North Trail King 26LRSS Caliber Edition

frano

We are in the beginning stages of shopping for a relatively lightweight travel trailer and like the floor plan on the referenced North Trail. We haven't seen one yet and probably won't do anything until the PA show next September. However, we're interested in any comments that current North Trail owners have especially with issues that had to be corrected after delivery. We're also curious about the chairs/couch/dinette comfort and fabric quality.

RuralPastor

We have owned the Caliber 265rls since the spring of 2011. Since that time we have pulled the trailer 15,000 mlles, spent around 160 nights, and are now living in it for another two-month stint (yes, in the winter). We love it and have never regretted purchasing it once. The bearings in our axles spun out at about 12000 miles and we opted to replace the axle assemblies. The foam on the couch seems to be degenerating, but we plan to replace it soon. We have a table with 4 chairs that have worked out perfect. We have made some modifications (quite a list) that have increased our comfort level.
Hopefully this will help you.

berky

We have a 2012 26LRSS that we bought in March. Can't hold a candle to RuralPastor's travels, a record sure to stand for quite some time. Nevertheless we have had next to no problems in the first year. The only one worth noting is some cosmetic wrinkles on the front cap.

If we had it to do over again, I doubt we would find a model more satisfying. The 26LRSS is solidly built. There's ample storage space. And its absolutely spacious with the 12' slide and all of the windows. You really need to see one first hand to appreciate this. Even our hyperactive yellow lab gives it her seal of approval.

The 26LRSS Caliber is by definition a lightweight. But so you're not too surprised, mine was delivered with a dry weight of 6300+ lbs. On the road it's around 7000#. More than I expected, but my Silverado 1/2 ton hasn't complained.

We too are looking foreward to seeing the 26RLSS which in route to a dealer near us. Would like to hear from anyone with info on this
unit. I wonder how comfortable this unit is in COLD weather. I will be using it in Ind. sometimes in winter. We never used a TT in cold climate. The MH worked OK. Only froze the outside showers twice.

RuralPastor

We're spending the next two months in ours in north central Illinois. This morning it's a crispy 28 degrees and we're warm and toasty inside. I removed our leaky outside shower, insulated the hose, and will skirt in a few weeks. Not a big deal at all.

Last edited:

frano

Our local dealer has received a new 26LRSS Caliber Edition and we have an appointment early next week to check it out. We also attended an RV show today and got to view some non-Heartland products but have not seen anything yet that we would trade our Edge for. We're really looking forward to seeing the North Trail.

pegmikef

We have had our 26LRSS since Dec 2010 and like Ruralpastor have put a little over 15k miles on it just pulling it around TX, NM, AZ and CO and have loved every mile with it (except for tire problems). Ironically, I traded in an Edge M21 for it and even though it is not a whole lot bigger, with the super slide and free standing table and chairs, it seems immense inside. One thing I would point out though is that the ceiling is lower than the Edge (e.g., cabinets go all the way to the ceiling so there is no subdued lighting). The ducted air is much quieter than the A/C in the Edge (my main complaint, besides size and light, was the noisy A/C unit). It is a lot brighter inside because of all the windows, and the Caliber Edition has a pull out cargo rack capable of carry bicycles or 200 pounds of anything else. I use it for my Honda generators, and miscellaneous camping stuff (charcoal, lantern, lights, etc.). Go for it, you will love it.

frano

We have had our 26LRSS since Dec 2010 and like Ruralpastor have put a little over 15k miles on it just pulling it around TX, NM, AZ and CO and have loved every mile with it (except for tire problems). Ironically, I traded in an Edge M21 for it and even though it is not a whole lot bigger, with the super slide and free standing table and chairs, it seems immense inside. One thing I would point out though is that the ceiling is lower than the Edge (e.g., cabinets go all the way to the ceiling so there is no subdued lighting). The ducted air is much quieter than the A/C in the Edge (my main complaint, besides size and light, was the noisy A/C unit). It is a lot brighter inside because of all the windows, and the Caliber Edition has a pull out cargo rack capable of carry bicycles or 200 pounds of anything else. I use it for my Honda generators, and miscellaneous camping stuff (charcoal, lantern, lights, etc.). Go for it, you will love it.

Thanks for your response. Your comments about the Edge are spot on. One question though--how about the windows? We love the European window design in the Edge, especially the awning type opening during the rain and the lack of blinds, etc. Are the Caliber windows awning style and how do you folks like the window screens, opening , and window treatments compared to the Edge?

pegmikef

Thanks for your response. Your comments about the Edge are spot on. One question though--how about the windows? We love the European window design in the Edge, especially the awning type opening during the rain and the lack of blinds, etc. Are the Caliber windows awning style and how do you folks like the window screens, opening , and window treatments compared to the Edge?

Ours is a 2011, so there may be changes, but the windows were a small disappointment after having had those in the Edge. The windows are the slider type windows instead of the awning type (except the bedroom which is also the emergency exit window). The windows open by sliding one pane up or down or left and right dependent on the window. The shades are the standard accordion style blinds found in most RVs, not the type in the Edge. In fact of all the RVs I have looked at, the Edge is the only one I have seen with that particular style. The upside is the NT has larger and more windows which makes the interior much brighter than the Edge during daylight hours. The kitchen window has miniblinds.

bktlstrs

Does your 26LRSS have a window in the bedroom door. If so, is it covered or do you have a blind or curtain over it? Can a curtain or shade be mounted on the door? If so, how?

Last edited:

pegmikef

Does your 26LRSS have a window in the bedroom door. If so, is it covered or do you have a blind or curtain over it? Can a curtain or shade be mounted on the door? If so, how?

My wife made a small lined curtain using some kind of black out material for the lining. I permanently mounted it on a flat curtain rod on the top and just used velcro strips on the lower corners to keep it tight. Here's a couple of pix.

Attachments

• 100_3419.jpg
    100_3419.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_3420.jpg
    100_3420.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

bktlstrs

What a great idea! You are so kind to share this. We are new owners, just picking up our 2012 26RLSS last Saturday and can't wait to get on the road. Thanks again.

jimtoo

What a great idea! You are so kind to share this. We are new owners, just picking up our 2012 26RLSS last Saturday and can't wait to get on the road. Thanks again.

Hi bktlstrs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed, as you have just found out.

If you need help with anything, just ask, the Heartland family is here for you.

Please think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and joining us at rallies where you will meet the best people, make friends for a life time and also eat some of the best food at the pot luck dinners.

Enjoy the forum and hope you make lots of great memories with your new North Trail.

Jim M