Phantom voltage from frame to ground

DenaliHD

I have a 2012 BigHorn 3610RE with 45 volts showing on my volt meter from the frame to the ground WHY????
Its a 50 amp system but I'm plugged into my garage. Will that problem go away when I plug into a 50 amp service?

danemayer

Hi DenaliHD,

First of all, this is a very dangerous condition and you should immediately unplug from your power source so no one gets injured.

Second, get a non-contact voltage tester at your local hardware store. Skip the $10 variety and spend $20 to get one that works better. That'll let you check for voltage without actually touching the energized area or endangering yourself.

Third, check the ground connections on your power cord, extension cords, adapters, and outlet. Part of the problem is that you probably have a bad ground connection.

Fourth, you probably have something shorted or leaking current inside the RV. One way to test this is to turn off all of the circuit breakers inside the coach. Turn them on one by one while testing for current on the frame, using the non-contact tester (assuming you haven't fixed the ground problem).

It's not all that common, but the heating element in your water heater can develop shorts. I think if you let the anode rod wear down too far, that can contribute to a heating element problem.

Keep in mind that fixing the ground problem on your power connection may hide the problem. The leaking/shorted current will flow to ground without giving you a "hot skin".

You can read more about "hot skin" here.

Last edited:
This may or may not be a problem in your trailer. First step is to check out the service receptacle you are plugged into. Make sure your receptacle has a good neutral and ground by checking with your meter. Open neutrals could cause this voltage to ground. Electricity must have he neutral path back to the source or you will have voltage going to ground. Ground wires are for your safety not normal current.

mlpeloquin

I have a Big Horn 3010RE. I found an open ground and a open hot. This appeared to be from quick construction. The first set of three wires were not fully seated at the bottom of the insulation displacement fingers. This did not allow enough room to properly seat the third wire set in the socket that fed the socket in question. Yes the problem my not be where it shows up. I seated the wires all the way down. Problem solved. Make sure you disconnect the main power prior to opening power sockets up.

Open Ground.jpg

scottyb

I experienced this. It started as a tingle and became a jolt on wet ground. Take it seriously.

DenaliHD

Thank you for all the information ref. My phantom voltage to ground. I believe I found the problem with a 30 amp cord that I was plugged into. After plugging into a 50 amp pedistal the problem was gone.

danemayer

You probably still have something in the coach that is leaking voltage. 1st place to check is the heating element in the water heater.