Pin box movement..design issue?

piach

I was curious if anyone was having a similar/same problem. I have a 2009 BC3490 BHS, purchased new in july 2009 and have been on no more than 10 trips, mostly local places, and would guess 1000-2000 miles total. On our last trip (july 2011), while cleaning up the coach, I noticed a gap near the seal for the nose cone by the pin box. Also, there was a loud squeak in the master bedroom floor near the closet almost directly over the pin box when you walked on the floor. I had it looked into and as of today, the issue seems to be from excessive movement of the pin box. No welds have broken yet, as the unit is at the repair shop, but previous heartland units have been brought in with the same issue, but welds have broke already on those units. My understanding is there is to be little to no movement there as that is what supports the weight of the coach. The repair shop will be contacting Heartland to try and get this covered as there is just way too much movement, and it is one trip away from breaking welds, seals, etc. The fix is reinforcement bars to better distribute the weight, but this is going to be expensive. I will get that quote early next week. My hopes is that Heartland will help me and stand by their product and make the necessary repairs. Any feedback, advise, suggestions would be helpful

I would contact Heartland Service myself if I were you. Explain your situation and provide your Vin # along with pictures if possible.
Last week I E-mailed Heartland explaining a problem I have with the basement door on the drivers side of our 08 Bighorn turning yellow.
I received a call the next day. To make a long story short, Hearland agreed to split the cost of a new door with me. I think this is
a reasonable solution to my problem , seeing as how the unit is going on 4 years old. Allthou I don't think the door should have turned
yellow in the first place.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I can't say that HL will help you or not. By reading of these situations before, they may want you to bring your BC to the factory to repair it. I would call HL yourself and talk to them. Explain what is happening in a calm way then go from there. JMHO

piach

Well, just off the phone and yup..bring it to the factory. The only problem is I live in California. The nose cone is off, front fiberglass is off to expose the frame. For what I'm into this to find the problem and make the fix now would be cheaper that to try and put it all back together and ship it. I simply don't understand why the price to ship falls in my lap, or why it has to be shipped to Elkhart vs any closest qualified RV repair facility. I have full confidence in the repair shop is currently is at, apparently heartland factory rep doens't. Just disappointed to say the least. :(