Palo Duro Canyon State Park

Abear79

Can my Texas brethren answer a few questions please? Really thinking about going to Palo Dura Canyon State Park for Thanksgiving 2018. Is it really as nice as it looks on the internet? And do they offer full hookups or need a porta tank? Finally is it worth the 13+ hr drive? We are an outdoor family. We like hiking, biking, and whatever else we can get into. Any pros and cons will be appreciated. Thanks

TexasTraveler2017

We were just there over the 4th of July and for a family reunion and it was really nice. It was too hot to really do any hiking so we definitely plan on going back in the fall or spring. They don't have any full hookup sites. We stayed in the Juniper loop right next to one of the bathrooms and they had really nice shower facilities so we took showers so that we didn't fill up the gray tank.

IMG_1521.jpgIMG_1759.jpgIMG_1758.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you're the outdoorsy type, there's lots to see (hike). We went in June and saw Texas, the outdoor musical, which was beyond amazing, just too darn hot!!

It's only June-August, tho.

http://www.texas-show.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty325

This is the time of year we go to the Dakota's, Colorado, or other high elevation the Pan Handle is in the high plains and stays hot in August. Saying that, we are He added to Galveston island in August

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Abear79

This is the time of year we go to the Dakota's, Colorado, or other high elevation the Pan Handle is in the high plains and stays hot in August. Saying that, we are He added to Galveston island in August

SO, how would the temp be in November at Palo Dura? We heading to Gulf State Park in August. Temp usually not an issue. We are used to the 90's. 90+ degrees with 90% humidity, with a 90% chance of rain. lol

Smitty325

I would think their website would have that, or checking Amarillo weather would be close. I am in Dallas and it is just painfully hot and humid...but, the canyon will not have the humidity

TravelTiger

The play runs only June and August? I youtubed it. We would like to see it.

June through August.

4641cb660f32916ff2940535d1ff4145.png

TexasTraveler2017

SO, how would the temp be in November at Palo Dura? We heading to Gulf State Park in August. Temp usually not an issue. We are used to the 90's. 90+ degrees with 90% humidity, with a 90% chance of rain. lol

Generally you are looking at highs in the 50s-60s and lows in the 30s-40s in November. The main reason we went in July was to go watch Texas. During the day, if there wasn't a breeze it definitely got toasty. Sitting in the shade with a breeze wasn't bad at all. Fortunately, we had storms roll in every evening so that helped cool things down in the evenings. In fact, the night we went to Texas, a storm rolled in at the exact perfect time to match the part of the play when they were having a west texas thunderstorm. Most of the crowd had a big laugh, the others got up and left. They missed out because the storm actually held off until after the play was over. It didn't start raining until we got back to our campsite.

TravelTiger

It's actually hotter lower in the canyon. But there is far less humidity out in West Texas in general. Do not go by Amarillo, they're not the same weather.

DMaxRocks

We have camped in Palo Duro Canyon State Park twice over Thanksgiving. It is a great place, and had a lot of fun. There are great hiking and biking paths plus a lot of wildlife to see. My son and I hiked out of the canyon and jumped Dahl sheep, deer and all kinds of other creatures. The second time we stayed, two days after we left they received almost a foot of snow, so you never know what kind of weather you may get. Another thing, keep an ear out for the emergency siren. You can get flash floods from rains north of the canyon. It is a great place to visit, and my family and I have really enjoyed it.

Mark

MTPockets

June & I were camp hosts for one month (May) 2012. We had camped there before and our month there was great. Lots of nice hikes, horseback rides. Water & Elec hook ups only, but dump stations.

Abear79

It's actually hotter lower in the canyon. But there is far less humidity out in West Texas in general. Do not go by Amarillo, they're not the same weather.

Thanks, That's what we had looked up to get an idea of the avg.