On board gas tank expansion??

IronJ

For those of you with gennys/on board gas, I have a question...

Do your tanks pop/bang/expand with the temp??..

This is first trip I have traveled with my aux tank empty and last night it got cold (30s) and I heard a loud metallic bang (like a trash can lid slamming)...

So in the middle of the night I go investigate and see nothing....

This morning I go out again and after standing there staring at my camper for 10 min debating what could POSSIBLY make that sound, I loosen the gas cap on the aux tank....there was lots of hissing and then bang....same sound..

I put cap back on and as the sun came out and it warmed up it did it again....bang ...

It DOES have a vent tube but I can't verify if it's working? ?.

Has any one else noticed this?..it does not do it with fuel in there....and has never done it before that I can remember??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

OEFVET

Yours may not be venting properly. No banging on mine. Try adding some fuel and check the vent.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you absolutely certain that the noise is coming from the fuel tank?
Many people get popping from the hydraulic levelers with temperature change. Could that noise be radiating to sound at the fuel tank?

Peace
Dave

hoefler

My 75 Gal Aux tank will do it with big temperature swings and sometimes will when I transfer 30 gallons of fuel

HornedToad

I had to take my trailer back under warranty to have the vent tube checked out because I could not fill up without manually holding the nozzle at a bare trickle. Supposedly the vent tube was kinked and the tanks are easier to fill now but I can only use the lowest setting on the nozzle and sometimes still have to pump manually.

I have never heard my tanks "pop" even with the known vent tube issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

It's not the landing gear. ..it has done it every morning around the same time as the temp comes out of freezing. ..I'm not that worried about it anymore. ..it's a big black empty 30gallon metal tank...

I don't think it's the vent as it fills just fine with gas from the pump on full blast. .

I'm taking it in for some other warranty stuff when I get back...I make a note to the guys for future reference/issues

I think it's just the tank expanding from the 29-72 temp gain in the morning....well see

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk