North trail hitch jack failure

Sakool

I was turning the hitch jack crank on my brand new NT BRS28. Cranking it up to hook up the pickup and WDH. As I was raising it up to hook the WDH bars on, the jack fail and just dropped down. Now I can't raise it up to unhook it from the pick up.

Anything I can do to reset the jack (so I can get it iff the pick up) or do I need a new jack? Good thing I hadn't paid for the camping site yet.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Do you have a Bottle Jack you could use or even the bottle jack for you Tow Vehicle.

Sakool

I was able to get it off. Had to make a quick tip to the store for a heavier jack and stands. Now need to figure out what to do with the camper jack. We were all pack, just needed to hitch up and go. My Fathers Day gift (power lift jack) may come this weekend.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
1st thing to do after your camping trip in to call HL and your dealer. HL might send a new jack to you. If you do install a power jack...make sure you install a 30amp circuit breaker inline on the 12V side.

pegmikef

If you do install a power jack...make sure you install a 30amp circuit breaker inline on the 12V side.

My Barker VIP 3500 came with the inline breaker (or fuse) so maybe yours will too. All I had to do was mount the jack and hook it up to the battery.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mine did too, but I don't like fuses. A circuit breaker will reset if you overload the jack and a fuse wont.

pegmikef

Yeah, I guess I never thought of that. I automatically go out and buy a box of spares whenever I get something that is fused so I'm ok. It is a good idea to use the circuit breaker route though, because you won't have to deal with a bunch of spare fuses (and I have a lot).

Sakool

We were able to go on our new 28BRS maiden voyage after all. Trip to local Farm and Ranch Supply store Sat AM and a early Fathers Day gift, a powered jack. I just did a quick hook up to save the weekend but will look at the circuit breaker idea this week. Once we got to the camp site it went well even on a cold and very windy weekend. Wife is very happy with the new camper. After a pop up we were amazed how quickly we could be set up and tear down. Kept thinking we forgot something.

irvin56

we've had my jack on since new(4th season) and never had a problem with blowing a fuse. I keep a spare in trailer, but unless you have a bad jack or trying to lift your complete truck off the ground, you should be okay. I have the 3500 model and can lift trailer and truck easy to hook up bars.