Norcold not very cold

bigdob24

Have a big double door Norcold in the RV and had it running all day and it's 55 degrees inside about 6-8 hours later.
I do have a interior fan hooked up and running as always.
I adjusted the temp to #9 the coldest setting from #7 , I cleaned out the outside compartment and made sure it was clear to the top and the fans were running .
The air is running inside the RV but it is about 90 out and 84 inside.
Never had any trouble getting it to cool down before , maybe not this hot.
Have I missed something ?
No noticeable leaks anywhere, do they need recharging occasionally ?

Garypowell

I think they either run or they don't. Might be superstition on my part but I always start mine on gas.....it just seems to get colder quicker.

dlw930

In hot weather it was sometimes takes our double door Norcold up to 24 hours to get cold before a trip. Once it gets cold it's fine. 6-8 hours in this weather probably isn't long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Here's a link to some troubleshooting methods for RV Refrigerator Cooling units. http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/testing_an_absorbsion_refrigerator_cooling_unit.html

Here is a diagram of a cooling unit so you can identify the boiler and adsorption tubing: RVCoolingUnit2.jpg

Last of all, a recent communication with David at RVCoolingUnitWarehouse.com identified the square finned condenser at the top of the cooling unit as the most critical part of the cooling unit tubing to have proper upward draft airflow across it for proper cooling.

I hope this helps.

bigdob24

I checked the air flow and both blowers are working, all looked good behind the covers.
I blew out the dust and wiped it all down .
Today it is down to 36-40 so all is good.
Just does not seem like it as taken that long before.
Thanks for the advise
Dan

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The big line going into the compressor should be warn to hot and the small line coming out should be cold and wet with condensation not frozen if you have those conditions you will know its working
Not sure if that system works the same way but I think it should

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wdk450

The big line going into the compressor should be warn to hot and the small line coming out should be cold and wet with condensation not frozen if you have those conditions you will know its working
Not sure if that system works the same way but I think it should

Jesstalkin:
I thought we were talking about a (compressor-less) RV ammonia adsorption refrigeration unit, not a compressor-freon residential type refrigerator.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya your correct
I would still think there has to be an exchange in there somewhere
I really have no idea oh how that type of system does what it does.

RoadJunkie

They are only one letter away from No cold? If the sun is beating down on my Dometic it's pretty tough to keep things cold, hence I try to get a spot with shade on refer in the afternoon. I also use the little recirc fan inside the fridge to keep air moving. Really helps to minimize the open-door time when putting stuff in/out. Make sure door seals are tight against mating surfaces. Common issue.

sdoug

We bought a 2016 Big Horn Fifth wheel it has the 18 c. f. norcold rv refrigerator and it runs all day and most of the night and never gets cold enough. I read that it needs to have computer fan or fans install at the top vent to pull the heat out and it would work right,has anyone installed fans in the vent and if so where did the120 volt power come from and where did you install a on and off switch. Thanks. pstines1

jimtoo

Hi pstines1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You might do some looking, but I think all the newer units come with fans already installed. Have you checked your owners manual? Link to Heartland Owners Guides.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

wdk450

We bought a 2016 Big Horn Fifth wheel it has the 18 c. f. norcold rv refrigerator and it runs all day and most of the night and never gets cold enough. I read that it needs to have computer fan or fans install at the top vent to pull the heat out and it would work right,has anyone installed fans in the vent and if so where did the 120 volt power come from and where did you install a on and off switch. Thanks. pstines1

Check out these upgrades at RVCoolingUnit.com : http://rvcoolingunit.com/Cooling-Performance-Enhancing-Items-C320215.aspx?sid=298 I would advise both inside refrig and outside back of cooling unit fans, as well as an air directing baffle. There are many Dometic units on this page so you may want to to talk to David at 901-337-9948 for advice.

The fans are all 12 volt DC. There is 12 volt DC to the light inside the refrig you can tap into for the inside fans, which run continuously. The outside rear fans also run on 12 volts DC, and have their own thermal switch to turn them on when needed. The refrigerator requires 12 volts DC all the time for its logic board (which runs both AC and propane operation) to run. You tap into this 12 volts DC supply for the add-on fans.