Off Door Slide Room

davebennington

I have had a problem with my off door slide breaking the teeth off the gear pack. The Lippert solution was to cut washers into a horseshoe shape and insert them under the Teflon pads the push the rack beam down I did this (see picture #1) and it did help for a while. Now the slide is starting to jump teeth and I am afraid it will strip a gear pack again. I have managed to bend the arch down to make it flat again where it belongs, however it stills jumps a tooth on the gear pack making the slide go out crooked.

The only solution I can think to do now is to make a couple of straps and fasten them so the rack beam is forced down on the gear pack all of the time. ( picture #2).

If anyone has an idea/suggestion let me know.

dave
0813161752 copy.jpg0814160911 copy.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dave I seen a new fix from Lippert Dan had posted on another thread
I did get time to read it yet but I thought of you when I seen it.
I think it was changing the entire gear assembly.
I'll try to find it again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Dave,

I'm assuming the drive side gear is the problem. I would think a bind in the mechanism might be the underlying cause. So maybe lube everything, check rollers, check overall slide alignment.

gschaaf

Dave I will be following this thread closely for the answer. I have countless hours working on my my wifeuncle 2010 cedar creek with the same problem. I have tried every adjustment and had it apart so many times I can do it in my sleep. I would think lippert would have solved the problem by now. I did replace his broken spur gear beings his was the 14.5 pa gear instead of replacing the whole pack gear itself. Sure hope someone comes up with the answer. Travel safe See ya down the road!!

BusManRG

These threads fascinate me. So....since this is a Lippert problem, do they still charge you for these replacement packs? You can stop laughing now 😉

davebennington

I read the Tl-187 and from what I understand you have to replace the gear packs as well as the arms. And all this is on your nickle????? You have to be putting me on, this is NOT acceptable.

dave

danemayer

Dave,

In my experience, it's always a good idea to separate out the issues. First get settled on what it takes to eliminate the gear jumping. Getting the benefit of Lippert expertise would be helpful at this point, although it might be good to have a three way discussion with Heartland helping get Lippert focused.

While I haven't seen indications here that this problem is widespread, there have been several other Heartland owners reporting similar problems. And obviously if Lippert's released a TI document, they've seen more. Lippert should be motivated to get to the bottom of it.

After there's agreement on what it takes to fix the problem, then you can have a discussion about how much and who pays.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I was just under my rig looking at the options to get the gears higher in the spline.
It would be an easier fix to move the 2 welded side plates up an 1/8" or so.
Unbolt grind off old welds and move them up then reweld up higher.
Of course this would be if you are out of warranty and Lippert is not helping you.

b96df706444e95d203d0a6390f0d72f0.jpg

e1cc1e54dde34de2fefc27681acdb533.jpg

815f995ac3659261fe91c4306544d377.jpg

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Dave, if you find a fix, please let me know. My door side slide is dong the same. I talked to Lippert and they have "Never heard of it happening" before. I have had to replace both gear packs at $80 each and it is currently sitting in the driveway with the slide 4"out of square. Will realign again tomorrow morning so I can put the slide it. It seems to normally jump while extending, not retracting.
Phil

davebennington

Phil,
I had a RV tech come out to the campground and look at the slide problem. He tried to adjust the slide and could not get it to the point that it worked without jumping time. I have been working with Lippert and Heartland service folks, Lippert sent new tubes out and Heartland sent new gear sets. The RV tech cannot come back because of a health issue so we will pull the coach to RVs for Less today so they can work on it Monday. Butch believes he can fix the problem.
Lippert and Heartland have been helpful in resolving the issue.
Just a observation after talking with JimB and Jarrod, they both say their slide goes straight out and does not drop down or settle at the very last movement out.
We will see.

dave

Bones

Phil,
I had a RV tech come out to the campground and look at the slide problem. He tried to adjust the slide and could not get it to the point that it worked without jumping time. I have been working with Lippert and Heartland service folks, Lippert sent new tubes out and Heartland sent new gear sets. The RV tech cannot come back because of a health issue so we will pull the coach to RVs for Less today so they can work on it Monday. Butch believes he can fix the problem.
Lippert and Heartland have been helpful in resolving the issue.
Just a observation after talking with JimB and Jarrod, they both say their slide goes straight out and does not drop down or settle at the very last movement out.
We will see.

dave

That must be a feature of the landmarks. Mine drops into the grove at the last moment. I am late to the game but I would disconnect the arm's and move them in and out and watch them. I would also pull out the one arm you took a picture of. I am not positive but I didn't see a nylon or teflon pad at the top of the arm and that could be just enough to jump. Another idea and probably would require removal of the arm is to make sure it is straight and the gear track is not bent.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Bones we're talking about our kitchen slide it goes straight out and straight in like the bedroom slide does. The curb side slide drops down at the last minute to give you the flush floor.

Bones

Bones we're talking about our kitchen slide it goes straight out and straight in like the bedroom slide does. The curb side slide drops down at the last minute to give you the flush floor.

Ahh Thanks. Mine does the same thing then.

davebennington

We had to make the trip to Lippert in Goshen, IN to get the slide repaired. I have attached some pictures I wiil try to explain each one.
Here are the pictures that I promised.

The first thing they did was take the arch out of the slide tube using a big "C" clamp, then they welded a piece of 1/4 inch stock that is 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 square on the top of the tube, this prevents the tube from arching again when he slide is extended.

It was found that the slid was out of adjustment, it was adjusted by aligning the paint stripes and then fine tuning it further. All new gear packs had to be installed also.
Lippert did a great job fixing the slide problem.

slide-1.jpgPlacine the metal stock in place. slide-2.jpg slide-3.jpg slide-4.jpg slide-5.jpg slide-6.jpgslide-7.jpg

slide-8.jpg
This is how far the slide was out of alignment.

dave

Attachments

• 0915161011.jpg
    0915161011.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 41

davebennington

I forgot to mention that if your slide is dropping at the end of travel when it is going out, you may have a problem. You need to check if it is riding on rollers, if it is on rollers it is designed to go straight out and no drop. Now the door side slide does NOT ride on rollers it has a pan and is suppose to drop at the end of travel on the way out. I hope this clears up questions some folks have.

dave