Nocold extra fans

carl.swoyer

I have several small fans that I'm going to be installing on the back of the the cooling unit. I understand that there's a few places to ground and get 12 volts.
Has anyone else installed fans?
Where did you get ground and12 volt power? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary521

On the back of the Norcold unit, this is a control box. On the side of this control box, there is a 12v outlet that is labeled. You can use this as the source of the 12v power. It is labeled + and - . I added 2 fans to the top vent blowing out and one fan to the bottom vent blowing up. Add a 1 or 2 amp fuse to the power line depending upon the number of fans that you have and the power used. I also added a thermostat to the top coils that control the fans. When the top coils get to 130, they turn on the fans and when they cool down this turns the fans off. So the fans only run when the fridge is in the cooling process. The thermostat that runs the fans that come with the unit from the factory is also attached to the top coils.

carl.swoyer

On the back of the Norcold unit, this is a control box. On the side of this control box, there is a 12v outlet that is labeled. You can use this as the source of the 12v power. It is labeled + and - . I added 2 fans to the top vent blowing out and one fan to the bottom vent blowing up. Add a 1 or 2 amp fuse to the power line depending upon the number of fans that you have and the power used. I also added a thermostat to the top coils that control the fans. When the top coils get to 130, they turn on the fans and when they cool down this turns the fans off. So the fans only run when the fridge is in the cooling process. The thermostat that runs the fans that come with the unit from the factory is also attached to the top coils.
All three fan are wired in series and controlled by the thermostat?
Thanks again for your input.

wdk450

The fans are usually rated for 12 volts DC, and thus should be wired in parallel to the 12 volt DC source, with thermostatic switching in series in the common supply wiring.

'Lil Guy'

Several of us have added the two fans in the top vent blowing out. you can drop the wires down and tie them into the center two fans that come with the refer, You can look up from the bottom and see the two wires(red and Black) coming down from the fans and see where they tie in. I just used the clip on splice to tie into those wires. They now come on when together when needed.

Gary521

Make sure that the fans are spinning in the correct direction when you wire them up. You can test this with any 12 volt battery before you stick them in the trailer.

carl.swoyer

Several of us have added the two fans in the top vent blowing out. you can drop the wires down and tie them into the center two fans that come with the refer, You can look up from the bottom and see the two wires(red and Black) coming down from the fans and see where they tie in. I just used the clip on splice to tie into those wires. They now come on when together when needed.
Thanks

carl.swoyer

Lil Guy , so you fans come on with the factory fans?

Gary521

There are a couple ways of doing this. The one way suggested will have the fans come on with the factory fans or have a separate thermostat and they come on using that. When I added the three fans, I was not sure if I was overloading anything so I added a separate thermostat and fuse. The thermostats are the same.

carl.swoyer

There are a couple ways of doing this. The one way suggested will have the fans come on with the factory fans or have a separate thermostat and they come on using that. When I added the three fans, I was not sure if I was overloading anything so I added a separate thermostat and fuse. The thermostats are the same.
I'm thinking I'll go with the extra thermostat and have two sets of cooling fans. The thermostat I purchased will come on at 130°

mlpeloquin

I added two thin fans to the inside top exhaust grill. Hot and humid weather of the southern east coast this trip did not bother the frig or freezer. The fridge went from 38F down to 32F. The freezer was between 12F and 6F. With the fans I added inside the fridge, nothing froze inside. I now keep the setting on 3 for cold weather and 4 for hot and humid. Vegas was hot but not humid and the setting of 4 was fine as well. Finally got this figured out. I did play with adding some insulation, but it did not help.