Orange County, CA to Pahrump, NV?

Ladiver

I am headed to Pahrump, NV on Thanksgiving day and will be there for the weekend. Has anyone taken 127/178/372 from Baker to Pahrump? Is there anything to watch out for on that road? I will be taking the Cyclone 3100 with all of the animals!

If noboby knows about 127/17/372, then what about 160 from Vegas to Pahrump? Just looking at the maps, it would appear using the cutoff at Baker would be an easier drive.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, yes that is the way to go. Good 2 lane road but not too many services. The only issue is a heavy rain...lots of standing water on the roads. Yes it is shorter that going to Vegas and you do not have to deal with all the traffic on the I 15.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I agree with Bob, it's the best way to go. Just make sure to fuel up ahead of time. If it has rained watch for standing water on the highway.

P.S........missed you guys at the last rally.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jeff,
My in-laws lived in Pahrump for 20 years. I have made this drive dozens of times. Just did it both ways a month ago. Very rarely will flash flooding will cause slight delays. There are no services between Baker and Shoshone.

The drive through Vegas via 160 is much farther and not necessary.

Do not plan to buy diesel in Baker, as it is literally highway robbery at 4.19 a gallon. Trace

Ladiver

Thanks everyone. I was just starting to map out my trip. I should have no problem making it to Pahrump on a tank of fuel, but I never like to push it. I will fill up in Barstow, if prices are fair or carry a 5 gallon fuel can (just in case). Almost all of our driving has been in civilization, I will probably enjoy being out in the middle of nowhere...as long as no problems arise!

I also assume cell signal is non existent on that route. Poor Sonja will have to live without internet for a few hours. Good thing I have a ham radio. I will program repeaters in the area for emergency purposes.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks everyone. I was just starting to map out my trip. I should have no problem making it to Pahrump on a tank of fuel, but I never like to push it. I will fill up in Barstow, if prices are fair or carry a 5 gallon fuel can (just in case). Almost all of our driving has been in civilization, I will probably enjoy being out in the middle of nowhere...as long as no problems arise!

I also assume cell signal is non existent on that route. Poor Sonja will have to live without internet for a few hours. Good thing I have a ham radio. I will program repeaters in the area for emergency purposes.

Cell service is almost non existent between Baker and Pahrump. There are actually still a few call boxes left on this road for that reason. I usually top off in Barstow if I need diesel. I love wide-open spaces and weather should be great out there right now. Trace

Ladiver

Trace, the weather will be "brisk"!

DAY HIGH/LOW COND PRECIP WIND HUMIDITY
WED Nov 25 49° 32° scattered showers Showers 40% WSW 13 mph 41%
THU Nov 26 45° 28° sunny Sunny 10% NW 8 mph 44%
FRI Nov 27 46° 26° partly cloudy PCloudy 0% NNW 9 mph 36%
SAT Nov 28 48° 26° scattered showers Showers 40% NNW 7 mph 36%
SUN Nov 29 49° 29° rain snow AM Rain/Snow Showers 40% N 8 mph 39%

I guess I should start worrying more about pulling a trailer in the snow than the 2 lane road into Pahrump! I heard 1-3" Sat night. Hopefully sun makes it our Sunday or there is enough rain to melt away the snow. I will wait for the weather to warm up before leaving. Two lane road, ice/snow and 15,000 trailer never make for a good combination!

Other than that, looks like Friday and Saturday (during the day) should be OK. We are going to Spring Mountain Raceway and taking a 2 day Corvette driving school. Should be fun. I hope the cars are equipped with butt heaters!