Overheated Goat

JanAndBill

So it's 5:30 in GA and it's a warm 98 degrees outside with a humidity level just about the same. Both a/c units running , bubble wrap foil insulation in the big windows, and 76 is still low as it will go. Anyone else having trouble staying cool?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here in Colorful Colorado at around 6000 feet above sea level we are floating at around 22% humidity and 90 degrees . . . and everyone is whining!

I'm from Michigan so I know about 100% humidity.

rxbristol

Under those conditions, 76 degrees is great. I have the afternoon sun hitting the full left side and ours goes to 80 degrees for a couple of hours in the late afternoon--it doesn't help that our RV is brown. I've measured that brown paint at 146 degrees when the sun is shining on it. I can tell when the sun gets low on the horizon because it rapidly starts to get cooler inside.

JanAndBill

Weird update, storm/front just came through. It was 98 outside at 5:30 took 2 hrs for the front to fully pass. Current temperature 74 degrees. 24 degree drop in 2 hrs
Not complaining!!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Under those conditions, 76 degrees is great. I have the afternoon sun hitting the full left side and ours goes to 80 degrees for a couple of hours in the late afternoon--it doesn't help that our RV is brown. I've measured that brown paint at 146 degrees when the sun is shining on it. I can tell when the sun gets low on the horizon because it rapidly starts to get cooler inside.

I agree, we have the same issue. From about 3:30-6:00, when its 98-102, 79*-80* is the best we can get in central (west) Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsuds

If you read the info on the A/C units it will tell you what they can handle. Mine claims a maximum of a 20 degree drop.
So if it's 96 you will only get to 76.

IronJ

That's pretty good for 98 and humid!!..we have to run all 3 (45k btu of cooling!!!) To stay cool if it's over 95 out and we wanna stay 73 or less inside ...78 is bout good as it gets with 2 units going (30k btu total)....and even then the bedroom is gonna be warmer...shade is you friend...if you aint got none u better have the btu's to play ball with mother nature...lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Rhyph

That's pretty good for 98 and humid!!..we have to run all 3 (45k btu of cooling!!!) To stay cool if it's over 95 out and we wanna stay 73 or less inside ...78 is bout good as it gets with 2 units going (30k btu total)....and even then the bedroom is gonna be warmer...shade is you friend...if you aint got none u better have the btu's to play ball with mother nature...lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

How did you manage to get all three of your A/Cs running? While we were in Florida, we were really wishing we had that figured out. I've seen others mention some wiring changes needed, was mostly wondering where should I start to make that happen.

avvidclif

If you read the info on the A/C units it will tell you what they can handle. Mine claims a maximum of a 20 degree drop.

That's a 20 deg drop from inlet to outlet temp, not outside temp.

I get to check out what mine will do as this weekend as the is forecast for the first 100 deg days of the year and my campsite doesn't have any shade. With all 3 running I'm just hoping for 80 with 8 grandkids fanning the door.

wdk450

Since the AC is supposed to recirculate inside air (and NOT introduce outside air) I think the generic 20 degrees cooling figure should be applied to the return air temperature. Unfortunately the whole thermal balance package also includes heat gains through the roof and wall insulation, so the trailers get hot in extreme heat. I have seen RV spaces for the staff at Corps of Engineers facilities that have a shelter roof over the RV space to help keep them cooler.

JanAndBill

We let a dealer talk us into one on the yard rather than ordering with the Yeti package. I've regretted that since day 1. Thermal windows would help some. The biggest heat loss/gain seems to be radiated from the walls. They're like those sleeping bags rated to keep you warm down to 20 degrees. You don't find out until to late that you will freeze your buns off at 19.999999999999 degrees!

danemayer

My take is that the most significant factor is sun shining on windows. Outside temp is second. Intense sun on our large doorside windows creates quite a heat load even when the outside temp is only 75.

Lou_and_Bette

Whiiiiiiiiine, it is 115 here in Phoenix, and yes, it is a "dry" heat but still blistering hot! and we would be happy to see an inside temp below 80 which only happens around 3:00AM. There isn't a tree or a blade of grass within 200 yards of the rig. We have to carry poor little Milo to the doggie park because there is only pavement and hard packed smoking hot dirt between the rig and the potty area. So, y'all "bask" in your sub-80 degree inside temps...leaving here Monday for the cool climes of northern Arizona. P.S. we have ridden the motorcycle every day and waiting for the traffic lights to change is gruesome.

danemayer

Whiiiiiiiiine, it is 115 here in Phoenix, and yes, it is a "dry" heat but still blistering hot! and we would be happy to see an inside temp below 80 which only happens around 3:00AM. There isn't a tree or a blade of grass within 200 yards of the rig. We have to carry poor little Milo to the doggie park because there is only pavement and hard packed smoking hot dirt between the rig and the potty area. So, y'all "bask" in your sub-80 degree inside temps...leaving here Monday for the cool climes of northern Arizona. P.S. we have ridden the motorcycle every day and waiting for the traffic lights to change is gruesome.
You must not have gotten the memo. Phoenix is a winter destination!

BusManRG

Our BH is still on order. We were talked out of the dual pane Windows and now I'm second guessing that decision. Hubby keeps reminding me that we stayed comfortable in our class c and we only had 1 13k carrier ac and this unit has 2 15k. Shoot. How many of you have dual pane Windows and do they make a big difference?????

Sandy

JanAndBill

At least Milo's, isn't that big at 70# our poor baby would have to walk REAL FAST!

- - - Updated - - -

Our BH is still on order. We were talked out of the dual pane Windows and now I'm second guessing that decision. Hubby keeps reminding me that we stayed comfortable in our class c and we only had 1 13k carrier ac and this unit has 2 15k. Shoot. How many of you have dual pane Windows and do they make a big difference?????

Sandy

I can't tell you how well they work (we got talked out of them) but I can tell you we will not have another without them!

AAdams

Sandy

Sandy,
We have dual pane windows on EVERY rig we have had... we ordered all 3 rigs and added them every time. They help a little with the heat/cold, but also help with sound, which to us is important.

Now the first 2 rigs had the dual pane with gas between the panes and were framed. They helped more than the ones on the BH we have now. The type that we have now are the frame-less type and are just a double think glass but looks better than the type with a frame.