No longer making Edge!!???

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I'm disappointed to read this. We just purchased an M21. While it's a brief steeping stone trailer to a fifth wheel for "most timing", its still unsettling to see the rig you just bought discontinued within 2 months. I hope my future experiences with heartland are better, and longer lived.

PhotoPete

Welcome to the club. Our Floorplan was discontinued at about the same time we bought it and the salesman never mentioned that fact. Hence the term "Classic Landmark". So I guess you will now have a "Classic Edge".

jbeletti

I'm disappointed to read this. We just purchased an M21. While it's a brief steeping stone trailer to a fifth wheel for "most timing", its still unsettling to see the rig you just bought discontinued within 2 months. I hope my future experiences with heartland are better, and longer lived.

PhotoPete

Pete,

Please don't let this decision color your feelings for your unit. I'd say the most important thing is that Heartland remains strong and we'll be here for you for the period, however short, you'll own your Edge product. It's a cool product and my sense is there will be a decent resale market for them.

Jim G,

When you joined the club, did you see/feel any downside to having your floor plan discontinued?

C'mon y'all - happy camping!

Jim

jbeletti

Wonder how much longer Heartland will support this forum? I think Frano is on to something. I suggest that if it goes away we find a place to form a continued Edge RV Users Forum. (Be sure to include "RV" in the search or you will probably land on LOTS of Ford auto sites).

Ron,

The Heartland Owners Forum is not going anywhere and the Edge portion of it will remain in place, just as other brands we no longer make do. The conversation can continue to occur here.

That said, if at anytime, someone wishes to begin their own forum for their brand, I support that notion. The way I look at it is "any" conversation about the product and using the product, be it here on this forum or elsewhere on another forum - is all good!

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our Bighorn 3400RL floor plan was discontinued a while ago and I have no fears about that decision. I'm confident Heartland will be there for any valid warranty issue for all current Edge owners. I guess like most industries, things change and life goes on. Anybody looking for a 6 week old obsolete printer?;)

RonBB

Jim, Would it be possible for you as "Heartland: Director of Owners Interests" to contact the appropriate management folks at Heartland and see what the plans are for continuing to maintain parts & factory support for the Edge line? There appears to be several components that are fairly unique to the Edge line. I'm thinking things like the Euro Windows, the front body of the trailers, & the rear bodies of the trailers. I'm sure there are other such components that will be required due to accidents, etc. Any information such as this can only help to put current Owners minds a little more at ease. Sincerely, Ron

ParkIt

Our Bighorn 3400RL floor plan was discontinued a while ago and I have no fears about that decision. I'm confident Heartland will be there for any valid warranty issue for all current Edge owners. I guess like most industries, things change and life goes on. Anybody looking for a 6 week old obsolete printer?;)

Ray, this is why we ended up with a BC and not a BH - floor plan change. Not sorry we waited as they did some upgrades on the BC since then :)

And I'll trade you a Droid 2.1 for the printer.... lol

GGB

Wow just got back from vacation and loged in and saw this post. The Edge line was in the running for our new TT purchase in the new year but now not sure. This is truly disappointing as we wanted something a little different looking then the rest of the traditional look trailers. In addition to the look, I liked the Edge for its relative light weight as we are towing our current trailer (4130 lbs loaded) with a 2010 Toyota Sienna. Oh our vacation was from Ontario to BC and no issues going through the Rockies if anyone is wondering.

I guess we will be heading out to the RV shows in December and January to see what is what and then decide on what we will be doing. Main factor will be if the Wilderness is as light weight as the Edge or if only the floorplans are transfered over and the weight is not, as is typical of manufacturers her in NA of calling something "light weight" or "ultra light weight" that is a 23-25ft trailer and over 5000 lbs??

Last edited:

shybuck

Bad Idea Heartland. You were competing against Bullet with the weight, design, and quality factors. The double axel and front cap were something no one else had in the smaller sizes m21. The Wilderness has nothing compared, to the edge, just another substitute. i wonder if this has anything to do with Thor purchasing Heartland? Why do away with the Edge unless it had too low a profit margin for Thor..
I was in the market for the M21.....now I'm looking once again...I will not buy a Wildernesss.

M

Mcreech

A couple of the Wilderness floorplans are suspiciously like my North Trail 26LRSS. I wonder if North Trail is next for the chopping block.

North Trail is not on the chopping block, I can assure of that. The North Trail brand is a top 15 brand in the country and top 5 is sveral states. It is not going anywhere...Thanks Mike

RonBB

Mcreech, how about a few words on the continuing availability of parts for us current Edge Owners? It might help put some of us a little more at ease about owning a product that was discontinued by Heartland. It certainly is an issue future Heartland purchasers would be interested in. I raised this issue in post # 25 above two weeks ago as of this writing. No response by anyone at Heartland doesn't seem encouraging. Ron

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
As with all Heartland products there are continual changes and updates to the décor's and options as each model year arrives. The length of time that items will be available for the Edge product, like all our products, will depend on current stocking levels within our warehouse, vendor inventories, and dealer/retail usage.

Proprietary items such as the front and rear caps are owned by Heartland and should always be available. Appliances and fixtures will be subject to availability but a substitute item will always be offered.

RonBB

Thank you. That helps a bit. I was concerned about the front & rear caps as they could be easily damaged in an accident. Ron

GGB

Can someone from the factory confirm if the "new" Wilderness will be 7' 6" in width or will they be an 8' wide trailer in all floorplans. Increasing the width even by 6" increases the weight significantly plus it increases the wind resistance for towing purposes.

Also can someone from the factory confirm if Heartland will continue building trailers for the Discover Canada RV company, which were basically an Edge model with different name and graphics.

Thanks in advance.

Gord

M

Mcreech

The new Wilderness will be 8ft wide....If you are interested in the 7'6" width models, you can look at the Focus under the North Trail brand.. The focus models basically the Edge models just built in the more traditional medthods of TT building..... Also, as for the Discover Canada "Edge" model those are not being built as well.

RonBB

I spent Friday from around noon until Monday morning at a local state park. The park is near an Air Force Base and has about 80 camping sites. The weather was basically pretty good & the park was about 2/3 full. By Sunday at noon I had 4 different folks walk by & say that they liked my "rig" (2010, M18, FBP). I also had an additional 3 groups (2 couples & a single) come over to visit & further checkout the M18. One couple was looking to downsize from a 5th Wheel unit as the kids were grown. One was looking for a light weight unit to pull with a mini Van & move out of tent camping. I'm not sure but I think the single lady that walked up was going to move up from a pop up unit. I guess I'm thinking that it's too bad that Heartland pulled the plug on the Edge line so soon. I really feel that the line was just beginning to be noticed and sales would have picked up more rapidly. Of course I am not knowledgable of the Edge sales figures or financials. But to give up the Edge line to pickup the name of other units from other manufacturer's?

Yellowreef

Yes, mine gets all kinds of attention too when we're out and about. It's rare for smaller trailers to have so many nice features. Then again, that probably cut on the profits and is exactly why its being discontinued. Who knows. All I know is that I am dissapointed and disillusioned with Heartland for having discontinued the line. Oh well, back to making what everyone else makes.

camr

When we are camping we often get two or three fellow campers checking out our Edge M22. They are not common in Canada, and I hear nothing but positive comments when someone sees the unit for the first time. I am not overly concerned about the Edge line being dropped on a personal level. Design changes are a fact of life in the RV world. What does bother me is that Heartland is dropping such a greatly designed unique product and not replacing it with something much better. A previous post in this thread questioned whether this type of decision is as much a result of Thor aquiring Heartland, and having to squeeze every last penny from the newly aquired company to payback loans. This situation can never be positive for us Heartland owners going forward. I also wonder if this penny squeezing situation is resulting in a perceived drop in quality that I am noticing from the massive increase in reports of delaminating, television cable hookup issues, etc. I quite honestly do not remember so many of these reports a year ago.
A year ago, if I were in the market to replace our Edge, I would not have considered any other make but Heartland. However, I will be doing a lot more research when it comes time to go shopping again. This whole Thor thing does not appear to be going in the right direction.

frano

Funny how things happen. Our 2008 Thor/Dutchmen/T@da was discontinued in 2010. It was a very unique trailer which garnered comments/tours every time we used it. We upgraded to the Thor/Heartland/Edge this year for some of the same reasons we liked the T@da and here we are again. Our T@da was sold within 2 weeks of our trading it in and there seems to be a strong following for these type of trailers in the Northeast. Both the T@da and Edge carry a premium price tag and maybe folks see more trailer with less cost with the conventional build trailers. All I know is that I'm glad we spent the extra $$$ for the Edge--it's a great, lightweight trailer that fulfills all our present needs. Sorry the market won't support these unique trailers.

GGB

The new Wilderness will be 8ft wide....If you are interested in the 7'6" width models, you can look at the Focus under the North Trail brand.. The focus models basically the Edge models just built in the more traditional medthods of TT building..... Also, as for the Discover Canada "Edge" model those are not being built as well.

Already saw the Focus line before the Edge and don't like the exterior look. Just like any other trailer PLUS it does not have the floorplan M22 that we like. The Edge was "different" that is why we liked it so much now that is gone we are back to the drawing board of what we are going to buy. One thing that I won't do is buy a bigger vehicle so that I can tow a 25ft trailer. Our minivan is what we need 90% of the time so why buy a bigger vehicle for that 10% of the towing time.

I guess we are back to looking at Gulfstream Visa and Skyline Koala TT and what ever new they may have in February RV show in our area.

If nothing else works out I may buy a 1983 Airstream that belongs to my fathers neigbour in Florida and renovate the interior as it is getting a little tired but the outside is almost like new. Will see I guess.

Thanks all for the friendly welcome and all answers that I have had on this forum I will miss that interaction even though it was brief.

Gord

Zeman

First things first--after quite a bit of research we purchased our M-22--1st TT purchase----SOOOoooooo I have nothing to compare this TT to. But 1st impressions usually leave a lasting impression. The unit is unique and good looking but less than stellar factory quality control, the use of less than stellar major components to put the thing together along with the "local" dealer who knows you as long as you are in their driveway leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I don't want to turn this thread into a b**ch session but top it all off after paying 10K off the grossly overinflated "retail" price I still think I paid too much for this seemingly used car. "My" take on this is the factory will produce the "new" trailers using "more traditional methods of TT building" --i.e.--cheaper --with no price reduction and maybe even a price increase. My last trip this year a couple of friends both had new TT's from the other guy's. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading in size and Heartland probably will not be in the running for that.