Our turn – China bombs!

mlburst1

We experienced the China bomb explosion today on I-95 south in North Carolina. Having read all of the problems with the TowMax tires on this forum and others, I have no excuse for not replacing them long ago.

The right front trailer tire exploded – no warning via TPMS – took out the leading edge of the fender skirt, the fender strut and bent up some of the lower metal fender. Amazingly, it didn’t take out the gas line for the refrigerator which was just in front of the tire.

This happened just before the Micro exit (exit 102) and we limped up the ramp and turned left, crossed over I-95 and pulled into RC’s Auto & Truck Repairs.

RC took one look at the tire and offered a colorful opinion of the China bombs. He ran his hand on the outside of the other three tires and found another one with a broken belt that hadn’t failed yet – once removed from the trailer, the deformity was obvious.

After discussing our options, we had him pickup 5 Maxxis ST235-80/R16 tires.

Mounted, balanced and out the door in two hours for $969.00 – good folks who didn’t take advantage of our situation.

Made it safely to Myrtle Beach – will call Heartland in the morning and order the parts needed to put the fender back together.

Vinny773

Hello, we had the same experience on I40. It totally sucked. Left front tire blew and caused over $5,000 damage to the LS. Still waiting for damage to be fixed in San Diego. Spending 2 weeks plus in hotels. I can't wait to get back into the 5er. Heartland needs to take some accountability because this is happening why to frequently with these Tow Max tires.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We experienced the China bomb explosion today on I-95 south in North Carolina. Having read all of the problems with the TowMax tires on this forum and others, I have no excuse for not replacing them long ago.

The right front trailer tire exploded – no warning via TPMS – took out the leading edge of the fender skirt, the fender strut and bent up some of the lower metal fender. Amazingly, it didn’t take out the gas line for the refrigerator which was just in front of the tire.

This happened just before the Micro exit (exit 102) and we limped up the ramp and turned left, crossed over I-95 and pulled into RC’s Auto & Truck Repairs.

RC took one look at the tire and offered a colorful opinion of the China bombs. He ran his hand on the outside of the other three tires and found another one with a broken belt that hadn’t failed yet – once removed from the trailer, the deformity was obvious.

After discussing our options, we had him pickup 5 Maxxis ST235-80/R16 tires.

Mounted, balanced and out the door in two hours for $969.00 – good folks who didn’t take advantage of our situation.

Made it safely to Myrtle Beach – will call Heartland in the morning and order the parts needed to put the fender back together.

Glad nothing really bad happened Mike! Have fun in Myrtle Beach; one of our favorite spots. And also, THANKS a million for the wood blocks!

RoadJunkie

Why should Heartland feel a sense of responsibility for blown tires? They have no control in how tires are treated once they leave the factory. I talked to a fellow in our campground just two days ago that lost two Goodyear G14s within 400 miles of each other. He happened to be using SOB 5'er, but should he blame that manufacture for blowing his G14s? If you buy and RV and don't feel comfortable with the tires supplied, negotiate to have them changed, or simply change them yourself. The camper in my example above was still loyal to the G14 tires and awaiting delivery of a replacement while in the campground. It makes me wonder if there really is a "reliable" tire out there for these increasingly heavy rigs.

jpdoggett

There probably are tires out there that well take the load but they will not be put on by ant manufactures cause of the price. it you want them you will have to but them yourself or have them put on when you buy the rig

TeJay

We are currently going through issues like this on our rig but slightly different. Our current rig was totaled, last week by a dump truck in a Pilot service area, (See thread "Accident.") We upgraded the tires before we went on our first trip. I also upgraded the wheel bearing because if their QC on their wheel bearings is anything like on their tires I didn't want to take any chances. Two questions are still unanswered by the insurance company. I believe they will reimburse us for the cost of the upgraded tires and the bearings but will they help with the labor on the bearings? Why won't the manufacturers offer an upgrade on the tires? They know that the China tires are suspect. Yes I know their are several variables that may lead others to believe that the tires are fine but they are either overloaded or not properly inflated. That may be the case but i still believe that an upgrade could be offered so those of us who happen to think that the china tires are not as good as some other don't have to pay twice for a better tire.

TeJay

danemayer

Why won't the manufacturers offer an upgrade on the tires?
It seems to me I've posts in the past about Bighorn tire upgrades on new orders. Might be one of those unpublished options.

A possible complication is that changing from E rated to G rated tires may also require a wheel upgrade. 80# vs 110# on the tires.

RoadJunkie

Before I bought my rig I questioned Heartland about the base-price tires and their reliability; my rig came with G rated "Freestone" tires. Heartland stood behind these tires indicating they have not experienced failures on these tires, unlike earlier generations of foreign import tires. I asked if they they would be willing to upgraded the tires and they offered to do so, but the cost was essentially that of buying new tires independently. Now, mine was bought off the lot and I suspect if you spec your favorite tires, at the time of a build to order, that they would oblige your request. By the way, Heartland's argument on the reliability of the Freestone tires was convincing enough that I did not replace them. That was two and a half years, and 15K miles ago, with no signs of problems. I wish I could tell you that I have not worried about having a blowout, but I can't. I'm not sure any tire, regardless of manufacture, would remove that background worry. So, I just watch the load in the rig, monitor pressure, examine the tires relentlessly, run wireless pressure monitors, and keep road speed within spec of the tire. I will probably replace any tire I buy every three years.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It seems to me I've posts in the past about Bighorn tire upgrades on new orders. Might be one of those unpublished options.

A possible complication is that changing from E rated to G rated tires may also require a wheel upgrade. 80# vs 110# on the tires.

Dan, the Big Horn we looked at in Gillette at the Rally already had Goodyear G614s on it. (Along with a lot of other bells and whistles, and half-body paint). It appeared the dealer requested this particular BigHorn with every possible upgrade.

HL could easily include these tires in their "forced option" package and consumers would see it as a necessity, rather than an option, and be willing to pay for it.

donr827

When I ordered my Bighorn I ordered the G614 tires, 7,000 pound axles, and the heavy duty brake pads. Although my rig is not that heavy I like the extra safety margin.
Don

wino2

DITTO, what is a China Bomb so does that mean everything in our homes and everything else we own is a China Bomb

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not really. I think the term 'China Bomb' was coined years ago. It refers to the tires that were made in China exploding and causing damage.
I don't think the clothes we all wear will explode. It only refers to the tires.

Peace
Dave