No more powdercoat on the frame. What?????

pegmikef

That's the nice thing about living in West Texas and being fair weather (no snow, ice, or salty roads) RVrs.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That's the nice thing about living in West Texas and being fair weather (no snow, ice, or salty roads) RVrs.

I'm guessing ours got covered with salt when it was brought to Colorado from the factory in February of 2015.

Probably in Indiana or Illinois . . .

wdk450

If the OP doesn't think that the frame powdercoat was done, or was poorly done, this sounds like a warranty claim issue.

winterton

Re: Read HL Stop Powder Coating Frames?

Howdy Folks,

I thought I read somewhere that a Landmark owner made a comment and others concurred that on Landmark HL was no longer powder coating the frame? If LM I would think this would also include other HL brands.

Did I dream this or am I mistaken and if not what process has replaced PC?

Cheers!

When we first noticed the rust, Heartland said they no longer Powdercoated the frames. One respondent claimed his was made in February 2017 and his was Powdercoated. Put this to Heartland and they now claim they don't know what Lippert does to the frames. One would think that a treatment that costs a bunch of money would be a large detail to Heartland. Bottom line, we appreciate your suggestions for treatment and will ultimately take care of it without any help from Heartland.
Good luck to all of those trying to get customer service. It no longer resides at Heartland!

danemayer

When we first noticed the rust, Heartland said they no longer Powdercoated the frames. One respondent claimed his was made in February 2017 and his was Powdercoated. Put this to Heartland and they now claim they don't know what Lippert does to the frames. One would think that a treatment that costs a bunch of money would be a large detail to Heartland. Bottom line, we appreciate your suggestions for treatment and will ultimately take care of it without any help from Heartland.
Good luck to all of those trying to get customer service. It no longer resides at Heartland!

Did you read post #7 in this thread? TomM is the Bighorn/Oakmont General Manager. Used to be the Landmark 365 General Manager. He's no doubt more informed than the people you spoke with in Customer Service.

Last edited:

wdk450

Did you read post #5 in this thread? TomM is the Bighorn/Oakmont General Manager. Used to be the Landmark 365 General Manager. He's no doubt more informed than the people you spoke with in Customer Service.

Dan:
Did you mean post #7, referring to TomM's post?

winterton

Re: Bighorn Frames

All our frames come powder coated from LCI. It's designed to protect against rust, cracking and chips. It's a prohibitor not a preventer. We highly recommend you take care of the frame much like you do with the exterior sidewalls. Please make sure to wash with a mild soap as needed, especially after winter trips or trips where road salt might be used.

Hope this helps.

Thx Tom

Sorry tried to respond to your post but an error occurred so I started a new thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer I got back from the factory was that they are not sure what Lippert does to the frames they supply to Heartland. I can not believe that Heartland would not know whether their frames are treated with a coating that costs an extra thousand dollars or more. The same goes for the tires being supplied on the 17s. One finds it hard believe that Heartland switched from Goodyears to a Chinese brand because they are better tires when they are $200.00 to $300.00 different in price.
Thought I would put the frame issue to rest and stopped by the local Heartland dealer yesterday. Looked at 4 Landmarks, 3 Bighorns, 2 Big Countrys and 2 Mobile Suites. All the units with born dates prior to October 31/16 appeared to have been powder coated and showed no rust and had Goodyear tires. The rest with born dates from November 2016 up to February 2017, showed rust. Even the Mobile Suites which covers most of the frame with substructure. Oh, and all had Chinese tires as well.
All that being said, it's off to the hardware store to get a wire brush and some cans of Rustoleum.