Plumbing nightmare

It sure sounds like no PDI was done, It sounds like you should be going back to your dealer for a refund,on the PDI, our Big Country came from Cottonwood RV in Chilliwack and we did not pay extra for the PDI,I am sure it is hidden in the cost of the unit, yes they missed one small leak at the water pump/filter but it was just a weaping leak,

sidney dreyfus

We bought our 3670RL 2 years ago. We were invited by the dealer to live in our camper before we signed or payed for anything. We lived in our camper for 2 or 3 days in the parking lot of the dealer putting together a list of problems we noticed. The dealer had an electric and water hookup in their parking lot. They took care of all the problems and then we payed for our camper. Since then we have never regreted buying our Heartland 3670RL camper. Sure we have had problems. Even now I have to replace the 50 amp Hydraulic circuit breaker with an 80 amp one provided free of charge by Heartland. Thanks to all the great people on this forum and Heartland having their heart in the right place.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we took delivery of ours in March, General RV (Birch Run) had it inside, hooked to water and electric. We spent a couple of hours with the tech going over everything, operating everything. There was no rush on their part to get it done, we were done when I said we were. Opened the basement wall and found a small leak (loose sediment filter on water pump). They had already run water through the plumbing and had the fridge running when we got there. While we were doing that, they installed the hitch in my truck, pulled it out and set my brake controller. Out in the parking lot, I pulled it around a bit to get the feel and away we went. A few days later, we took it to a local campground and spent a few days in it, going over everything again. Even got the furballs yeowl of approval. Since then, I've fixed some things while it was in storage before hauling it to our seasonal site and since we've parked it. They're annoying when you find them, you wish it were perfect, but nothing is. So far, they've been minor problems anyone with basic skills can fix.

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Plumbing nightmare update

Just wanted to let you all know that my dealer appologized for not doing a proper PDI. He was quite surprised about it not being done, as the technician who was to do the job was one of their best. He must of been thinking of a heavy date that evening. lol :D
There was no restitution or thankyou for all my work. :mad:
They claim that they don't charge for the PDI, that it's included in the selling price, but there is a seperate line item for it on our purchase order, go figure? :confused:
We are now waiting for some warrenty work that has to be done, the biggest of which is the large rear window. There is moisture between the glass panes, so whole window must be replaced. I sure hope they know what they're doing.
They say that patience is a virtue.

caissiel

I have been very satisfied with the PDI done on my trailer. But I have done lots of checking in the last 3 weeks and repaired some minor stuff that developped. One thing is the kitchen sink drain. The cardboard got wet and the drain seal was seaping. I cannot figure why that cardborad is there for. I am not a plumber but I just never use it I like rubber on steel, Its there for allowing the nut to slip, but a wet cardboard can not allow the nut to be thighten after it leaked. I just wet the rubber and slip the nut on and thinghten it with my hands and so far in my 40 years never experienced a leak at the drain. Also you should see the crap of rubber being used as a rubber seal, its far from being smooth rubber. I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me it was the only warranty call he had on his new Jayco, so this must be an occuring problem with kitchen sink drains. Maybe a house is stationary and trailers move a lot so the unit loosens.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
We had a bad leak at sink drains also. I replaced the foam gasket with good old plumbers putty. So far all is well.

Mike

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Over thirty years of towing trailers around...sink drains are notorious for "vibrating" loose...we check on a regular basis, and just retighten when necessary.:)

caissiel

True that is what I meant with the Paper shim gasket. It gets wet and not able to retorque. So far I cannot complain that is the only leak I found here.

wdk450

We had a bad leak at sink drains also. I replaced the foam gasket with good old plumbers putty. So far all is well.

Mike

With all of the shaking/vibration in an RV, I used RV Goo elastometric sealant on the sink under the flange.

jbeletti

For what it is worth, I asked production what the proper sequence for all the sink stuff is and here is the answer:
The cardboard is the last piece before the nut. It keeps the rubber from binding when tightening the nut.

1. basket strainer
  2. foam gasket or putty
  3. the sink
  4. rubber gasket
  5. cardboard washer
  6. the nut

JohnDar

I recently found both of my sink drains to be loose enough to spin the drain flange in the sink. And this rig hasn't moved since May. Just another fitting or two to check occasionally.

rick_debbie_gallant

Yur right Johnny Boy. Just like owning a house or vehicle, or anything else man-made. Ya have to do the preventive stuff and check stuff before it leaks or breaks. Guess that is why they call it preventive maintenance and we all have check lists of stuff to check. Now where is my list????????:confused:

JohnDar

Yur right Johnny Boy. Just like owning a house or vehicle, or anything else man-made. Ya have to do the preventive stuff and check stuff before it leaks or breaks. Guess that is why they call it preventive maintenance and we all have check lists of stuff to check. Now where is my list????????:confused:

You betcha. But it is mighty frustrating when things go bad during the warranty period and YOU are left hanging because it's "the vendor's fault." Whose name is plastered on the front of the rig? I've been waiting 2 weeks to get that P.o.C. electric awning motor replaced. The vendor WILL be getting a demand for reimbursement of the service call charges.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I recently found both of my sink drains to be loose enough to spin the drain flange in the sink. And this rig hasn't moved since May. Just another fitting or two to check occasionally.
We found ours leaking the first time we used the sink. They had the rubber gasket under the strainer and the paper "gasket" in between the sink and the flange nut. In other words,
strainer
rubber gasket
sink hole
paper
flange nut
There was no use of putty at all. I just considered it inexperienced assemblers. No problems since then.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I guess we are lucky regarding plumbing issues. On the first day we had a leak under bathroom sink that even a novice could figure out was a loose pipe. Twice when I was sani-flushing the black tank, we had a water leak that came from under the wall separating the commode from the front door. After pulling the floor molding, we sopped it up and it never could be duplicated. When we pulled the fire extinguisher off to see behind the wall I saw a mishmash of different color tubing, and alot of sawdust and damp spots. It remains a mystery 17,000 miles later. As long as no flood, or ruined working parts, I am cool. I just would like to figure out what caused the leak?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Larry...we had a similar leak when using the sani-flush. Removed cargo wall to gain better access to area under toilet room. Discovered a small slit in the hose that goes down into the black tank. It sprayed water everytime the flush was used.

I was able to make a simple repair using Rescue Tape. The alternative would have been to cut the hose and splice in a connector to eliminate the cut...either is just as effective. Has stayed dry ever since.

My suggestion...investigate further. You have alot of electrical wiring and your converter in this area...water is not a good mix...good luck!:)

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it, it only happened twice in 17K miles. What does that tell you. Sticky valve?