Now a Good Time to Buy?

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi Everyone -- we have been thinking about a Heartland 5th wheel for a while but decided to wait until Spring 2010 to take the plunge because we had missed our warm season to really enjoy it.

However, there are few good deals on lots now. I don't know if dealers will be as eager to make such large reductions from MSRP next year once their current inventory is gone, especially with Heartland reporting growth for the year and the perception of a recovering economy -- these are the things that make my head hurt :confused:

Thoughts on buying now vs waiting for Spring?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Whatever deal you make is a good deal if you get the unit you want, with the options you want at a price you can live with. Stock goes down, prices on new model years go up, and the perfect unit may not be at a dealer you can work with. Of course, you could order to get what you want which is what we did, and we got lucky to get a good deal.

Whatever you decide to do, welcome and we hope you enjoy your coach whenever you decide to get it.

Kristy

lwmcguir

I think you may see the opposite regarding the overall economy. Materials are going to jump in cost dramatically and therefor the cost of new coaches. You will probably get the best value for your money in the next few months than for many years down the road. You might be OK by spring but I really doubt if you will be able to buy the same value by next fall. Take a good look at what is going on in the commodities and it will show you what is to come. My opinion anyway.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi lwmcguir -- that might also be a good stock tip :) I do agree that we are unlikely to see such low prices in the RV industry for long. Heartland though has been changing the game some by offering good quality and features for a lower price when compared to competitors.

lwmcguir

Hey rmchad, Certainly why we bought the Augusta. Best value for the money out there in our opinon. ( Heartland in general, not just the Landmark series ) Don't wait to late to jump in.

kkamshop

About this time last year, we happened upon an internet (eBay) listing that was amazingly reasonable for our Augusta - you may be able to find a dealer who just wants to move a unit or two for cash flow and come out with a winner!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
At the end of the year many dealers try to reduce their inventory for tax purposes.

boatdoc

We have always bought our RVs in the dead of winter. We try to keep an eye out for what we're wanting and then on the wetest, nastiest, windblown day we go talk turkey. We don't even go look at the unit that day, just straight to the sales office and make the offer. Our 3670BH was bought on 12-22-07 and we almost needed a boat get to the sales office.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
rmchad,
Just some thoughts here. Do you have a trade in? If not then you would be suprised at how good a deal you can get from a wholesaler on a "newest" model year unit. I say this because if it were me, I would want all the cool updates that were available for the new model year(2011). Price may be a bit higher but you won't have that "wish I'd waited so I could of had that" really cool "something". I do agree though, that dealers will probably want to dump those older models left on their lots. My suggestion is to get some current price quotes from some wholesalers like RVs4less or RV Capital Wholesalers or RVWholesalers and get a good feel for where to start. With these quotes you can see what it should cost to get exactly what you want and if you find a deal on a lot somewhere then you should feel pretty good about the price.

On the other hand, if you have a trade then this is where you will find some differences with pricing so good luck. Even so, doing what I spelled out above will still be a great help.

Good luck and keep us informed of what you find,
Mark

brunsje

We have always bought our RVs in the dead of winter. We try to keep an eye out for what we're wanting and then on the wetest, nastiest, windblown day we go talk turkey. We don't even go look at the unit that day, just straight to the sales office and make the offer. Our 3670BH was bought on 12-22-07 and we almost needed a boat get to the sales office.

I sold cars part-time when I was fresh out of college. The Sales Manager always said that the person who came in on the nastiest days WOULD be a buyer! He was usually correct, I made a few sales on cold, wet, crappy days. Cars vs RV might be a bit different, the person looking for a car really needed one and HAD to be out on a day everyone else stayed home! They didn't always get the best deal!

imchud

We purchased our B/H last September and got a great deal... Until I threw in the dreaded 2 year old trade in that i took a bath on:rolleyes: but i knew it going in... However IMHO, I would STRONGLY SUGGEST getting a "fair" deal at a Great Dealership. Because when it comes time to get some work done on your Rig, you dont want some dealer that just wants to make a sale and have you move on. You want a dealer who's interested in making a fair deal and values you as a customer. My Dealer just want to move the Rigs and he didn't really want to see you back with problems, after several years of that kind of practice he is now out of business. Good luck on you quest. By the way, I was traveling back from Chicago today and drove past the Heartland plant where they had the entire lot FILLED, and i mean to the top with fifth wheels:D, it was good to see...

Tom of Ypsi

I have been waiting for some one to say this but I have not seen it. IMHO if buying a Heartland product ANY TIME is a good time to buy. Great company, great forum members and once you are an owner you can join the GREAT HEARTLAND OWNERS CLUB.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi Tom & Linda -- thanks for the good advice. The dealer I am working with is not local but reputable. The local dealers were not willing to work on price with me very much and the price difference is substantial. I have heard the same story from others regarding the local dealers. Hopefully service will not be a problem where ever we are at the time -- Heartland has a great reputation and many people have evidence for how well they stand behind the product. This and quality were the key factors in choosing Heartland.

imchud

Hi Tom & Linda -- thanks for the good advice. The dealer I am working with is not local but reputable. The local dealers were not willing to work on price with me very much and the price difference is substantial. I have heard the same story from others regarding the local dealers. Hopefully service will not be a problem where ever we are at the time -- Heartland has a great reputation and many people have evidence for how well they stand behind the product. This and quality were the key factors in choosing Heartland.

Rmchad
Good luck in your choice & you are correct Heartland has a great reputation. My Rig is currently in the shop with a slide leak, it has been out of warrenty for 4 months and Heartland is still backing it up by covering all the repairs.... Great company.

Tommy

Natesi

We purchased our B/H last September and got a great deal... Until I threw in the dreaded 2 year old trade in that i took a bath on:rolleyes: but i knew it going in... However IMHO, I would STRONGLY SUGGEST getting a "fair" deal at a Great Dealership. Because when it comes time to get some work done on your Rig, you dont want some dealer that just wants to make a sale and have you move on. You want a dealer who's interested in making a fair deal and values you as a customer. My Dealer just want to move the Rigs and he didn't really want to see you back with problems, after several years of that kind of practice he is now out of business. Good luck on you quest. By the way, I was traveling back from Chicago today and drove past the Heartland plant where they had the entire lot FILLED, and i mean to the top with fifth wheels:D, it was good to see...

I'm a total noob looking at full timing in a Big Horn. How do I find out if my local dealer just wants my money, or if they will take care of me, BEFORE I buy?

Right now they want about $20,000 more (and that is their "sale price") than what I've seen new Big Horns going for on the web. I'm sure I can talk them down when I'm ready to buy, and I don't have to get the ROCK BOTTOM price around if I'm gong to get great service afterward... but how much over "rock bottom" (what the big discounters sell for) should I be willing to pay my local dealer, if it will get me better service and support after the sale? $5K?? I don't know... just throwing a number out there.

BTW, my local dealer is Curtis Trailers, of Beaverton/Portland, Oregon.

Thanks,

-Nathan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Natesi, it seems that pricing is all over the board. Some dealers deal others will not. I pretty much did what you did. Checked internet pricing and found my best deal. Then I tried to figure out what it was worth to buy local. How much time and fuel to go get it, how much of a hastle to get warranty work done and how much time and effort the local dealer spent showing me arround. I felt that was worth two grand. So I went to negotiate a deal using my internet pricing and added the two thou. When the negotiations were done, he was one dollar above where I wanted to be. I signed the contract. And a a bonus, he installed a Curt Q-5 hitch, no charge. I don't know if I could have done better elsewhere, but I was satisfied with the deal. Again, not all dealers will deal, but if you do your homework you might be suprised what they will do. Another thing is that if you are looking to be full time a local dealer wont be much use to you if you are on the road.
Good luck, and let us know what rig you wind up getting.

Peace
Dave