Our 3010 Modifications

Sniper

It's not often I get excited about getting stuff but I was pleasantly surprised for a delivery of tomorrow. Now I will sit with anticipation from 10 to 6 waiting for my pin box.
That's great news. It comes with good directions for the install, although the torque specs were hard to figure (gave 3 different values for the same bolt). I used their directions, and it took me about 3 hours to do by myself from the time the truck pulled up out front.

Sniper

New wheels and tires installed. First test in 1 week! Hopefully these will be everything we hope they are. :)

GEDC1430.jpg

GEDC1432.jpg

Sniper

Replaced our mattress with this Dynasty mattress we purchased off Amazon. It's a 10" Cool Breeze, Gel-Memory Foam, Queen RV. It came with 2 gel pillows as well. It took about 3 days for it to fully expand. The initial "chemical smell" that many complained about in the reviews, though present, was very faint, at least in our case, and totally dissipated by the time the mattress fully expanded. We used it for 3 nights this past Memorial weekend, and it was fantastic! No more night sweats for the Commander, and I never woke her getting into, and out of bed. :)

GEDC1433.jpg

Last edited:

Bones

Replaced our mattress with this Dynasty mattress we purchased off Amazon. It's a 10" Cool Breeze, Gel-Memory Foam, Queen RV. It came with 2 gel pillows as well. It took about 3 days for it to fully expand. The initial "chemical smell" that many complained about in the reviews, though present, was very faint, at least in our case, and totally dissipated by the time the mattress fully expanded. We used it for 3 nights this past Memorial weekend, and it was fantastic! No more night sweets for the Commander, and I never woke her getting into, and out of bed. :)

View attachment 45458

looks good I like our memory foam but the DW made me put a gel topper on it so now she likes it better.

Sniper

looks good I like our memory foam but the DW made me put a gel topper on it so now she likes it better.
I was just wanting to go with a topper, Big Lots had 3" Serta Gels for 150 bucks, but the Commander wanted this, sooo...You know the rest of the story. LOL

Bones

I was just wanting to go with a topper, Big Lots had 3" Serta Gels for 150 bucks, but the Commander wanted this, sooo...You know the rest of the story. LOL
I do. and it is the serta topper we have. it is heavy too

Sarge

So, Have you figured out how you're going to install the heavy pin box? I tell you what, I'll make you a deal. I'll come down and help you install your pin box and you come up and help me tear my airbags out.

Just saw this - We have similar trucks and I'm picking up a 3611JS next weekend. Whats the issue with the factory air bags?

Thanx, Sarge

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just saw this - We have similar trucks and I'm picking up a 3611JS next weekend. Whats the issue with the factory air bags?

Thanx, Sarge
Nothing wrong with factory airbags. I was tearing the old ones out before I traded the truck. Did not order the factory air system as it is a closed system with no other applications. The Aitlift bolted right back up to the new truck. Hoping to add compressor and tank to run other things.

What truck do you have?

Sarge

Nothing wrong with factory airbags. I was tearing the old ones out before I traded the truck. Did not order the factory air system as it is a closed system with no other applications. The Aitlift bolted right back up to the new truck. Hoping to add compressor and tank to run other things.

What truck do you have?

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cummins/Aisin -

I considered upgrading the air system also for access to an on board compressor...

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cummins/Aisin -

I considered upgrading the air system also for access to an on board compressor...

From what I was told, the factory system is a closed nitrogen system with no access to the compressor. That being said, if I hadn't had the AirLift bags sitting on the workbench, I would have ordered the factory system. A friend and Heartland owner has a RAM and loves the factory system. Always at ride height, no matter if he's empty or a big Gateway in tow.

Bones

From what I was told, the factory system is a closed nitrogen system with no access to the compressor. That being said, if I hadn't had the AirLift bags sitting on the workbench, I would have ordered the factory system. A friend and Heartland owner has a RAM and loves the factory system. Always at ride height, no matter if he's empty or a big Gateway in tow.
Agreed. Very happy with the system and it is a closed system so you can not tap into it. I don't have to worry a out what I load in the bed because the truck k will return to ride height.

Sniper

Not a big modification, but while I was cleaning the roof this morning I notice the A/C cover screws were rusted and nasty looking, so i replaced them all with stainless steel screws and washers. #10 x 3/4 pan head phillips, and #10 flat washers.

before: GEDC1637.jpg

after: GEDC1638.jpg

I know, I know this may seem kinda petty, but after working on that roof, and cleaning all those covers for almost two hours sweatin' my old arse off, those rusty old screws stuck out like a sore thumb, and were getting on my last nerve. LOL :)

Bones

Not a big modification, but while I was cleaning the roof this morning I notice the A/C cover screws were rusted and nasty looking, so i replaced them all with stainless steel screws and washers. #10 x 3/4 pan head phillips, and #10 flat washers.

before: View attachment 46953

after: View attachment 46954

I know, I know this may seem kinda petty, but after working on that roof, and cleaning all those covers for almost two hours sweatin' my old arse off, those rusty old screws stuck out like a sore thumb, and were getting on my last nerve. LOL :)
Looks good to me. Now time to paint the covers. he he. :rolleyes:

Sniper

As you can see in the first picture the happy jack bed blocks the auto vent, and the a/c vent in the garage area, which we use as living space when we set up and the motorcycles are out. We never use that as a bed. So the plan is to thrash the mattress, cut the platform down to 36 inches, thus unblocking the vents. I will then store the tables there, and have enough room left over for a couple of storage bins.
GEDC1662.jpg

Once the table storage is removed from the wall, I'm going to install a fold down table for the Commander to work from. I'd kind of like to put a window in there for her too, but the thought of cutting a hole in the side wall for a window terrifies me. LOL

GEDC1661.jpg

I'll post pics along the way once I start the project. Wish me luck! :)

Bones

As you can see in the first picture the happy jack bed blocks the auto vent, and the a/c vent in the garage area, which we use as living space when we set up and the motorcycles are out. We never use that as a bed. So the plan is to thrash the mattress, cut the platform down to 36 inches, thus unblocking the vents. I will then store the tables there, and have enough room left over for a couple of storage bins.
View attachment 48029

Once the table storage is removed from the wall, I'm going to install a fold down table for the Commander to work from. I'd kind of like to put a window in there for her too, but the thought of cutting a hole in the side wall for a window terrifies me. LOL

View attachment 48030

I'll post pics along the way once I start the project. Wish me luck! :)
Luck

porthole

Retired
View attachment 48029

Been like that since the model came out.

Remove that vent, cover it up from the inside, cut a new vent in between the wall and the bunks.

Sniper

Great job, but that vent is almost directly over where the Commander sits at the dinner table. It blows pretty good tho. Also but, not as big a deal, is the auto vent is still blocked. Now if we used that bunk, moving the a/c vent is probably what I'd do.

Just so you know, I'll probably be pilfering your auto level control modification. Ours is really unhandy where they have it mounted. :cool: