Over capacity with 3500 srw

B

BouseBill

Doubleranch, figuring diesel at 7.3#s per gal x 55 gal tank your fuel weight would be 401.5 pounds.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
The Sundance XLT is so far away from my legal limit another 51 lbs and it just gets more disappointing.. So until a NEW RAM is in the picture, I will stay with the North Trail...it is a great unit an okay for the two dogs and myself. Next truck will be the 3500 srw and there will be no issues with the max payload.

caissiel

I have been towing my 3500RL for 6 years with my F250.
The truck works well and which I could day the same for my unit.
Its a piece of C.... and I am going home to rebuild the face of my 3 driver side slides that are rotting like the rear section did.
The truck for me is the least of my problems and it's 10 years old and 6.0L diesel.

oldfitter

TW finally agrees that we need to upgrade to a 3500 DRW RAM from a SRW to pull our Landmark Newport. Now I just have to find one. This late in the year I am almost thinking of waiting for the 2016 models and order a new one as latter year models aren't that much lower in price. When I find a 2014 they want $50000+ for it and that's not much less than a new one.

avvidclif

Actually July/Aub=g is the best time. The new ones are due out soon and the current ones are being discounted. I don't know about Ram but the Ford website will let you list what you are looking for including year and it will search dealers and factory inventory for a match. Being as you are looking for a deal you might not find everything you wanted but you can get close. I bought my 2009 in Jul 2010 when the 11's were due out. Very good deal.

Bohemian

Actually July/Aub=g is the best time. The new ones are due out soon and the current ones are being discounted. I don't know about Ram but the Ford website will let you list what you are looking for including year and it will search dealers and factory inventory for a match. Being as you are looking for a deal you might not find everything you wanted but you can get close. I bought my 2009 in Jul 2010 when the 11's were due out. Very good deal.

Yes, late in the year and early the next model year are the bet times to get great discounts and rebates. It is also the tome when DRWs are in real short supply. Slim pickins.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD in August of 2014, so was one of the first to have a 2015.

Kinda wished I'd waited a couple of months as I would have gotten the electric side/tow mirrors, which apparently were not available at the time.

Although I did get a CD player, which the newer ones supposedly don't have.

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg

Anyway . . . pickins were slim in August . . . I was really looking for a 2014 2500HD, but all they had were 1500's . . . which I felt was not enough truck for me!

However . . . it doesn't really matter when we buy something big . . . always seems that it goes on sale or comes with better this or that a month after we buy anywayz . . . !

OEFVET

Buying from the lot of available trucks is just like buying a trailer from the RV dealers lot. I ordered my truck and still got all the rebates and incentives. It only took 5 weeks to get delivered. Just something to consider

danemayer

When we bought our RAM, the one we wanted was 200 miles away. The local dealer traded vehicles with the distant dealer. The net effect was to reduce the local dealer inventory by one unit. So if they're making deals to clear inventory, it shouldn't make any difference if the one you want is at another dealer.

AAdams

We bought our '14 in Jan '15. We went to the local dealer, he traded with a dealer 600 miles away, picked it up the following week.

jnbhobe

I ordered mine the way I wanted it at Thanksgiving, it was delivered in Jan. The dealer was begging me for my 11 as it was in storage but I let them wait since there was no more $$$$$ in it for me. I put the new one away till the snow was gone.

aRAYwego

When we bought our RAM, the one we wanted was 200 miles away. The local dealer traded vehicles with the distant dealer. The net effect was to reduce the local dealer inventory by one unit. So if they're making deals to clear inventory, it shouldn't make any difference if the one you want is at another dealer.

Our dealer did the same for us Dan. Both our Jeep and Ram DRW were traded for with an Arizona dealer. Dealerships make deals with other dealerships all the time.

tomsws6

At least with that amount of pin weight you have a couple of model yrs to choose from.. Now that Iv know my pin weight(35-3800) Iv gotta go for a new truck and more $$.. just dont wanna spend the 50-60k for it..

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Buying from the lot of available trucks is just like buying a trailer from the RV dealers lot. I ordered my truck and still got all the rebates and incentives. It only took 5 weeks to get delivered. Just something to consider

I like to buy off of the lot . . . that way I get to see it before I buy it.

We bought our trailer off of the lot as well.

Kbvols

We just brought home a new Landmark Newport and I think I am way over capacity with a 2012- 3500 SRW Ram. Dealer says your fine but I don't think so. 18000 GVW is dually capacity to my thinking after towing it home in a stiff headwind. How do I tell the other half we need a Max tow 3500 DRW Ram. No interest in other brands whatsoever.

Never ask DW for permission.....only forgiveness! Much easier.

OEFVET

I'm not at all implying that you can't or shouldn't road test and conduct an inspection. I road tested three trucks before buying. I have a truck with the exact options and color I wanted.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We just brought home a new Landmark Newport and I think I am way over capacity with a 2012- 3500 SRW Ram. Dealer says your fine but I don't think so. 18000 GVW is dually capacity to my thinking after towing it home in a stiff headwind. How do I tell the other half we need a Max tow 3500 DRW Ram. No interest in other brands whatsoever.

I simply let Amy drive. After about 15 minutes, when she stopped shaking and dryer her eyes she asked..... So, what color is your new truck going to be?

B

BouseBill

It's really nice to have a brand new truck to tow that brand new Landmark, I just priced a new Ram 3500 DRW with the AISIN trans. on the build a truck web page. $61k plus taxes, licensing and all the other additional.....I'm sure through a dealer you might get some off.
When we were looking for a new tow rig, we spent a few hours on the web looking for "used" vehicles which may fit the bill, we were lucky and found the 2008 F-450 with only 25,000 miles on it. At a savings of over 30 THOUSAND $$$$$$$$$$ compared to a new vehicle, plus yearly licensing is a lot less than a new vehicle would be.
It might be to your advantage to spend a few hours on the web and see what is available within a reasonable distance that would fit the new Landmark...maybe save a few bucks also. Unless you have one of those money trees growing in the back yard.;);)
My last two trucks were Ram trucks, but I couldn't pass up on the F-450;)

oldfitter

I finally found what I want at Woodhouse in Blair NE. A 2015 3500 DRW with Aisin tranny 3.73 gears air ride rear suspension, This setup is rated for towing 23500 pounds I think that should do it, better to have more capacity than needed than not enough. It is a Laramie Longhorn with all the bells and wistels more than I needed but what the heck its only money and you cant take it with you.