Onan 5500 in Cyclone is throwing Error Code 58 (Exhaust Gas Temperature Shutdown)

Ladiver

The other carb was not brand new. It was my old one that had issues. I bought a new one (current) before attempting to clean/rebuild the old one. After cleaning and rebuilding, we did test and made sure it worked. I thought I completely cleaned it and dried it out prior to storage. I must have missed something.

porthole

Retired
I'm surprised the solenoid rap didn't work, you video is exactly the symptoms of the solenoid sticking. You can thank the EPA for your troubles and the lack of rebuild kits and sealed jets.
Maybe give the rap another try ?

Any chance you carb is set for an altitude other then where you are?

Ladiver

The solenoid seems to move easily. I disassembled it an was able to verify it is not stuck. I have altitude set for sea level. Which is probably within 500 feet.

6.7LMegaCab

Hey all!

I'm having the same issue, code 58. I was able to get a hold of the service manual and started at the worst case problem which is the magneto (ignition coils). Disconnecting P1 and with an ohm lead on chassis ground, measure resistance at P1-4 and P1-5 (coil 1 and 2). There should be some resistance. There was zero resistance measured on both coils on my unit, indicating an open.

Background, the kids and I took off Friday evening for a weekend trip in the mountains out here. I ran the generator before we left with zero issues. Got to our location, fired the gen up ran both AC units to cool the coach down. The kids wanted some toast so I went to make them some; within seconds, we lost A/C power to everything. The generator was still running. All circuit breakers inside were fine. Went out to the generator and the upper 30A switch was flipped. Reset it and everything was back to normal (didn't make any toast after that happened). I let the coach cool down for a couple hours, turned the AC off, let the gen cool down, and shut it off for the night. I went to fire it up the next morning and it wouldn't stay running for maybe 3 minutes before shutting down and setting a Code 58. After multiple attempts, we packed up and left since the batteries weren't going to last to keep the fridge running (fridge began saying low DC).

While attempting to keep it running I noticed light smoke coming from the back of the generator with an electrical smell. The unit still starts, but will only run for no more than 2-3 minutes.

This morning I started troubleshooting and started with the magneto as stated above. I'm pretty confident although find it odd that both magnetos went bad. The unit has around 170 hours on it.

I jumped on the forum to see if there is a way to access the back of the unit without removing the whole generator when I saw this post.

OP: did you resolve your code 58? If so, what was your fix?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

I removed the generator and took it to Rocky Mountain Supply in Alamogordo. One magneto was bad. They installed a new Cummins Onan magneto and two new spark plugs. They said it ran really good, has excellent compression, and handled a load just fine after that. My OCD really wants to replace the other one. I'll be pretty furious if I have to remove it again lol. It only has around 180 hours on it.

Will be trying to figure out how to install it back into the RV in the morning. It was a pain to get out and will be even more of a pain to get back in.

carl.swoyer

I removed the generator and took it to Rocky Mountain Supply in Alamogordo. One magneto was bad. They installed a new Cummins Onan magneto and two new spark plugs. They said it ran really good, has excellent compression, and handled a load just fine after that. My OCD really wants to replace the other one. I'll be pretty furious if I have to remove it again lol. It only has around 180 hours on it.

Will be trying to figure out how to install it back into the RV in the morning. It was a pain to get out and will be even more of a pain to get back in.

Use a large scissor jack with a sheet of 3/4 plywood. Over lap the plywood into the opening of the generator bay and slide it in.
I think that you could rent a jack from home Depot tool rental.
When I did this I secured the plywood to the jack which allows me to slide it in without the wood moving.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

6.7LMegaCab

That's an excellent idea! I'll look into doing that.

When removing it, I cribbed it up with 2x4s and 4x4s and a floor jack along with leg power to stabilize it while I pushed it up and turned it with my son pulling it into the truck. The generator side is way heavy!

Back to sippin' on my morning brew as I plan this out in my head.

carl.swoyer

That's an excellent idea! I'll look into doing that.

When removing it, I cribbed it up with 2x4s and 4x4s and a floor jack along with leg power to stabilize it while I pushed it up and turned it with my son pulling it into the truck. The generator side is way heavy!

Back to sippin' on my morning brew as I plan this out in my head.

Have the plywood slightly narrower than the genset so you can access the bottom of the Gen from underneath. This will allow you to use Jack's from the bottom to manipulate the mounts into place

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

Didn't have any plywood handy. Used some lumber and leg lifting power to get into place (legs are practically numb now lol). It's been running with the AC on for about 40 minutes or so.

Hopefully no more issues that require removal. Need this to stay working through the couple of weeks of hunting I have planned with my son next month.