Personal Protection ammo

traveler44

We live in Illinois where only the bad guys and the police can carry guns so everybody else have to hide theirs- so we have to go over to Indiana to shoot. There is one good gun range up the road from us but if you read the reviews on the computer everybody says the old guy that runs the Glenwood gun shop, now, is some kind of a nut. We took my .380 auto over to an OUTDOOR range in Indiana and they let us shoot as long as somebody with a local permit was right there. Mary wanted to shoot a .22 so we went to an Indiana INDOOR range down in this dinky boiler room downstairs. I was hanging the target and felt just a little exposed -leaning in- when it sounded like dynamite went off right beside my head from the next stall over. I jumped and screamed and ripped the target I was trying to hang all at the same time. I could tell by the look on Marys face that I better let her shoot quick because we weren't going to be there long. On the way out the guy asked how we liked shooting and I told him it was a little loud down there. Then on the way out to the car Mary showed me she got a little burn from a shell casing on her forehead at the hair line. I may never get her to shoot a gun again. Just bad luck I guess. -- Tom and Mary

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
The newest bad round on the market is actually a real stopper. There have been the "black talon", the Buffalo bullets, glazers and a host of others that now have been put on many a "don't want list." A round now made by Hornady called the "critical defense" round available in 9mm, .380 and the ever popular .45 ACP is creating quite a interest. Truely it is a devastating round especially in the 185 gr .45 ACP

KipinGa.

9mm Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P are in them right now. But would also be perfectly comfortable carrying with Hornady, Federal, Remington, and/or Winchester.

Mind set and shot placement are more important than brand name, IMO.
Heavy winter coats can clog HP ammo and result in it not expanding properly.
I'm changing over to Hornady's Critical Defense or Federal EFMJ for winter.

Kip

imchud

I use Hornady or really any good defence round, I carry a Sig p238 .380 - or my Khar Pm9 - 9mm --- Anything much bigger then that pulls my pants down. When I'm traveling my wife sleeps with a good friend of mine....

Meet My Friend... Sig P220 45acp...
P220-Equinox-Hero-Detail.jpg

hart1369

:Dmy fav is a 45 acp but i must say ive never thought of any 45 as pretty but that sig sure is a thing of beauty:D

robnmo

:Dmy fav is a 45 acp but i must say ive never thought of any 45 as pretty but that sig sure is a thing of beauty:D

I'll 2nd that one, got a couple of em around, I get the 3rd one June 1st, :D they're just a thing of pure beauty. :D

KipinGa.

The best ammo and the best gun in the world are not very effective, unless the shooter is reasonably skillful or real lucky.

Practice makes perfect! Under stressful conditions, such as our lives being threatened, we loose a lot of "fine" motor skills and go into a "fight or flight" mode.

That is not the time to try remembering how to use our mode of defense, a firearm in this case. We should practice with our firearm on a regular basis, so that it comes naturally if ever needed.

>The very best defense is to avoid a situation whenever possible.

>Never go anywhere with a gun that we wouldn't go without one.

>Never show a gun in hopes of scaring someone off.

>If a situation has deteriated to the point that we need the gun, then plan on shooting it, and being accurate. (Practice)

>Don't go looking for a strange noise or disturbance, you may find it!

>Sit tight in a defensive position and call the police. That is why we pay them.

> Remember that when seconds count, the police are just a few minutes away. So stay safe until they arrive.

Kip

Brett2413

I just bought a Judge for my wife for x-mas, last time we went out to shot she didn't have what I would call a good comfort level with her 9mm. I want her to be safe in the house when I'm not there, but I want the neighbors to be safe also. I figured with the Judge it is less complicated then the 9mm and I can tell her to shot center of mass till she can see through it. Now I have to research ammo for it, they have started to make a lot more 410 veriations of late.

Buford445

Always Remember the Best Self Defense Ammo has "FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION" on the box so when the Lawyer asks why you used the Ammo you say "The Box Said it was for Personal Protection" that's way I bought it.

hart1369

I just bought a Judge for my wife for x-mas, last time we went out to shot she didn't have what I would call a good comfort level with her 9mm. I want her to be safe in the house when I'm not there, but I want the neighbors to be safe also. I figured with the Judge it is less complicated then the 9mm and I can tell her to shot center of mass till she can see through it. Now I have to research ammo for it, they have started to make a lot more 410 veriations of late.
winchester makes a sd 410 for the judge it has 3 disc and some buckshot behind them i would load the last 2 cylinders with 45 lc

OhioJay

winchester makes a sd 410 for the judge it has 3 disc and some buckshot behind them i would load the last 2 cylinders with 45 lc

The defense shells will have more stopping power than the .45 bullet. And, being a shot shell and not a bullet, odds are better that you'll hit your target.

No offense intended, Hart, but I don't know why people say to load a few .45's for the last two shots. The only possible reason could be for a longer shot. The bullet will travel farther and be more effective at a distance than the shot shell. True. If You've already shot 3 rounds, why would you want the last two rounds to go farther than the previous three?

1) If you've missed with the first three shots, and he's still coming, you'll want the shot shell loads, again, large shot pattern, big knockdown power.

2) Or, the "bad guy" is already on the ground (and no longer a threat)

3) Or, he is fleeing, and you'll shoot him in the back. Personally, I'm okay with it. But you may end up with some legal troubles, and have a hard time explaining why you shot a fleeing suspect in the back!!

The Winchester defense ammo is what I use. It has three discs, and 12 BB sized pellets. The "discs" are sort of like a small sweet-tart. They are maybe 4 or 5 mm thick, and maybe 10 or 11 mm wide. Cut one open. It's pretty neat to see just what's inside them.

hart1369

The defense shells will have more stopping power than the .45 bullet. And, being a shot shell and not a bullet, odds are better that you'll hit your target.

No offense intended, Hart, but I don't know why people say to load a few .45's for the last two shots. The only possible reason could be for a longer shot. The bullet will travel farther and be more effective at a distance than the shot shell. True. If You've already shot 3 rounds, why would you want the last two rounds to go farther than the previous three?

1) If you've missed with the first three shots, and he's still coming, you'll want the shot shell loads, again, large shot pattern, big knockdown power.

2) Or, the "bad guy" is already on the ground (and no longer a threat)

3) Or, he is fleeing, and you'll shoot him in the back. Personally, I'm okay with it. But you may end up with some legal troubles, and have a hard time explaining why you shot a fleeing suspect in the back!!

The Winchester defense ammo is what I use. It has three discs, and 12 BB sized pellets. The "discs" are sort of like a small sweet-tart. They are maybe 4 or 5 mm thick, and maybe 10 or 11 mm wide. Cut one open. It's pretty neat to see just what's inside them.
you forgot bg seeking cover and returning fire just a thought . my edc is a 45acp second magazine is usally ball ammo same thought

argyll1st

WOW, I have just read this thread and being from Scotland were handguns are against the law in any shape and have been for nearly 20 years this thread seems very very frightning, It sound as though you are planning a murder not a position of self defence, to buy a bullet because it will kill more people than a normal one sounds .........well, I guess a bit evil, its like , its not enough to shot the person, you want to "Blow a huge hole" out the middle of them, what if you mis-fired out of panic ? , Its all new to me.

Pulltab

John, it probably does look that way but the real issue is when you are being attacked by an assailant that you MUST stop them as quickly as possible. Otherwise you might as well throw pebbles at them. The secondary consideration is you don't want the bullet to pass thru the person possibly injuring an innocent bystander. You gotta remember these are people that mean to cause you serious harm or death and it is a reality in todays world. No one wants to shoot anyone but if it comes down to him or me, he loses.

jcarnevale

A lot of good advise. Just to repeat some of it: Training, Training, Training, enough said.

Wife's 930SPX pistol grip: 3" 00BK
My HK: 40 S&W 180gr HST JHP............................only because it's free :)

Pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of weapon you have and best suits your likely engagement scenarios.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
WOW, I have just read this thread and being from Scotland were handguns are against the law in any shape and have been for nearly 20 years this thread seems very very frightning, It sound as though you are planning a murder not a position of self defence, to buy a bullet because it will kill more people than a normal one sounds .........well, I guess a bit evil, its like , its not enough to shot the person, you want to "Blow a huge hole" out the middle of them, what if you mis-fired out of panic ? , Its all new to me.

Say, mate, when was the last time you saw an airport in the US mortared by some clowns firing from the back of a pickup?

I seem to remember something like that happening in Merry Olde England a few years ago. Handguns weren't always illegal there.

Lefty Frizzell
Clan Fraser

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
A lot of good advise. Just to repeat some of it: Training, Training, Training, enough said.

Wife's 930SPX pistol grip: 3" 00BK
My HK: 40 S&W 180gr HST JHP............................only because it's free :)

Pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of weapon you have and best suits your likely engagement scenarios.

Quick question...how many of you guys have ever shot someone...and accidental shootings don't count.