Ouch shocked by Electric Water Heater Switch in WH

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
We turned on the electric switch in the Water Heater, then turn on the switch inside in the control panel. Ran it for about 15 minutes and no hot water. Went outside and release some water from the pressure valve, touched the electric switch and was slightly shocked.

We thing shut the power inside and pull out the switch and check continuity and it switch off and on okay on the ohm meter. Plugged it back in and it started to heat the water, now the switch at the water heater is now dry and touch it and no shock.

That was at home before we left for our Maiden Voyage. Now we are at Jackson Rancheria, Same thing happen, including pulling pressure valve, got the electric wet, got shocked, pull switch dry it out and put back in, turn everything back on it has worked fine for now.

Any ideas why it is not working, other than my guess, the water from the pressure switch is shorting switch??? But that does not explain why it did not work the when we first turned it on. HELP....before my hair, what's left of it get more curly :)

JASMAR

T

Last edited:

jbeletti

Hi Tom,

I suggest you shut off the AC power to the water heater for now and heat on propane. Better safe than sorry.

I'd suspect an issue with the AC heating element in the water heater. There are 1 wires that connect to it from the outside of the water heater. They are behind a black plastic cap. I'm wondering if you are getting that area wet when you pull the relief valve - thereby shorting the circuit??

When you say that you are taking the switch out and drying it, are you talking about that small black plastic rocker switch in the bottom left corner of the water heater?

Have fun at Jackson Rancheria!

Jim

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Yes, I am taking out the Black Rocket Switch and drying it, I will have the dealer look at it when we get back.

D

Dave Willis

I've sent this over to the service department to see if they can help.

Thanks,

Willym

I have to wonder if the heater is properly grounded for you to be shocked like that. My only other thought is that the switch is working intermittently. Once you exercise it, it is OK for a while.
I also would not mess with the Relief Valve anymore than you have to. You can adequately vent the hot water tank through one of the taps, and avoid getting a pile of water on the heater components. Repeated RV operation also increase the chance that you'll get some crud in the valve and that it will then leak.

Boca_Shuffles

Please keep us posted on the solution. I had (have) the same problem on my BH3055RL. I got shocked touching the outside rocker switch. This was also displayable on a voltmeter. This only occurred when wet. In my case the kids were taking long showers with the water hitting the side wall. The water heater is located under the shower on a 3055RL. Caulked the shower to stop the leak.

The problem could not be shown at the dealer without the shower leak.

I read in one of the owners manuals that it is normal for the pressure relief value to release pressure due to water expansion during heating. If your had initially filled your tank with all cold water, this could explain the valve releasing pressure. Later your tank would have some hot water in it, do the temperature change would be less drastic and the valve may not have to open as often.

I will have to check this problem myself this summer.

caissiel

There is a camper at my home town that has a ground/circuit problem. When one of his circuit for plugs including the groundfault circuit is on the metal on the trailer has an AC charge. Its not strong but enought to give a shock. We looked at every plug on the circuit and in no way could we isolate the problem other then to disconect the circuit.

My feeling is that there is a staple that has been driven through a wire on the circuit somewhere and its real close to the power wire and causing a weak circuit when AC is in the line, or a wet spot conducting electricity. I told him to have it fixed asap and not use it due to possible cause of fire.

lwmcguir

We had this happen with our Yellowstone a few years ago. Found the problem by turning off all the breakers and turning them on one by one while watching the millivolt reading from the frame to the neutral. It was a bad GFI but not bad enough to trip. Prior to testing the neutral wire lug was loose as well. Your case may be a bit different as we found our problem when I got shocked when repacking wheel bearings while plugged into shore power.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
There was a bad chassis ground, the ground was secured. I now just do not play with the outside switch when the inside switch is in the on position. Getting smarter, I do not touch the outside switch when it is wet and the inside switch is on:)

If figure outside switch is not waterproof and when wet, it is going to conduct a little current to my finger.