No dogs left unattended?

RanCarr

The collars disconnect with a sharp tug, similar to a cat jerking away.

You must have some special collars then as the ones sold in places like PetSmart, Petco, PetSupermarket, Wal*Mart et al take a horrific "sharp tug" or violent twist similar to what a medium size dog could do, or 25 lbs or more to release. My cats are no more than 12 to 13 lbs each. Far too light to make the collars-disconnect. Twisting them and jerking them doesn't make them disconnect. A straight pull of 20 to 25 lbs or more will. If you somehow somewhere found those that let go when a 13 lb cat gets hung, and feel they're safe, by all means use them. :)

And if you put them on correctly, they are not snug about the neck. From what I understand, the readers for chips are not as common as you make out, particularly in understaffed, underfunded municipal animal shelters, aka. dog pounds.

This is true. The stores all need to teach the cat owners how to correctly put them on the cats. So far the stores are not doing this. There are surely small poorly funded shelters in backwater areas that don't have chip readers. But there is no guarantee cats wont slip any collar before being found. There is no 100% guarantee any cat will be returned to it's owner no matter what we do. But we do hear increasingly of cats being reunited with their owns due to chips all the time. Some after as long as 9 years. How many because it had a collar and tag?

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I feel if folks use collars or a chip at least they love thier pets enough to do one or the other!! I do both!! My dogs are tagged and chipped but it still does not mean you will get them back we just hope we do!! But it is nice to know John there are still people like you out there!! I love all my dogs just like they are my kids!!

tmcran

This something that could of been stoped if the dogs where running free the the CG Management should have taken care of it before it got to this point

Insider info from friend that lived in that town confirmed the management had intervened on a number of occasion's. However, it would be ok for awhile and then happen again. The guy that shot the dogs had warned the owner that he would take action if it happened again. Very much lack of consideration on the part of the dog owner.

We encountered a similar situation with dog owner in Fredericksburg TX. They had two small dogs that came into our area and would bark and yap at us. Owner said "oh they are sweet and will not bite." I told them in no uncertain terms I didn't think they were sweet and thought they were very poor owners. Next time they came in our area and started yapping I would kick their teeth in. Didn't see the dogs again. Two other campers came over after over hearing my comments and thanked me. I also reported this incident to the management.

RanCarr

I checked the cat safety collars at PetsMart this past week and I see they do open easier than those I bought 4 years ago.