Overheated Goat

Power-Stroke

How did you manage to get all three of your A/Cs running? While we were in Florida, we were really wishing we had that figured out. I've seen others mention some wiring changes needed, was mostly wondering where should I start to make that happen.

@Rhyph....

There are a couple of ways to accomplish this.
I chose to run a 30 amp transfer switch to the middle a/c that is connected to a 30 amp plug (mounted next to the 50 amp plug on the side of camper). When I'm camping, I plug a 30 amp cord into the 30 amp service (in addition to the 50 amp cord), this energizes the transfer switch, which in turn energizes the middle a/c. The front and rear a/c run off the 50 amp service. All three run together in this configuration. When I'm disconnected from 30 amp or running off generator, the A/Cs work like they normally do via the selector toggle switch.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jay

Last edited:

donr827

JMO it seems that trailers are coming with more square feet of glass. Looks nice but makes cooling-heating tougher. The RV manufactures need to look into how much windows buyers really want and look at improving insulation in roofs and walls
Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
JMO it seems that trailers are coming with more square feet of glass. Looks nice but makes cooling-heating tougher. The RV manufactures need to look into how much windows buyers really want and look at improving insulation in roofs and walls
Don

While I agree with you, I think a better approach would be to spread the windows out to allow for more air flow without having to use AC or a plethora of strategically placed fans.

As an example, our Prowler only has two windows that open on the door side . . . one in the bedroom (escape hatch/wedge window) and the other just outside the bedroom at the top of the stairs (about a 12 x 12 inch opening), and no other windows that open all the way to the back of the trailer (I know, the kitchen and entertainment center slide is there), except for the entrance door (might be nice to have a slider window in the door).

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020314.jpg

ProwlerInSantaFe-IMAG0216.jpg

On the off door side, the only windows are in the slide (two little windows that open about 8-inches, one slider that opens maybe 2 x 2 feet, and a wedge window that is low and doesn't provide much air flow), and no others period on that side of the trailer.

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020324.jpg

Of course, no front window or one on the front off door side (closet slide) . . .

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020317.jpg

And now for that huge rear window, which does open up pretty big (the whole off door side of the window maybe 3 x 3 feet), however, the factory supplied window shade only opens up about 1/3 of the way before it gets all crumpled up and won't slide up any further (already had it replaced under warranty and the new one is worse than the original), so having that window opened up at the bottom does nothing for air flow.

ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg

Original from the factory window shade . . .

ProwlerDefectsRearWindowShade-P1000776.jpg

New window shade that was the replacement under warranty from the factory . . .

ProwlerNewShade-P7070410.jpg

The mobile repair tech that installed the new shade said that he felt that this type of shade SHOULD NOT be used on a window this big . . .

I'm just going to take measurements and have a new and different type of window shade made for this window as it seems that all Heartland wants to do is to put another shade just like this one in . . . which is obviously not the answer!

Anywayz . . .

Now, I know it must be tough to try to cover all the bases when designing an RV, but you would think that air flow without having to run three AC units would be a top priority, most especially since many that own RV's camp where there are no hookups, which is supposed to be one of the freedoms of camping (getting away from it all)!

danemayer

While I agree with you, I think a better approach would be to spread the windows out to allow for more air flow without having to use AC or a plethora of strategically placed fans.
John,

You should visit Texas or Central/South Florida in August. You might vote for better air conditioning over better window placement.

Westwind

While snowbirding in Florida during the months of Jan/Feb/March we would love a awning window on each side of the coach that would allow cross ventilation and with the fantastic fan and cover we would be able to pull in air, the slide window are nice for ventilation but not in rain.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, I found the AC solution. Trees!! Today we are in San Antonio, with an afternoon shaded site. At 4:30 today it was 99, 36% humidity so felt like 100. Inside it was 77.9, thanks to the shade of a tree. As the afternoon sun blazed and temp went up to 101, the temp inside actually went down! 75.6! Wow! Thank you shade tree!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Well, I found the AC solution. Trees!! Today we are in San Antonio, with an afternoon shaded site. At 4:30 today it was 99, 36% humidity so felt like 100. Inside it was 77.9, thanks to the shade of a tree. As the afternoon sun blazed and temp went up to 101, the temp inside actually went down! 75.6! Wow! Thank you shade tree!!!

Heat load from direct sun is the big driver.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I love San Antonio . . . can't wait to get back down that way!

Although watch out for the speed trap in Blanco . . . cost me $200.00! :p

jimtoo

You guys gonna be in SA for a month or so? What park?

Jim M

Crossbow

Those window shades work fine for large windows. It is just you have to look at the accordian fold every time before you pull it up. If a dog, cat, or goat?, puts his nose on it and then you don't straighten it before pulling it up the next day, the crease will be worse and permanent. You also have to use the sides of the shade to raise and lower in unison with the opposite side. If you pull up from the middle and the curtain binds on the string and tilts, you can have the shade stay slip out of the plastic holder and forever mess up your screen.

wdk450

While going through a similar heat wave last summer, I thought it would help a lot to rig up a big tarp sunshade on the most solar affected side of the trailer, or at least over the refrigerator slide to help the refrig.

avvidclif

Sitting in an RV park in Canton, TX. 99deg outside, 72 in the RV. Minimal shade. Gotta love a 50a hookup.

TravelTiger

Sitting in an RV park in Canton, TX. 99deg outside, 72 in the RV. Minimal shade. Gotta love a 50a hookup.

Clif, we have 50amp and two ACs, but I think we are trying to cool more living space. 5 slides, 3 good sized windows in 3 of those slides.

I think when we get back to our home park we are going to be adjusting the placement of the rig on our site, to maximize the tree shade.

TravelTiger

OK,,, Have fun while your there. Thought we might try to meet up at some point. Will catch you later. :)

Jim M

Sorry Jim! A "business trip" for Tony, and I've worked every waking minute at the rig. Going to the DCI Southwest Marching Competition tomorrow, and head back on Sunday. Looks like we have a mini rally going on here at the KOA. I'm between a BigHorn and a Greystone!

jimtoo

My daughters brother-in-law will probably be there. He is band director at Boerne Champion, last name Arnott.

Have fun and hope you do good.

Jim M

BusManRG

Sorry Jim! A "business trip" for Tony, and I've worked every waking minute at the rig. Going to the DCI Southwest Marching Competition tomorrow, and head back on Sunday. Looks like we have a mini rally going on here at the KOA. I'm between a BigHorn and a Greystone!

Wow! I didn't realize there would be other marching band fans here!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!