North trail heating

shevy

I’m a deer hunter and plan to boondock my 33buds during the deer season and wondering how long will the battery work to help keep the rv warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing? I have portable generators but when I’m not there, curious how long the furnace can run off battery?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are wanting to run the furnace during cold weather I suspect your battery will last about one night and one day. Maybe.

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We lost all power to a park where we were in the winter for 24 hours. We were able to run the heater all night and about noon the next day I plugged the trailer into the truck and charged it for an hour or so. It continued to run for another 5-6 hours when the power came back on. I never checked the battery level with a meter but the only thing running was the furnace.

danemayer

If your plan is to leave the trailer at the boon docking site for days at a time, you'll probably return to a dead battery and or empty propane tanks.

shevy

If your plan is to leave the trailer at the boon docking site for days at a time, you'll probably return to a dead battery and or empty propane tanks.

thanks. I've got two 20 gallon propane tanks so I think that should last longer than the battery

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Running your furnace off one battery for even one day, most likely, it will run down to the point where your furnace will shutdown due to low voltage long before you run out of propane. The group 24 battery that was originally going to be supplied with my 32 buds has a capacity of roughly 1000 watts if 100% used but more realistically closer to 500 watts available for running a furnace. The LP detector would run the until the battery is nearly dead.

The furnace uses around 30-35000 BTUs of propane and around 130 watts of power(12v) per hour.

Dependent on temperatures, I have a 2016 32 Buds and have solar to charge my batteries and can monitor total power consumption.
I usually run 100% of my 12v off solar and batteries and have the convertor turned off most of the time. I have led lights for most interior lights and also use 120v for supplemental electric heat in addition to my furnace so your mileage may vary. I have run the furnace without shore power and supplemental heat. I usually can make one night but the batteries are drawn down by about 20-25% of their capacity if it is very cold out at all.

So here are some of my observations.

1. Powered down parasitic loads require around 100 watts per day (12v power). Parasite loads are anything that uses 12v even when supposedly in off position.
LPG detector is mostly the culprit in my case.

2. Refrigerator on propane and 12v. Nothing else but parasitic loads. 350-400 watts per day (12v power). Not connected to shore power.

3. Living in the weekend. Cold weather lows15-30 highs 32-45, 120v shore power connected. Electric heat is on and furnace running on battery/solar/Propane
1-20lb tank of propane used over 3.5 days. Furnace runs frequently but electric heat (1500w heater) is supplementing use around 1100 watts per day of 12v power.

I have 3 group 31 batteries in a parallel array along with solar charging the batteries. I can go about 3 cloudy/raining days before my battery array is run down.
I have about 4000 watts of battery capacity across 3 batteries.

shevy

Running your furnace off one battery for even one day, most likely, it will run down to the point where your furnace will shutdown due to low voltage long before you run out of propane. The group 24 battery that was originally going to be supplied with my 32 buds has a capacity of roughly 1000 watts if 100% used but more realistically closer to 500 watts available for running a furnace. The LP detector would run the until the battery is nearly dead.

The furnace uses around 30-35000 BTUs of propane and around 130 watts of power(12v) per hour.

Dependent on temperatures, I have a 2016 32 Buds and have solar to charge my batteries and can monitor total power consumption.
I usually run 100% of my 12v off solar and batteries and have the convertor turned off most of the time. I have led lights for most interior lights and also use 120v for supplemental electric heat in addition to my furnace so your mileage may vary. I have run the furnace without shore power and supplemental heat. I usually can make one night but the batteries are drawn down by about 20-25% of their capacity if it is very cold out at all.

So here are some of my observations.

1. Powered down parasitic loads require around 100 watts per day (12v power). Parasite loads are anything that uses 12v even when supposedly in off position.
LPG detector is mostly the culprit in my case.

2. Refrigerator on propane and 12v. Nothing else but parasitic loads. 350-400 watts per day (12v power). Not connected to shore power.

3. Living in the weekend. Cold weather lows15-30 highs 32-45, 120v shore power connected. Electric heat is on and furnace running on battery/solar/Propane
1-20lb tank of propane used over 3.5 days. Furnace runs frequently but electric heat (1500w heater) is supplementing use around 1100 watts per day of 12v power.

I have 3 group 31 batteries in a parallel array along with solar charging the batteries. I can go about 3 cloudy/raining days before my battery array is run down.
I have about 4000 watts of battery capacity across 3 batteries.

this was so helpful. So, just so I read this correctly, you upgraded to group 31 batteries and added two additional batteries? I have the 2017 33 buds that has the solar panel hookup at the front but have no idea what kind of panel to buy and where. suggestions?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I think the solar connector you have is for a portable panel. So I am not sure what to recommend. It may be a Go-Power or Zamp type portable setup.

I have a 9 panel solar array installed on the roof of my NT. They are thin film fixed panels that work very well for the purpose. At some point, I will add an inverter and be able to power everything but the Air Conditioners from this system.

attachment.php

Yes, I upgraded the battery to a 12V Group 31 battery and added two additional group 31 batteries.
I modified a commercially-made container that fit 3 group 31 batteries fit my NT perfectly. You would have thought that the box was made for batteries considering how well they fit. I added a plywood insert with battery straps and screwed the entire box down to a board mounted for this purpose in the battery area.

http://www.homzproducts.com/product/durabilt-15-gallon-tough-tote-2/
4415CMOG-06-600x600.jpg

This is what my three batteries look like in my box.

Batteriesinbox.jpg

Last edited:

cjb2283

I went hunting for 11 days last fall in my 2018 28DBSS. 2x30# propane tanks, each lasted 96 hours (4 days)almost on the dot. Kept the thermostatat 65-70* with outside temps at 10-45*. Water heater left on at all times whether it was propane or electricwhen generator was on. Fridge on propanethe whole time. Showered every othernight but usually coincided with the generator to save batteries. During the night I would charge my phonethrough the cigarette lighter plug and usually left some light on. Some cooking inside but also had a grilloutside. 2x6volt group 31 batterieswired in series would last about 2 days without charging before I got worriedand fired the generator up. Neverallowed them to go dead. Hope this helps.