dalspot

I did a double take when I saw your post - I started one on another forum last year with the exact same title LOL. The consensus of opinion was (at least until the thread got hijacked and turned into a rant on irresponsible pet owners) that they are not to be left tied outside, or left alone and causing a ruckus inside.

Last year, we left our dogs home and took the cat. This year we are about to lose our dog-sitter due to some form of early-adult independence-seeking on his part. Now we may have to bring them with us, which I'm not looking forward to with a 14-year old with age problems. I don't crate them any more but might resort to a Xpen set up on the vinyl. I rather imagine tho that the "not to be left unattended" will be take on a literal meaning in our case unfortunately.

porthole

Retired
We do the xpen thing. Use two pens which gives the pups an 8x8 pen.

2 camp trips before we lost our one golden, (the one that doesn't jump in the video) I bought a ramp for the trailer steps. with a toy hauler it works out OK since we just left it at he back door.

With age, teh ramp made it easier for her to navigate the steps.

On of our members here had a bracket that allowed a ramp to be at the main door, but could be slid over if necessary.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We stayed at a campground in Roswell NM that would not let us walk our dog in the campground except around the edges or small fenced in dog areas. That was a real PITA. We stayed there a week and won't go back there again.

BC

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We stayed at a campground in Roswell NM that would not let us walk our dog in the campground except around the edges or small fenced in dog areas. That was a real PITA. We stayed there a week and won't go back there again.

BC

I don't know how you made it a week with those rules. What do you do with a dog that can't or doesn't understand that they have to wait for that area?
Kristy

porthole

Retired
We do our best to get the dogs doing their business out on the edges. Of course it doesn't always happen, but I make every effort to not let them - until they are well clear of traveled areas.

I think of it as - I wouldn't want someone else's dog peeing/pooping in the front yard of my campsite, so why should I let my dogs do it.
Has nothing to do with cleaning up after your dog (I am assuming everyone here does). more to do with I don't want to walk on some animals fresh pea or poop spot.

I have found with ours, that after the first walk or two of getting them to the correct area, they get the message and understand Dad's not stopping till we get there.

RanCarr

BC

This is pretty common and becoming more common as I think you will find out. A few places where we camped have doggie areas where dog owners can take their dogs for exercise and to relieve themselves. One place in FL told us it was because campers didn't want dogs "going" on their sites. And that too many dog owners weren't picking up after the dogs. Where we spend the winter, a little south of Ocala, they have strict rules about picking up after dogs and it looks like people obey them. There's no incessant barking or feces left for others to clean up.

Cats must be kept inside or on leashes in most places also. We love our cats too much to let them out where they can get lost or run over or attacked by a dog.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our two cats are strictly indoors and have collars with their names and my cell phone on them in the event they do somehow get out. When we do have visitors, either at home or the rig, I act like the doorman/security guard to make sure they don't see an open door as an invitation to explore.

As for dogs, we've been at this campground for several years now and it doesn't seem to be a problem walking them along the roads. Only problem we had last year was a "non-seasonal" near us walking their big dog behind our trailer. A slight admonishment and the problem was solved.

RanCarr

Our two cats are strictly indoors and have collars with their names and my cell phone on them in the event they do somehow get out. When we do have visitors, either at home or the rig, I act like the doorman/security guard to make sure they don't see an open door as an invitation to explore.

We do the same thing. :D Only one of our cats is curious about the outside world and managed to get the screen door open and go for a walk. I caught her right away and now we have spring-hooks and eyes so she can't pull that little stunt again. Ours are chipped. They have collars but I have a real fear they'll strangle themselves on something as some of those safety collars take a LOT of weight to open. They also have harnesses but hate them. :( They're not door-dashers as are some cats, but we watch anyway. They spend a lot of time in the outside enclosure that attaches to the bedroom window. When we're in FL for the winter we have a large Gander Mountain screen room with bottom they can't escape from. Most days we take them out there for a change of scenery. We have all kinds of things for them to entertain themselves in the screen room. They have a table, boxes, a cat-tree, their carriers to nap in, assorted toys and a litterpan. We also keep them company as we like to read out there in the afternoon. When we leave the site we bring them all in the RV.

As for dogs, we've been at this campground for several years now and it doesn't seem to be a problem walking them along the roads. Only problem we had last year was a "non-seasonal" near us walking their big dog behind our trailer. A slight admonishment and the problem was solved.

From what I've seen I think most dog owners are responsible about where they walk them and picking up after them. Barking is more common a problem for other campers than stepping in dog feces.

RanCarr

BC

That's because other campers complain when dogs poop on their site and the owners don't pick it up. So don't blame the campground owners. They can't watch all the dog owners 24/7 to make sure they scoop-the-poop. We've seen several places in FL where you can't walk dogs except in fenced off areas or away from the campsites. No one seemed to mind. :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That's because other campers complain when dogs poop on their site and the owners don't pick it up. So don't blame the campground owners. They can't watch all the dog owners 24/7 to make sure they scoop-the-poop. We've seen several places in FL where you can't walk dogs except in fenced off areas or away from the campsites. No one seemed to mind. :)

I've always found this kind of amusing...do they think I can carry my 80lb dog to their "dog walk" areas??? I make every effort to keep them off other's sites and hope they can wait till we reach the "proper" place...but that does not always work...when you gotta go, you gotta go...JMHO! My Katie has made a habit of going in the middle of the road for this reason...if she can't get to the grass, she'll go where she has to.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Same here Kathy. I always pickup after Trevor, but sometimes he has to go and I can pick him up and carry him to the area. But after he has done his business I like to walk him around for a bit of exercise. This campground in Roswell does not want the dogs to walk around anywhere but the outside along the fence and the area is only about a foot wide.

BC

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
You are so right RanCarr!! When i see some one not pick it up I tell them to pick it up!! People with small dogs i find are the worst they think it's small so it"s OK!! I am not pointing fingers here so don't no one get their panties all tangle up!! Heck I have to watch people here at home they walk their dogs and let them poop anywhere and don't pick it up I have caught a few and they picked it up I had to give them a bag but they picked it up!! Then they want to know why no one wants their pets!! Hope everyone has a HAPPY 4TH:)

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
I have two big Rotties and we own property in a campground and we have never had a problem there or in any camp ground as to where we can walk them. I'm usually the dog walker and anytime they poop it is picked up regardless what time of day or night or even by woods, the rules are the rules and unfortunately not everyone thinks they apply to them and ruin it for the rest of us. Happy 4th of July and be safe everyone!!!!

A good attitude (Smile! even if you want to wring thier necks) I carry information about Bark collars, ultrasonic bird houses and extra bags in our camper for those that may need information to help make the rest us (rest easier) as these people move on to another campground.
Places say they are pet friendly- but the realty is --They are not!.
L

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
So far we haven't had a single problem in regard to Hunter. In fact, he's pretty popular. We leave him in the camper when we run to the store. All our back up devices in place. :)

The only issue we've had regarding dogs in a bunch of little barkers pinning me up against the truck. I'm a hardcore dog lover but those little things scared me. I was about to climb up on the running board. Amazingly, they were on leashes and the guardians just said "come on." If my dog had done that I would probably be kicked out of the park! And I would have put him firmly in his place.

Mainerunr

We take our boxer with us, she is very friendly and really is a big baby. We tried (once) putting her in the popup and leaving (really just going far enough to see what she would do) and she barked so we went back and did not try it again. Usually, when everyone heads to the pool or beach, I'm the one sitting at the site with Zoey. Funny thing is, she is not normally a barker.

We may try again with the TT but I certainly do not want anyone to have to hear her barking.

We also do not let the kids walk her (she doesn't 'charge' but she does pull). She weighs as much as they do.

tmcran

Three people killed at RV park in Brownwood,Tx over a dog pooping repeatly in a neighbors site. This was about 4 weeks ago.

RanCarr

Cats can so easily slip collars or get choked to death if you make them snug. We had our cats "chipped." They can't lose the chips and all shelters now check for chips. BTW, those so called safety collars are anything but,... it takes so much weight to make them release the cat would have to be horribly obese to be freed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Cats can so easily slip collars or get choked to death if you make them snug. We had our cats "chipped." They can't lose the chips and all shelters now check for chips. BTW, those so called safety collars are anything but,... it takes so much weight to make them release the cat would have to be horribly obese to be freed.

The collars disconnect with a sharp tug, similar to a cat jerking away. And if you put them on correctly, they are not snug about the neck. From what I understand, the readers for chips are not as common as you make out, particularly in understaffed, underfunded municipal animal shelters, aka. dog pounds.