Oil hubs.

Has any one seen oil bath hubs for trailers (3185 RL bigghorn). Boat trailers have had for a while, semi trailers for at least 40 years, seems greese bearings are old school.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have entertained that thought, but decided against it. I have disc brakes and I am actually set up for it.
You would never be able to do it with the drum brakes. The bearing chamber will not seal up good enough.
Greased bearings may be old school, but it still works well. And especially with the synthetic lubricants.
These are just my opinions.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

I figure that grease will outlast oil any day.

But speed limited, and on our hubs its not a factor. And grease is not old school, its much messier for modern mechanics.

Oil will indicate if water or dirt present much faster then grease, specialy with a sightglass, but grease will hold better with water.

I have replaced oil with grease in failing HD bearings and they lasted till machine overhauls.

lwmcguir

We have oil hubs on all the axles 10K and up. The reason they aren't widely used on smaller trailers is the down time. Oil hubs need to be rotated more frequently to avoid rusting/pitting of the bearings. Oil is much better for high mileage and heavy loading.

I have a lot of experience with big rigs and the set up they use with oil, sight glass and a double nut to set the bearing is waaaaaaay better than greese. Like I said some boat trailers now have it why not RVs

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We have oil hubs on all the axles 10K and up. The reason they aren't widely used on smaller trailers is the down time. Oil hubs need to be rotated more frequently to avoid rusting/pitting of the bearings. Oil is much better for high mileage and heavy loading.

I agree, our 5ers sit too long at one time. I have oil bath on my dual tandem flat bed and I have to move it around periodically to keep the bearings lubed. It's one of them trailers that I don't use a lot around here, but, when I need it, I need it. I'll use it sometimes even though that trailer is overkill just to lube her up. So it is JMHO, drawn from my experience and usage, is that unless you have the wheels rolling regularly then they are a extra maintenance load that you don't need.

porthole

Retired
Is there any real proof that not using a trailer with oil hubs will cause the bearings to "rust or pit"

If the hub is sealed with oil only and not water and oil how are they going to rust? even if it sits all winter, there will still be a slight film of oil on the surface.

My hubs are set for oil also, and I bought an extra set of caps. This year when I do the bearings I may try one axle with oil to see how it works over time.
I'm sure there is a reason big rigs use oil.

lwmcguir

Oil lubes better than grease without the heat build up so that is why large hubs are oil only. Time was the factor used back in the day when many campers sat for years in one spot. I think if you move the hubs once per year they will stay lubed. Most of the heavy duty oils now have rust preventers and sometimes metals added. And of course the extreme pressure additives. If I had a choice for 7K and up I would go with oil except for the boat trailers.

caissiel

In my travel from Florida to NB I checked a brand new truck trailer and to my surprise it had the hubs filled with grease and a rubber cap at the end that looked like it was covering a grease nipple like the easy grease hubs on mine. A tag on the hub showed greased with mobilith synthetic.

Checked a second new unit with SHC TAG on it and it looked like the previous new hub. A tag on the trailer said service at 400k miles. Now that was hard to believe.

I am now at a rest area in Maine and going out to check more trailers.
Saw a few greased ones with labled NO OIL ONLY GREASE. And easy to see the oiled ones the hubs are mostly dirty and wet with oil with the filler plugs on the cap. While the greased ones look much newer.
We always used grease onour service trailers in the mill yard and they were always about 140% load on them. Could not make the operators understand the proper load capacity of the trailer. On trailer we took the 3rd axle off and they kept loading it over the pickets.
PS we also used super singles in place of the original dualy truck setup because the duals were constantly flat.
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TimDyck

Is there any real proof that not using a trailer with oil hubs will cause the bearings to "rust or pit"

If the hub is sealed with oil only and not water and oil how are they going to rust? even if it sits all winter, there will still be a slight film of oil on the surface.

My hubs are set for oil also, and I bought an extra set of caps. This year when I do the bearings I may try one axle with oil to see how it works over time.
I'm sure there is a reason big rigs use oil.

The big rigs are on the road all the time and seldom do they sit still for more than a day (it aint makin money if it aint movein). The also are a lot heavier and have considerably bigger bearings. I'll stick to grease in any axel under 14k lbs. since it is cheaper, it works and it has less maintenance over time.

CrazyCooter

I'm making the swap the next time I tear down.

Since I'm an Amsoil guy, they make a really good marine gear oil they resists corrosion and protects with up to 10% water content. This is what I have been putting in the boat trailers with wet bearings for years.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I know why we don't use them. I got a reminder a couple days ago. Pulled my duel tandem equipment trailer about 150 miles and when I got home I had blew a hub. Oil was slung everywhere.